PDA

View Full Version : Almost Did Some Lube-Sizing Today, . . So Close, But No Cigar

Jeff R
03-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Today, I had my fourth casting session. I used my Lyman 429 215 pistol bullet mold and the Lyman 311 291 EV .30 cal. rifle mold. I used 2/3 WW and 1/3 pure lead, plus a little tin, and water dropped them. I found that casting fat, chunky pistol boolits is way easier than casting long, skinny rifle boolits.

63050 63051

I was going to fire up my used Star lube sizer for the first time. It came with a .429 die installed and a free boolit in the die. I pushed out that boolit with one that I had cast. All but one row of holes were plugged, which is perfect for the one lube groove on the 429 215.

The free boolit that came in the die is on the left. I ran a couple more of my new boolits through the machine and there was a big streak of lube on one side, on the base and on the tip. I figured I’d remove the die and see if I could diagnose the problem. The die came about 85% of the way out and then got stuck. After about a half hour I got it out. The top die o-ring had rotted and a chunk of it was jamming above the lower shoulder of the sizing die,as it tried to slide out of the die socket.

Here is a close up of the o-rings

I got the Star part number from the manual, but it didn’t give the dimensions of the o-ring. I am hoping that these are standard, hardware store o-rings, and not some proprietary one that I need to order.

Do any of you Star users know if these can be had at the local hardware store, and do you know the measurements of them? If I could get them tomorrow on my lunch hour, I can be sizing tomorrow night.

If you can help me out, I’ll owe you big time.

Regards,
Jeff

Bullshop
03-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Take a good one to NAPA and they will match it. I buy them by the box full. Its just a common size O ring nothing more.

454PB
03-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Try the die without the O-ring. I make my own Star dies, and I don't use an O-ring.

runfiverun
03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
they are just standard 0-rings.
3/4" airc.

Jeff R
03-03-2013, 11:18 PM
I make my own Star dies, and I don't use an O-ring.

454PB,
I am trying to visualize how the lube would not ooze out all over, around each end of the die, if you don't have o-rings in place. How do you prevent that from happening, without using o-rings?
Jeff

Springfield
03-03-2013, 11:20 PM
I have 3 stars that I use everyday and none have O-rings. The die itself seals the bore pretty well.

landers
03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Hi Jeff,
I use a #116 o-ring from a local Ace Hardware. The first few times of removing the die with a new o-ring is a pain but after a few times the die will shave the o-ring a little making it easier to remove. I have never had one leak even with very used o-rings. I have never tried the star without the o-rings but from others with more experience than I its worth a try.

ReloaderFred
03-04-2013, 01:17 AM
I've got 5 Star lube/sizers here in my shop and none of them have O-rings in them. My 6th machine is at my casting partner's house and it doesn't have any O-rings in it, either. I've never found the need for them myself.

Hope this helps.

Fred

454PB
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't use O-rings in my home made Lyman/RCBS dies either. If the die fits well in the lubrisizer, it won't leak.

runfiverun
03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
i have three stars and only one takes the o-rings.
i trashed the top 0-ring in it the first time i took the size die out, then went and bought a dozen or so 0-rings and haven't trashed one since.
i see the little package of 0-rings every now and then and it takes a minute to remember what i bought them for.

VHoward
03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I damaged the top o-ring in mine when I removed the die. When I re-installed the die, I didn't use an o-ring and got a little oozing around the top. It wasn't bad though. I went and got new o-rings and installed one. No more oozing and haven't damaged the replacement either.

HATCH
03-06-2013, 07:54 AM
It will leak depending on pressure and temperature.
If your star has a o-ring then the correct way to change the die is to heat the machine up to operating temperature and then push it out.
When you are installing a die it works best if you lube up the o ring first. I use bullplate lube cause its handy.
My machine leaks without a o-ring.
I got a oversized oring and cut a piece out to make it the correct size.
I can change the die with just my fingers once the machine is warm