PDA

View Full Version : .45 can of worms

pumpguy
08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I know I am really asking for it here, but, here goes. I am in the market for a 1911 in .45 ACP. As much as I would love an Ed Brown, it's not going to happen right now. I think I have my choices down to the Taurus PT and maybe a Springfield. The Taurus, while not my first choice of guns usually, seems to have done a pretty good job on this one. I have heard you need to use a different mag to make them function properly. For $600.00, I think I can afford a couple of new Wilson mags.

Now the can of worms. I am primarily a wheel gun guy and don't know a lot (anything) about 1911s. What are your preferences. Keep in mind the budget is not endless here. Why would you choose or not choose a certain 1911? Also, what mold would you guys recommend? Any special tricks in loading this round? I plan on using Lee dies unless someone thinks that is a big mistake. I also usually only tumble lube with LLA.

Thanks Guys!!:Fire:

Bass Ackward
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I know I am really asking for it here, but, here goes. I am in the market for a 1911 in .45 ACP. As much as I would love an Ed Brown, it's not going to happen right now. I think I have my choices down to the Taurus PT and maybe a Springfield. The Taurus, while not my first choice of guns usually, seems to have done a pretty good job on this one. I have heard you need to use a different mag to make them function properly. For $600.00, I think I can afford a couple of new Wilson mags.

Now the can of worms. I am primarily a wheel gun guy and don't know a lot (anything) about 1911s. What are your preferences. Keep in mind the budget is not endless here. Why would you choose or not choose a certain 1911? Also, what mold would you guys recommend? Any special tricks in loading this round? I plan on using Lee dies unless someone thinks that is a big mistake. I also usually only tumble lube with LLA.

Thanks Guys!!:Fire:

Well, every man should know his limitations. Why fight what you are?

The best 45 Auto is a .............. S&W 625. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good autos, but I ain't into chasing brass these days. And with the wheeler you can put more smack behind it too without foolin around. Why just look at this!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77552904

pumpguy
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Bass,
I thought about this one. Dr A. has one and seems to really like it. He did blow his first one up after the 3rd round with Winchester white box factory ammo, though. I hate chasing brass too, but, I think I want to try an automatic. My next wheel gun will probably be a SRH in 454.

fourarmed
08-10-2007, 12:42 PM
A friend of mine is fighting a Taurus PT1911 right now. He has had nothing but trouble with it, and has spent a considerable amount of money replacing parts and refitting them. Not sure why he didn't send it back. Too stubborn, I guess. He likes to solve problems.

I would check some of the 1911 forums to see what problems others have had with this model before buying.

Springfield has a good reputation, although they have let some turkeys out too. Another friend of mine had one that worked OK at first, then started jamming during the feed cycle. I examined it, and found that the breech face was too narrow to allow a .45 case to slide up it. What really amazed me was that it ever worked at all.

wiljen
08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
There has been another thread going on the Taurus 1911 on here. I think most of us who have them were in agreement that the magazines suck, but once you throw those out and get some McCormicks or Wilsons to feed it with, the gun itself is a good one. I'm sure there have been lemons as there are in anything, but mine has proven to be a reliable,accurate (2 inch @ 25 yards) 45.

versifier
08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but as with anything else, you get what you pay for. If you want a 1911 that is more than a carry gun, you are going to have to come up with some serious cash. FWIW, I have an extremely accurate Kimber, and an older Colt Officer's model that is almost as good. I have never been a fan of Taurus products, (and though I know many here own and like them, I would never recommend one to anyone for anything). I would have to say Kimber or Wilson from personal experience for new ones, but there are a lot of good pistolsmiths out there and good shooting 1911's can be found on the used market for reasonable prices if one is patient and willing to try a few until the right one comes along.

Lee dies and LLA are what I use in four different .45ACP's, and I have no problem with them. .45ACP is not a speed demon of a round, and will not exceed LLA's limits.

only1asterisk
08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
STI Trojan if you can swing it. It pushes your budget. The new STI Spartan is lots of gun for the money. I'd buy that before I bought a Taurus.

David

DanWalker
08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I just bought a Smith & Wesson 1911 for 625 bucks used. It's fullsize, stainless, and has had some work done to it. It shoots great.

I've owned a few taurus handguns and SOLD every one of them. I'll never own another. Each one had it's own set of problems.

I'm to the point now where I'd rather buy a used good gun than a new cheaper gun.

Scrounger
08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Either one of these jewels could be had for what you want to put into that Taurus.

shdwlkr
08-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Pumpguy
I was in your boat a few years ago and got my first GI 45 from Rock Island. I have shot ball, hollow points and will soon be shooting lead through it. It isn't the most expensive pistol out there but it has been dependable and that is more important to me and yes you will chance things on it as you get more used to it.
You can spend lots of dollars on a really good 45 but to get used to them a reasonable priced one is the way to go and you don't have to not buy a colt, kimber or les brown as used they are fairly priced but you might have to look for a while.
I have shot semi-autos years ago and then went to only wheel guns and now going back to semi-autos as every firearm has its place in the scheme of things.
Heck I even shoot black powder wheel guns and have fun with them and their limits.
If you are looking at a semi-auto for defense I would look at the 38 super as it is kind of a 357 mag in a semi-auto and I think now they even have a 357 mag in a semi. Personally I am not overly impressed with the 9mm but if you hand load you can get past the issue I have with them which is the bullet weight.
If your thinking that the larger number of bullets that some semi's have is a good thing well I would have to say that if 6 shots won't settle the issue then neither will 15. I have read to much to think the number of bullets you can throw in the air will win the day.
The skill of the user and the size of the bullet, type of bullet, weight of the bullet, distance to target and placement on target all are part of this equation.
I have to admit I am a fan of the large diameter slow moving bullet as being the best way to go. I like big holes and lots of weight. Why that is just what I grew up shooting and haven't found a good reason to chance. Yes I have tried lots of light weight fast moving bullets over the years and have come back to where I started over 40 years ago.
my 3cents

45nut
08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
I've owned a few taurus handguns and SOLD every one of them. I'll never own another. Each one had it's own set of problems.

Ditto, except I only bought one, early on my path of buying guns, it was purported to be their best effort, the 669 357Mag.
That gun was a study on the worst made 357 DA revolver I ever had the misfortune to have bought. Pins sliding out of the gun sideways, the timing was "off" terribly after about 100 rounds resulting in lead and jackets spitting out the side through the frame/cyl gap which was oversized also. The gun was in no way suitable for much beyond a drawer gun that was to be shot only in emergencies, heck I had a Charter Undercover that held up better.
The taurus was sent down the road..... without regrets.

mooman76
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not a big Tarus fan either(anymore). I bought a 357 SS I believe was the 605 model. Didn't shoot that great but I didn't expect it too with a short barrel. Then one problem after another started happening. I sold it and will never buy a new one again. I'll buy an older one that has been through the paces and proven reliable but never a new one but that's just my opinion!

jobo12
08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I just searched GunsAmerica under Colt 1911's with $700 in the "not greater than" category, and got 3 pages of results for used Colt .45's. Like you, I have a preference for wheel-guns, but over the years have owned several 1911's, and I'd rather have a used Colt than a new Taurus. Unless its been butchered by an amateur, Colts are reliable, sturdy, and almost impossible to wear out with "normal" usage & maintenance. After you use the gun enough to decide what options you want, any competent pistolsmith can upgrade the gun to your personal tastes. If its to be used with reloads (especially cast boolits), a lowered ejection port --to protect your brass-- and a polished feed-ramp can be invaluable to reliable feeding and functioning. Fortunately, these are the MOST common modifications and any good 'smith can fix you up reasonably. The Kimber and other high-grade guns are undoubtedly worth their prices, but IMHO, if you're on a budget, I think a used Colt might be your best bet.
I hope this helps,
Joe

waksupi
08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I have an Argentine Colt, and a Colt Combat Commander. Both have been absolutely dependable.

Jim
08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
There ain't nothin' in th' world like a big eyed girl....... or a 1911. But jus' for th'elluvit, take a look at the Rugers. It'll cost ya' all of about 5 minutes.
WWW.RUGER.COM

trickyasafox
08-10-2007, 03:51 PM
i have a springfield armory mil-spec. If i were to buy it over again, i would make the same choice in a heart beat. Mine has shot lead almost exclusively, i think it's got about a box of hardball through it- and it has never seen factory.

it's my first and only 1911, so i don't have much to compare it to, but i can tell you this:

i load with lee dies and use the FCD, this combo has given me good results
i use either the lee 228gr LRN 1-radius lee mold or the lee 230gr TC single lube groove, both feed great for me.

i use a variety of mags, all of which i bought used, all of which work. i have colt knock offs i got for 6 dollars each, and old gi mag, and an old metalform as well as the 2 supplied mags. i never have had problems with any of them.

the gun is still pretty new, i just broke 1000 rounds in it the other day, and in that time i think i've cleaned the gun 3-4 times.

Mine DOES NOT like SWC at all, but i really only played around with them once, and i think i have them too short to feed well. so those might be ok.

i got the stainless, and it would have cost me 650 dollars, but the dealer had to have it fired as it didn't come with the NYS required casing. that upped my price a bit.

i thought that was a lot of money for a gun, but it's performed very well for me. the sights were calibrated pretty well, i didn't have to move them at all. the gun came with 2 sets of grips, a holster, a mag carrier, and 2 mags as well as a cleaning rod. they also ship with a loaded coupon that gives you discounts on springfield armory stuff. i still have mine.

i dont know if it really helps, but the mil-specs come with a lowered and flared ejection port. i guess it makes it easier on the brass? i couldn't say one way or the other but mine is gentle and the extractor had good tension on it.

i did a write up of it on my blog. the link is in my sig line. it might not help you, but at least you'll get some more opinions on it :)

hope this helped!

mike

edit: reread your question

special tricks to loading 45acp? none i am aware of, its pretty standard like any other pistol cartridge.
what performs best for me in my gun though, is unsized bullets out of the 230gr tc loaded and then run through the FCD with a medium crimp. when i had a light crimp the charge of unique i had behind it wasn't burning as thoroughly as i would have liked. adding a bit more crimp really seemed to help.

i'm out of the 228gr 1 ogives, but i have some of the TC's i could send you to play around with if you'd like. i lube in LLA.

45r
08-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I got a plain jane kimber and that gun has shot two and a half inch groups at 50 yards and I would buy another kimber without hesitation.

Jim
08-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm not the least bit surprised to hear that about a Kimber.

Crash_Corrigan
08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I have one since November '06. My original one had a defective sear which revealed itself by going full auto during the initial break in with factory ammo. It was American Eagle FMJ 230 Hardball. I immediately brought it back to my gun smith dealer and he replaced it on the spot for a brand new one. The defective gun went back to Taurus and was repaired with a new sear and returned to my gunsmith. It has been resold and over 5,000 rounds later it is still going strong. My replacement 1911 has had over 3,000 of reloads (mine of course) through it without any malfunctions of any kind. The issue 8 rd mags have worked flawlessly. I finally got serious about some accuracy and just last Monday ran some tests from a benchrested (sandbags) firing position at 25 yds. The target (see photo) speaks for itself. The group measures with a Midway set of calipers at 1.26". That is pretty good for a 64 years old set of Mark I eyeballs. I used a Lee hand cast SWC of 200 grains over 4.3 gr of Clay's lubed with Lar45's Carnuba Red. I know that because some of the lube was stuck on the target 75 feet away. It ended up in short strings of red lines on the target and did penetrate somewhat through the paper. I added a set of Houge Laminated Rosewood Grips and it does make for a fine looking gun. This is a fine value for your money and I love it. I am hearing of all kinds of horror stories about Taurus but I am a believer. I also think that within the next 10 years Taurus will be the largest gun maker in the world. That is my .02.

Bret4207
08-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Like Waksupi I have an '27 Argentine Colt. I also have a Star PD. The Star is dead reliable. The '27 is getting a new barrel, but fed everything I put through it with the original barrel. I didn't hit anything, but it fed fine.

KYCaster
08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
The new STI Spartan is lots of gun for the money. I'd buy that before I bought a Taurus.

David

I'll second that...lotsa bang for the buck...and great factory support. Another one to check out is Armscor...the "Rodney Dangerfield" of 1911's. They don't get no respect, but the used ones are often priced accordingly and a much better gun than the reputation would indicate.

Good luck with your search.
Jerry

Scrounger
08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
I'll second that...lotsa bang for the buck...and great factory support. Another one to check out is Armscor...the "Rodney Dangerfield" of 1911's. They don't get no respect, but the used ones are often priced accordingly and a much better gun than the reputation would indicate.

Good luck with your search.
Jerry

"Armscor" is the "Buick" to "Rock Island's" "Chevy. Same company, a little fancier gun. They are both good. Here's a little "Officer's Model" type Armscor I have:

only1asterisk
08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I guess that would make the STI Spartan a Cadillac.

David

rugerdude
08-11-2007, 12:41 AM
I picked up a Dan Wesson Pointman a couple of years back for just over $600. It is the only auto I own, but it has been a good one. Functions with everything that I have fed it and accurate, too. A friend has one in 10mm that is a true tack driver. Think he paid $650 for it at a gunshow. Haven't checked prices recently, but you may want to check them out. :-D

Lloyd Smale
08-11-2007, 05:27 AM
ive had a slug of 1911s over the years and some real slugs in the bunch. My first advice to you with a 600 dollar budjet would be to buy a used gun. YOur not going to get much for 600 bucks. Good out of the box 1911s usually start at about 900 bucks and go up. What would i buy? Using my experiences id list them like this if my budget was under a grand.
Used sti trojan or colt gold cup.
mid priced kimber like a gold match ect
Smith and wesson
Dan wesson

I hate to raise hackles here but i wouldnt have another springfield shoved up my but! Ive just had to many of them that let me down. Seems i either got an unreliable gun that shot or a reliable gun that wouldnt hit the target. If i was absolutely stuck on getting a brand new 1911 that was cheap there would be only one choise for me. A sti spartan. I would absolutely run from any 1911 of any manufacture that cost under 600 bucks and had a barrel shorter then 5 inch. All this been said most any of them can be made to run and to shoot if your willing to tinker a little and have the knowlege to do it. Most of the time all it takes is a good mag a little polishing and some good springs but the average guy buying his first 1911 doesnt have that knowlege. I look at 1911s a little differently then some. To me they are used for two things. For competition and for self defense and in both of those areas theres no room for malfuntions of any kind. A good 1911 will never malfuntion with good ammo if kept reasonably clean. Everyone of my guns that i buy go through a 2000 round test with no cleaning and if they dont pass that the first time i may tinker a tad with them and try one more time. If they fail the second time they get replaced. Ive got 1911s that have shot over 50000 rounds (well over in some cases) that have never malfunctioned other then reloaded ammo related problems that are my fault. Im a firm believer in using a good lube and not being stingy with it and changing springs about every 1000 rounds and even changing mag springs ever couple years. I also will only use wilson or chip mccormick mags as most of the mags even put in the expensive over the counter guns are junk. If it were me id either buy a spartan or save some more money and find a good used gold cup or something comparable.

eka
08-11-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm with KYCaster and Scrounger. I have heard a lot of good things about the Rock Island and Armscor (which I'm not sure, but think they are both made by the same company in the Phillipines). The reports are that they are reliable and accurate. A lot of gun from what I understand. They seem to fill a void in the 1911 market that seems to be way over priced. There is no doubt prettier guns are out there, it's just comes down to how much you want to spend. Incidentally, my wife's work took her to the Phillipines a few years ago. She was with the right folks and got to do some really neat things while there. One of the things she done was go to the Phillipine National Police Headquarters in Manilla. There she got to fire some on their training range. She used one of their issue sidearms which was a 1911 style .45. She loved the gun, but didn't know what brand it was and didn't ask. When she got home, she was telling me about how well the .45 shot and so forth. I done a little checking and it was an Armscor. One of these days, I'm going to have to buy her one.

38-55
08-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey Pump guy,
Used to sell guns awhile back and sold a bunch of the rock islands... Not a bad 1911 at all once you ditch the mags and get a wilson or two. I've shot 3 of them with semi-wad cutters ( lyman 452460 ) and 'ball' ( lyman 452374 ) with no major problems other than the occasional FTF with the semi-wadcutter. All and all for a man on a budget they are not a bad gun at all.
Calvin
PS see link http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands-new.html

NickSS
08-11-2007, 02:57 PM
I have owned at least 15 1911s Most of them were colts or GI pistols. I even had four that were customized by noted smiths for target work. I found that when you found the proper ammo they were very reliable but not as reliable as some of the newer pistols I have tried since. I curently do not own one and have no plans to buy one as I changed to wheel guns when I stoped shooting bullseye matches (eyes and tired of picking up brass). Recently I decided that I wanted a 45 Auto to shoot up all the spare brass I have so went looking. I bought a brand new Ruger P90 for under $400. So far I have put several hundred rounds through it and have had no jams or other problems with it. Its a bit chunky but mine will keep all shots in the 10 ring at 25 yards and that is without any tuning etc. If you are on a limited budget Look at the Ruger.

BD
08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
The 1911 is an old design which requires some hand fitting to make it "right". None of the major manufacturers really do the hand fitting so you're taking your chances on any of them. Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Smith & Wesson, any of them will do just fine. However, you may, or may not, need to do a little work on the one you buy; new or used. Personally, I would try for a used series I Kimber Classic Custom. In any event I would advise a model with a "beavertail" type grip safety as it lets you get a good high grip without the hammer chewing on your hand. Flared and lowered ejection port is also a good thing. IMHO the kimber series II safety and the Colt series 80 safety are just some extra small parts which complicate things for no real benefit.

I own three Kimbers. I did a fluff and buff on all of them when I got them, and I replaced the slide stops and ejectors with forged and milled parts. I bought my series II Pro-Carry used and I had to do some detailed work on the series II safety. I'm sure that issue was the reason the original owner sold it. All three now run like champs and are more reliable than a couple of my revolvers. The 1911 is very well understood and there are all kinds of aftermarket parts available. Go into it with your eyes open and you'll have a good time with it.
BD

Bass Ackward
08-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Pumper,

Ahuh ....... ahuh! Bet this is starting to look better and better now ain't it? Just one more look.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=77552904

wiljen
08-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I put 400 rounds of 200gr SWCs through my Taurus 1911 today without a single hiccup. Not 1 failure of any kind using a bullet that is notorious for jamming 1911s. I used McCormick magazines instead of the factory supplied mags but other than that, this is a box stock Taurus. I will second Crash's comments, this gun is worth looking into for the $.

pumpguy
08-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, as I expected, I now have more questions than answers.:???: :???: That's alright, though. I like a challenge. I still can't see myself enjoying cramming those fat little ******** into moonie clips.[smilie=1: I will probably keep researching for a while and I look forward to more input from you guys. If I wait long enough, the right one will come along. Funny how things like that happen.

truckboss
08-11-2007, 09:29 PM
ok my turn,i've owned 5 series 70 ,2series 8o colts,a springfield in 9mm and .45 and a kimber.fwiw if you want a gun that you pull out of a box and load and shoot with no problems kimber hands down.my series 80 would jam the firering block with crap,some after only about 300 rounds.if you are gonna built a comp gun or like to tinker they are all ok.i've had 2 series 70 built that shot outstanding,my kimber in stock form is right there with them at about 1500 less.oh yeah,the tought of a 1911 size rectally inserted scares me.but i bet it would function flawlesly!

KYCaster
08-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Didja know that STI sends parts for the Spartan to the Philippiens and they're assembled there on Armscor slide, frame and barrel.

And I agree with BD, the GI style grip safety is downright painful for me to shoot. The beavertail cures the problem nicely.

Jerry

Lloyd Smale
08-12-2007, 05:50 AM
yup and Springfields arent made in america either.
Didja know that STI sends parts for the Spartan to the Philippiens and they're assembled there on Armscor slide, frame and barrel.

And I agree with BD, the GI style grip safety is downright painful for me to shoot. The beavertail cures the problem nicely.

Jerry

BD
08-12-2007, 09:29 AM
While I've yet to see a kimber which wouldn't function out of the box, I've seen a few with parts which broke right away, as well as my pro-carry which ran fine, but you couldn't easily remove the slide due to issues with the series II safety not letting the disconnector retract fully. I've seen a fair number of new 1911's break slide stops right out of the box, a few break extractors and two break thumb safeties. You pay's your $$ and takes your chances with any of them.
BD

Trapshooter
08-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I like wheelers best too, I have one of the 1989 5" 625's, which was my first 45. Since then, I picked up a Smith CS-45, and a 745, but never owned a 1911. I owned a Ballerina Molester (Balester Molina) for about a month, but it was pretty well used up. I picked up one of the Rock Island pistols to round out the collection and for use as a house gun, and was quite pleased with it. The only thing I did was to fit a new barrel bushing. It wasn't necessary, but it did tighten the groups. I shot about 100 rounds twice a week for the first few months, since then I slowed down some. This sample doesn't appear to be soft metal, and it always goes bang. A pretty good deal for a first 1911 for about $300.

Trapshooter

kellyj00
10-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I've got a springfield mil-spec, it cost me $400 slightly used. It was $500 new (bought it from a friend, was there when he picked it up!) I find springfield's to be great 1911's, never had a problem...shot a lot of rounds through mine in the 3 years I've had it, had to replace the springs one time, everything else is fine.

My next 1911 will be built over a Caspian frame. If you're going to do it, do it right, ya know? If you build it yourself, you may get braggin rights and you'll never have to get a load of horsehockey about "you shouldn't shoot handloads through that firearm, it voids the warranty".

only1asterisk
10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Pumpguy,

What did you get (if anything)?

David

PatMarlin
10-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I bought a Rock Island from Sarco for $275 and it is a tack driver.

I took it to a freind who is a custom 45 smith, and builds competition guns and he was very impressed with it. He put in some wolf springs and did his trigger magic to it. It is one fine weapon.

Dumped the stock mags and bought quality ones.. :drinks:

Lloyd Smale
10-04-2007, 07:27 AM
what your seeing here is alot of the problem with people recomending 1911s. I could buy 10 springfiieds and maybe two would be junk out of the ten. I could buy 10 kimbers or colts and maybe one would be junk. You have to have shot more then one gun to really get an idea. Some guys here have boughten and owned many 1911s and there the ones to really listen to. Ive got 1911s that you wouldnt pry out of my hands for any ammount of money and guns from the same manufacture that didnt stay here a month. I have owned quite a few of them and from about every manufacture. I have no preconcieved preduices and am not the guy that goes out and buys a gun and has to convince everyone that its the best. If its junk its called junk! Ive had more and seen more problem guns from springfield then any other manufacture. Granted some are minor problems that a knowlegable 1911 guy can straighten out in short order. (but shouldnt have to in a 900 dollar gun) Ive seen a few kimbers that were right and owned one for a short time. Ive got two that you wont pry out of my hands. One is even one of the dreaded external extractor guns and its a commander thats not suppose to be as reliable as a full sized gun and its gone well over 50000 rounds with the only malfunctions credited to my sloppy loading practices. Ive had a few colts and though ive seen a couple sloppy ones mine have all been good guns. MY Gold cup has the highest round count of any of my guns probably well over a 100k and NEVER misses a beat. But the shinning star right now is my sti trojan 9mm. The 9mm is a little more finiky to get reliable function out of a 1911. I had a smith 952 which is suppose to be the cadilac of the 9s and didnt like it from day one. I was not reliable with handloads and the best accuracy it would do is about 2 inch. I pawned it and bought a springfield 9mm target. It would shoot slightly better at 1.5 inch but was constantly giving me reliablility proplems. It went back to springfield twice and still would reliably shoot a round of ppc. Then i took a chance. I had heard good things about sti but had never even shot one. I ordered a 9mm trojan and found one of my true loves. Fit and finish are as nice and as tight as some of the les baers ive shot. The slide feels like its on ball bearnings. The gun shoots under an inch at 25 yards with loads it likes and the nice thing is with the smooth slide i can run a 7 lb spring and pipsqeak loads and it still functions a 100percent. Ive had guys at shoots shake my heads that used 9mms. they cant beleive i get away with shooting a 120 grain bullet at such low velocitys and still get reliablility. This gun is a class act! Ive since shot some other trojans. All in 45 so i cant comment on any other 9s but the 45s were as well put together as my 9 is and all ran like a top and were very accuarate. The spartan is suppose to be about an identical gun fit just as well but with imported parts. If its true and ive yet to experience one its got to be by far the best bang for the buck in a 1911!! If they sell them at 600 dollars and there as well made as my trojan your getting a gun that compares to 2000 dollar guns for a 1/3 of the cost.

EMC45
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I am in the same boat as Tricky. I have a Mil Spec Springfield That I bought used. It had some "work" done to it before I bought it. Polished feed ramp and some front sight "adjustment" . But all in all it is quite a shooter! Before I wrung it out I had a shopping list in my mind of what I was gonna do like barrel, Sights, trigger, beavertail, etc., etc. I ended up putting a Wilson combat long trigger, and a flat checkered Mainspring housing from John Masen on it. That's it. I use the original Springfield mag, but screwed a bumper on the bottom and have bought 2 Chip McCormick Shooting Star Classics 8 rounders. I use the Lee 230 gr TC bullet over 4.5 gr. Bullseye. Not a problem yet. I also have a Wilson extra power recoil spring and shok-buff installed.

PatMarlin
10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Lloyd break your posts up into paragrahs every so often so us with semi failing eyes have an easier time at reading your info. I like to read all of your posts so it would help alot.. :Fire:

My dad had a consecutive ser pair of gold cups, and that was the pistol I learned to shoot with. Ha- as a kid I could outshoot most anyone with a .22 with the 45acp. Made my dad real proud, cause I could out shoot most men at the range.

I wish we coulda shot competition, but he had an insecure- self defeating way of thinking one could never accomplish somthing like that, and that was a shame.

corvette8n
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Another vote for the Argentine Colt, mine was made in 1958, I also have a .22 conversion for it(NOT Ciener, just marked made in Europe), so I can shoot at my outers trap in the cellar all day long.

pumpguy
10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Only1,
I have put this project on hold for the time being. I just got a bunch of handguns from my FIL and I am having fun trying to wring them out. I also found a guy with a bunch of old and unfired Marlins. (My first love) Consequently, all my "mad" money is bring channelled that direction. I will get one one of these days, though and I really appreciate all the input from you 45 guys on this board.