PDA

View Full Version : Loads for my new C96 Broomhandle Mauser

vernz
08-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I just obtained a very nice C96 Mauser in 7.63 Mauser that I want to shoot cast bullets in. Can anyone recommend bullets, brass and loads?

Thanks, Vern

9.3X62AL
08-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Starline cases--HANDS DOWN the best I've used in this caliber. Try to get their 30 Mauser offerings, and not the 7.62 x 25's. There is a slight difference in the case shoulder datum line and case length between the two--the Mauser is about .020" longer in both dimensions. Sizing a Tokarev-length case in a Mauser sizer die will make what little neck exists even shorter--and you need every bit you can get.

I use a RCBS expander die with 30 caliber spud to set a slight flare at the case mouth to prevent boolits from shearing sidewall during seating.

The best boolit I've used to date in my Broomer is the Lee 100 grain RN. I seat it with the case mouth just below the front lube groove, and set a mild roll crimp right into the bullet's sidewall. This gives a little more "grab" to the cartridge to guard against boolits telescoping during feedramp contact. If you overdo the roll crimp, the rest of the case neck will spring away from the boolit sidewall and allow telescoping. A real masochistic delight, this one. An alternate method of crimping is to remove the sizer die's decapping stem and run the loaded cartridge back into the sizer just enough to have the die's neck area "kiss" the case mouth edge. Kind of a redneck taper crimp sequence, ya might say.

With 100 grainers in the Broomer, my start loads were 4.5 grains of Unique. This gave a few "short strokes", and bumping things up to 4.8 grains gave pretty decent cycling and about 1000 FPS. This is a tribute to the C-96 design, that it could digest 25% downloads and function reliably. I settled on 5.0 grains of Unique as a good load for this pistol, which gives 1075 FPS to the 100 grain boolit and reliable feeding. I will not try to run things at full power in this platform--although the design is a very strong one, century-old metallurgy and a LOT of years argue strongly against firewalling.

These are not benchrest guns, and their absence from Camp Perry is no accident. I call my Broomer's accuracy "poetic". The old GI 1911A1 accuracy standard of "all rounds in the base of a #2 washtub at 50 yards" comes to mind here. As the barrel heats up, groups are known to walk a bit, too. Mine doesn't do that, but others have that reputation.

But what the pistols lack in tackdriving accuracy is more than made up for in style, panache, and history. They REALLY attract attention at the range. They have a Neat-O Keen Cool Factor near max-out. I've taken mine hunting several times, on one occasion with a group of smart-mouthed fellow cops and firefighters. I took no end of crap like "Al must be dating the Dragon Lady--he borrowed her pistol", and "Where's your gas mask?" After whacking a couple jackrabbits decisively with the loads described above, the jeering stopped and EVERYBODY had to run a magazine-full or two through the pistol.

Did you get the stripper clips with the pistol? Any 9mm clip will work fine. Holding back the bolt without a clip is a PITA.

9.3X62AL
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
AA-7 powder is about the single best fuel for full-potential loadings in 30 Mauser/7.62 x 25 Tokarev. As above, I don't load this warm in the Broomer, but do so in the TT-30/33 Tokarev and CZ-52 pistols. If a gunsmith approves of such loads in your pistol, rock out.

There were LOTS of spare parts at Gun Parts Corp a few years back. I would strongly suggest getting a spare firing pin and spring.

vernz
08-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the load information. I did get one stripper clip with it. I'm very glad to hear that it will cycle at 1075 fps. This one was made ca. 1911 - 1914 and I really do not want to push it to the max or even close to that. How's the accuracy at the 1000 meter sight setting :>)

Vern

9.3X62AL
08-11-2007, 02:51 AM
It might raise welts at 1000 meters, so be careful. A volley fire sequence with maybe a regiment's-worth of Broomers might be needed to assure a specific struck target at that distance. Any such hit would be a triumph of optimism over reality, for sure.

Mohillbilly
08-11-2007, 04:59 AM
I was down load'n Norinco ammo 10%and reseat'n the pills and worked fine for me....