PDA

View Full Version : A snoring Hound dog

Jim
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I walked into the living room a few minutes ago to find Dolly sound asleep on the couch and snoring like a chain saw.

CHECK THIS OUT! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7tR7SER3KM&feature=youtu.be)

alrighty
03-04-2013, 01:14 PM
That sounds just like my deer grunt call!

Edubya
03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I can take the snoring, it's the pooping that gets her thrown out. Had one that would always come over and sit down next to me and after a short while the aroma would hit. All I had to do was call his name, "Rebel!" and he'd get this look on his face that said, "Sorry" and head for the back door.
It got so that I couldn't let him into the house, especially after he had gulped down his dinner.

EW

Smitty's Retired
03-04-2013, 01:41 PM
My better half just came by and heard the video as I was playing it. She said Dolly was more quiet than me.

cbrick
03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Tizzie snores like that too plus she gets her paws moving like she's dreaming & chasing something. The next door lab comes over to visit and always goes to the rear sliding door. All of a sudden from sound asleep Tizzie jumps straight up in the air barking and heads to the door. Then she turns around & looks at me like - what did you do with my friend, she was right here.

If a dog barks on the TV she jumps up & runs laps around the house, then she runs up to me like she's thinking, there's another dog here but don't worry I'll find it & off she goes running more laps.

Rick

WILCO
03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Living the life of Riley!

wcp4570
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
That's a good one. It always makes me laugh when they get to chasing something in their sleep.

wcp

**oneshot**
03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
sweet music to my ears!

JeffinNZ
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Leave her be Jim. Has she not suffered enough with the previous forum ridicule?

cdet69
03-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Still cute to watch.

Johnch
03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
My lab snoored just like that
He and the cat snooring would wake me up at night

God made pets to keep us sain

John

Olevern
03-04-2013, 06:25 PM
My wife's dog snores something awful, and I can't reach it to poke it (sleeps on the other side of my wife). So....the drill works like this: 1.) I awaken because of the snoring 2.) I poke my wife and say "dog" 3.) wife pokes the dog and, 4.) dog indignately stands up, shifts position, then settles down again and doesn't snore for five minutes 5.) repeat process

scottiemom
03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
this was her "quiet" snore. You should hear her when she really lets loose!

smokeywolf
03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Timber "the Goofy Wolf" growls and twitches when he sleeps. He does more puppy dreaming than any other dog I've ever had.

smokeywolf

ACrowe25
03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Looks like a great dog! Tired from a long hard day's worth of work lol.

SlippShodd
03-05-2013, 12:32 AM
"Useless as brakes on a boat."

Mm-hmm.

gandydancer
03-05-2013, 12:48 AM
One very content hound. Thanks jim. and by the way slippshodd I know many people who fit that quote. But a good dog. NEVER! :kidding: GD

SlippShodd
03-05-2013, 03:31 AM
and by the way slippshodd I know many people who fit that quote. But a good dog. NEVER! :kidding: GD

Oh, I totally agree, GD. I'm a boneyfied dog dude myself, with 2 current furry friends, one of which is snoring not too far from me right now. I gots dog stories. I was simply quoting Jim his own self from a while back, taking a little poke at a man what would say such a thing about the love of his life (no offense, Scottiemom).
Besides, it was the funniest damn thing I'd heard in a while when he said it.

mike

winelover
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
We have a 5 month old female Boxer pup that the wife claims is a male in disguise! All she does is snore and pass gas!! But Bella sure is cute.

Winelover

x101airborne
03-05-2013, 10:22 AM
We lost our 1 year old hound, Bonnie last week. Lived next to the highway since before we had her and I thought she was trained to stay back. She wouldn't even follow me to the mailbox. I let her out to potty and within 5 minutes I heard her get hit. That was a tough day.
Treasure yours like I know you do.
I sure miss mine.

cbrick
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
We lost our 1 year old hound, Bonnie last week. Lived next to the highway since before we had her and I thought she was trained to stay back. She wouldn't even follow me to the mailbox. I let her out to potty and within 5 minutes I heard her get hit. That was a tough day. Treasure yours like I know you do. I sure miss mine.

Well that just ruined my day, what a bummer.

I have no choice but to keep my hound on a leash or chain outside. Not only does she have no clue about a road but everything of that dog from eyes back is nothing more than a life support system for the nose. Wherever the nose goes the dog follows, if she were loose the nose would be glued to the ground and she would be in the next county before she even knew she wasn't at home anymore.

Rick

Olevern
03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
We lost our 1 year old hound, Bonnie last week. Lived next to the highway since before we had her and I thought she was trained to stay back. She wouldn't even follow me to the mailbox. I let her out to potty and within 5 minutes I heard her get hit. That was a tough day.
Treasure yours like I know you do.
I sure miss mine.

Sorry for your loss, Trey,
I know the kids are taking it hard.
blessings,
vern

TheDoctor
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I have four dogs, all different breeds, and they ALL snore. So does my oldest son, and my wife! Wife denies it, blames it on one the dogs. Same as when she cuts one. Blames that on one of the dogs, by name even. Must have a precision calibrated sniffer. Some nights, my house sounds, and smells, like a lumberjack convention.

alrighty
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I have four dogs, all different breeds, and they ALL snore. So does my oldest son, and my wife! Wife denies it, blames it on one the dogs. Same as when she cuts one. Blames that on one of the dogs, by name even. Must have a precision calibrated sniffer. Some nights, my house sounds, and smells, like a lumberjack convention.
That has got to be the quote of the week!

JeffinNZ
03-05-2013, 05:16 PM
WINELOVER: Our black lab is a 'Bella' also and is flatus to boot! Toot, toot, toot.

DCM
03-05-2013, 09:04 PM
WINELOVER: Our black lab is a 'Bella' also and is flatus to boot! Toot, toot, toot.

Jeff and Winelover what do you feed them?
My current dog gets Eukanuba(Sp?) and has more gas than any dog that I have ever known of.

DCM
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
That's a good one. It always makes me laugh when they get to chasing something in their sleep.

wcp

Awful loud at times too!
Sometimes I get the urge to wake them but I figure they are enjoying it so I usually let them go.

GL49
03-05-2013, 09:31 PM
That explains why George has taken up drinking.

winelover
03-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Jeff and Winelover what do you feed them?
My current dog gets Eukanuba(Sp?) and has more gas than any dog that I have ever known of.

Breeder had her on Purina Puppy chow, we switched over to Iam's puppy, upon recommendation of her vet. Didn't make any difference. Still tooting!

Winelover

Jim
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
We feed our dogs Racheal Ray's Nutrish (http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/nutrish-premium-dog-foods)dry food. It's a bit more expensive than the average 'house' brands, but it's good food. The dogs like it and they don't seem to have any problems digesting it. And there's no 'bouquet'. [smilie=1:

winelover
03-06-2013, 08:53 AM
We feed our dogs Racheal Ray's Nutrish (http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/nutrish-premium-dog-foods)dry food. It's a bit more expensive than the average 'house' brands, but it's good food. The dogs like it and they don't seem to have any problems digesting it. And there's no 'bouquet'. [smilie=1:

Haven't run across it in our area. I use to feed Kasco "High Energy" to my dogs when I lived in Michigan. Can't find that either. It was very inexpensive and the dogs preferred it over Iam's / Eukanuba!

Winelover

cbrick
03-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't think it's the food as much as it is most Boxers I've known pretty much had perpetual butt burps. Kinda like the drooling, just goes with the dog but a better dog is pretty tough to find.

Rick

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
My dog BO snored , he would lay on the floor and the snore would echo thru the wood floors

he was Beagle and Bassets hound mix , had a nose but no legs to keep up with it , so i would see the rabbit run off five minutes before he got to were it ran from

had to have him put down in December when he lost the use of his back legs , just old

I do sleep better now, he would get up 1-2 times every night near the end , but sure miss him when i am cooking he always waited for what hit the floor

my youngest would dress him in cloths and put hats on him and such and he just took it all , i would have bit her a dozen times over but he never did.

popper
03-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Four month old Sydney found a big rabbit in the yard last nite. She kept up with him for 3 rounds of the yard, just a couple steps behind. He ditched her at the fence in a dark spot - I heard a thud & couple yelps. Rabbit scurried under the fence, she didn't see it and couldn't stop. She doesn't snore but does the whimper when she sleeps.

DCM
03-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Man its' gotta be something with our dogs chemistry.
My wife got a sample of that, the dog liked it but we were very sorry about it later. PEW!

bruce drake
03-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Purina Large Dog for the Lab and Purina Small Dog for the ****zhu. The wife won't let me blame the dog anymore for the toots as she claims its me...

smokeywolf
03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Timber, the Wolamute (Wolf/Malamute) gets ground turkey that we buy in 1lb. chubs, chicken that we usually buy at Smart & Final or Costco, beef that I usually carve up from a top round roast, canned mackerel, sardines, or salmon, and occasionally a dry food called Orijen which is made in Canada. His chicken, turkey and beef is never cooked.

Dogs don't digest grains well at all, and for the most part don't need grains in their diet. This may account for some of the flatulence your dogs (and therefore you) are suffering from. This of course is disputed by the big dog food companies who rely on cheap grains as a filler and binder in their kibble. Dogs also don't get much out of starches, excepting for potato starch.
Many allergies that dogs suffer from are brought on or triggered by corn or wheat.

Contrary to what the big pet food companies would like you to believe, dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. Omnivores have flat molars shaped for grinding grains, plant fibers, and starches and have the ability to move their lower jaw in a side-to-side motion as they grind those grains, fibers and starches. A dogs teeth, jaw, and digestive tract is designed for eating meats. Dogs also do not produce the enzyme amylase in their saliva. This is the enzyme that allows the conversion of starchy carbohydrates into sugars before entering the stomach. The fact that dogs will eat certain plant matter or processed grains does not mean that they are omnivores. They are in fact, carnivores who are at the same time, opportunistic feeders.

Although I can't recommend feeding your dogs raw meat like we do, you might try switching to a grain-free kibble. Costco even carries a grain-free food called "Nature's Domain". Be forewarned though, potato starch can also make for a gassy dog.

smokeywolf

TXGunNut
03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
I always fed Buddy Purina Lamb & Rice, kept him trimmer than Iams' version. Only time he had gas it was people-food related. Cheese was generally a bad idea. ;-)