PDA

View Full Version : Scary Find at the Range...

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Was at our club range earlier today and, when I went to dump my shot up targets and Gatorade jugs, noticed a bunch of loaded .45 ACPs in the trash bin. (btw, this is a definite 'No-No' by range rules). Needless to say, I fished them out, found they were reloads...WW nickle cases with lead RNs...and brought 'em home to salvage the brass (and, maybe, the boolits). Pulled the first boolit and dumped the powder into a plastic tray. Oops...even without a magnifier it was obvious that I was looking a mix of two different powders...something that looked like Bullseye mixed with a larger flake powder. Dumped the powder from the next round onto a clean sheet of paper...same story!! Broke down the rest and they were all the same.

When I counted up empty brass I had 36 rounds...like maybe what was left of a 50-round box after someone fired a pair 7-round mags in a Gov't Model? Hope he didn't screw up a good .45.

Bill

btroj
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Would be interesting to know the rest of the story, wouldn't it?

Bet you are glad you weren't there for the firing though, aren't you? Must have been bad enough to make him throw them away rather than shoot em.

Scary

captaint
03-03-2013, 09:07 PM
That is a scary deal. Couple of years ago, when I arrived at the range, there was one loaded .45ACP on the ground by the bench. Looks like a H&G 68 sittin on top. I haden't unpacked anything, so I know it wasn't mine. It's still sittin on my dresser. I should just pull it apart and get it over with. Just can't bring myself to chamber it up. Mike

hithard
03-03-2013, 09:29 PM
That is a scary deal. Couple of years ago, when I arrived at the range, there was one loaded .45ACP on the ground by the bench. Looks like a H&G 68 sittin on top. I haden't unpacked anything, so I know it wasn't mine. It's still sittin on my dresser. I should just pull it apart and get it over with. Just can't bring myself to chamber it up. Mike

Be carefull even having that lyin' round, never know where it may end up.

hiram1
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
DON'T shoot it for sure. Do the safe thing.

429421Cowboy
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Gees, just reinforces why there are only about 3 people on this planet that i would ever shoot their reloads, other than that i would just as soon nail my tongue to a board.
I would love to have been a safe distance away to see that made him decide to stop shooting them after one or two mags! I'd be sure to check the primer pockets on that brass to make sure they haven't been hot-rodded in the past if i was gonna load them again. Then again, if it was me i might just save the lead and scrap the brass at that point.

Who knows, if the guy threw the whole rounds out instead of taking them home to pull down and re-reload, maybe he isn't a reloader but instead bought them at a gun show or from a buddy? Just another thought.

SciFiJim
03-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Someone using duplex loads for 45acp.:shock:
Probably a large muzzle flash and lots of unburned powder. or maybe not!

I can understand duplexing a rifle load, but not a pistol load.

Just another reason to not shoot any reloads that you didn't load or see loaded yourself.

cajun shooter
03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
It is a horrible thing to even think about but our world has changed and we have some very bad people in our ranks.
When I first went into the woods with my first single barrel 410 in1959, every person I met were good and did no harm to their fellow man. We now have people who may leave a "HOT" ROUND" to have some sort of sick joke.
It's the same type of person who puts bad things into children's Halloween candy. I came home with a shopping bag full and we never worried about such things.
If I found several boxes of ammo, I would not trust it. My years as a cop taught me about the dark side that walks among us.
When you see a person asking a $1 a round for 22LR ammo, they are of that same mould. They don't care nor have any compassion for anyone.
As much as we don't like to hear or read about it, just look at the rash of shootings we are now having. Some very sick people read about it and then go and try to out do the others so that they will be known as the worse of the worse.
If you are old enough to have been around during the hi-jacking airline period then you know of what I speak. As soon as one was done, the flood gates opened and several were done.
THe anti-gun people are having a ball by seeing all the stores with no ammo or guns. As soon as the shootings stop the pressure will become a lot better. Later David

captaint
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
hithard - you're right. I'm gonna pull that thing down tonite. Like you said - ya never know.
Mike

SlippShodd
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I got to look at a formerly lovely 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk after its owner dropped the hammer on a round he found lying on the ground out in the desert. All it needed was a new topstrap and the pieces of the cylinder welded back together. Pound the rest of the frame back into line. Barrel was iffy.
In my shop I have 3 peanut butter jars full of live ammo I've found out in the shooting areas of the desert over the last couple years. Some of it looks perfectly fine. And if I ever need to desperately enough... I'll pull it apart and use the components to assemble something else.
I do shoot the clean 22LR that I find. Dirty, damaged, stained, buried, etc, all get pulled apart. Lead for the pot. Brass for the scrap yard. Powder for the flowers. I don't figure you can jack with the pressure of a .22 to cause any real harm (not that I'm challenging any of you).
There's not a found centerfire round to be found that I would trust in my guns with my hands on them.

mike

Chili
03-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Most of the non-rimfire cartridges I find are under the bench as if they were dropped or ejected as a result of previous malfunction. I disassemble them for the components ('cept the powder!) no matter how nice they look.

RugerFan
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Most of the non-rimfire cartridges I find are under the bench as if they were dropped or ejected as a result of previous malfunction. I disassemble them for the components ('cept the powder!) no matter how nice they look.

Same here. I pull everything I find even if it looks like factory.

John Allen
03-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Is it just me or are there more and more people that do not bother to learn the proper basics of reloading and Darwin has still not weeded them out.

1Shirt
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Gotta go along with Cajin Shooter, and what was versis what now is. Don't recall seeing hardly any rounds in trash cans years ago, but do find a few in them now. Really worry about that as some of the trash on our range is burned.
1Shirt!

bruce drake
03-04-2013, 01:20 PM
A gun crisis brings neophyte reloaders out in droves.

I pull all saved rounds that I find on the ranges that I shoot at. Only personal ammo I trust is my own as I am in control of the entire reloading operation.

Jim
03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
When I was mining that range last year, I was finding quite a bit of unfired rounds coming out of the berms. I think a lot of it was pushed up with the back hoe when the CRO was cleaning the bays. I kept a bucket half full of water in my work area and all unfired rounds went in it. Just before I wrapped up and left, the CRO buried it for me in a hole about 3 ft. deep. I had accumulated about 2/3 to 3/4 of a bucket of assorted ammo.

km101
03-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Start looking for one-handed club members! Or at least one with a bandaged hand.

Unfortunately with the increase in new reloaders, some of whom are getting their info from Youtube, there will probably be an increase in incidents like this.

My SIL told me today that a coworker showed him some reloads that the coworker had loaded. The guy asked if my SIL could see any obvious reason why the round would not fit in his rifle. My SIL inspected the round and could see no obvious defect. The guy invited him out to the parking lot after work to check out his rifle, as my SIL had suggested that the bore might be obstructed. It turned out that the guy had bought and loaded .270WSM brass and way trying to shoot it in a .270WIN rifle. He didnt know that there was a difference.

"Here's your sign!"