PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Carbine help?

JesterGrin_1
08-10-2007, 03:16 AM
I have an original Trapdoor Carbine that was found in an attic. It was there we have no idea how long. We guess about 50 years or so. But the bugs loved the inside of the barrel lol. I was wondering if there was a way to clean out the rust or would it be possible to have it smoothed out with a cut? Or should I just leave the rifle alone? I would like to have it back in shooting condition though if at all possible.

Thank You for everyone's help.

Hip's Ax
08-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I bought a Krag that was in the same condition. I used Kroil, brushes and patches at first to get the rust out then switched to bore cleaner. After weeks and a lot of cleaning supplies it was apparent that I would have to shoot it clean. The head space had been checked and I fired one round at a time and cleaned. Within a few shots the barrel was down to the steel. Not certain if this will work for your rifle unless you can shoot jacketed bullets out of it.

Hayfield
08-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Your definition of "pitting"? It's probably different than mine. But here is MY load. 55 grs FFg covered by 5 grs (by weight) of dry grits and an OP card. HB 405 gr lead bullet lubed w/SPG. That's straight from Wolfe's book and it shoots great. If the pitting isn't "deep", by that I mean groove depth or close to it, I probably wouldn't hone that bore any. If it is groove depth.....your call but I'd either rebarrel or have the barrel honed and rifling recut then paper patch my bullets to bore (groove) size to shoot.

SharpsShooter
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
If it is an original TD, do not shoot Jacketed boolits. The steels of that era were softer than todays. Lots of elbow grease, Kroil and bronze brushes will likely get you to a shootable bore. If you are not familiar with TD actions have it checked out by someone whi is. These treasures can usually be restored to shooting condition with not too much effort.

SS

fourarmed
08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
OK, I deny working undercover for the LAPD (Leaveit Alone Police Dept.) However, if it is an original carbine and not a cutdown rifle, it is worth a pretty good chunk of change. I would work on the original barrel quite a while before deciding to rebarrel. I'm sure you are aware of that.

montana_charlie
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
You know that electronic device Outer's sells for removing copper and lead from bores? It's called the Foul Out.

What gets removed from a bore depends on what solution you put in the barrel before turning on the electricity. Lead acetate pulls out lead, and copper acetate (also ammonia) pulls copper.
Details for building a home-made Foul Out...
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

Well...washing soda, pulls rust.

For details on that...
http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

Comparing the instructions in both of those links, I see a possibility for getting the polarity backward when pulling rust.
A test done in a plastic bucket (or Mayonaise jar) with a rusty nail and a bright one, would be a good idea before starting on your barrel.

If you aren't real hot on using flashlight batteries for the power source, a 'wall wart' can be substituted. If you need details on that...ask.

CM

JesterGrin_1
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes the little Carbine is all original in 45-70. I was thinking of blocking off the muzzle end and pouring some vinegar down the inside of the barrel and let it sit since I know that vinegar will remove rust. Then flush it out and clean it with a bore brush?

I am aware that it might be worth a penny or two but if I can not shoot it then it is worth nothing to me really except maybe to sell it to someone that would like such a rifle.

What is Odd is that the exposed blued parts are rusted but the parts that are hidden by the stock look like brand new. Also the lock is in perfect shape and has a great trigger for something this old. I thought it might make a good hog gun. :)

mooman76
08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm with you Jester. A gun you cannot shoot is worthless in my eyes. I have an original also that was reblued so it has been devalued so what but the blueing was done good and it is still in good shape. There are still allot of these around so they may not be as valuable as you think. Work on it and if you can't get it good enough try buying another original barrel. These old gals like soft lead also. I found an old shotgun years ago in a corn field. It was so runty you couldn't tell what it was but when I got done you could read all the markings and I stll shoot it today. Surprizes you sometimes how good they can come back!

NickSS
08-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I have a TD Springfield carbine that I bought about 30 years ago for $10 because the bore was rotten. actually after a lot of effort to clean it, the bore still looked like a rusty sewer pipe with no rifling showing. I sent it to a guy who does barrel relining and when I got it back it had the original barrel with a brand new three groove liner installed. I really can not tell the difference from an original as he tig welded the front of the barrel and recut a springfield crown. I have been shooting this carbine ever since. As for not shooting J bullets in a TD this is rediculous. I have done so and a moderate number of them will not wear the bore out. I use them to burnish new barrels and ones that have seen better days. 50 or 100 will never wear out even the soft steels used in TDs but they do clean up pitted rifling. Also depending upon how baddly pitted it is it may just fire just fine. The only real problem I have with light pitting is that it tends to foul faster than a clean bore when using black powder. I currently own 8 TDs in 50-70 and 45-70 and one I had rebarreled and restocked in 45-80 (2.4 inch cartridge case. The all shoot better than arsenaly specifications.

The Double D
08-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Build your own foul out

http://ca.geocities.com/snidey@rogers.com/borecleaner.html

SharpsShooter
08-10-2007, 06:11 PM
NickSS,

The J-word vs cast only arguement is age old and proponents of each camp have their valid points, all which are far from ridiculous. I fall into the mindset that any erosion acceleration via non standard bullets is not desirable. If it works for you though, congrats.

Jester,

I failed to mention that if you choose to use the elbow grease and kroil method, be sure to use a good cleaning rod guide to prevent damage to the crown and muzzle. More damage to these types are found in this area than anywhere else due to the method of cleaning from the muzzle that is required.

SS