PDA

View Full Version : Chief Otto Parts

Bren R.
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Started this project over a year ago when I was given a Savage 99C action as a "parts gun" by my 'uncle' (actually my ex's uncle) - on closer inspection, it turned out it was my first ever hunting rifle had come back to me after a trip around the nephews as their first rifle.

Needless to say, I couldn't let the ol' girl go to parts, so it became the basis for a .358 Winchester build.

It got sent off to Master Barrelmaker Ron K. Smith to be rebored and hook rifled last February. Just got it back last week, he's not fast, but he's good. 1 in 12 twist.

A view of the chamber. The muzzle end looks a lot different with "them 50 extra calibres." :)

Loose first fitting of the buttstock and showing the forestock cocobolo inlay. The pistol grip will get a similar inlay - keeping to the lines of the original checkering, and my signature - contrasting insets around the sling swivel studs.

Can just see the edge of the skeletonized stainless grip cap that Red River Rick made for me. Cocobolo inset on that as well.

Now to have the patience for spring to come.

Bren R.

nhrifle
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I love seeing a worn out rifle given new life. Very nice job!

nekshot
03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Sweet rifle and the history to boot.

Bren R.
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Much obliged. Always wanted a .358win and this seemed like the perfect time to build one, since I needed another .308 like a hole in the head.

It'll be an effective bush gun - open tang sight, carbine length. Hope I still remember how to shoot it - been a while since I hunted with a lever gun.

Bren R.

Bren R.
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
And as for the name, I'm laser checkering the Savage "Chief Lame Deer" logo on the stock. My girlfriend couldn't remember his name, and she came up with "Chief Otto Parts" from the TV show MXC and it's stuck.

Bren R.