PDA

View Full Version : How much do WWs weigh?

crabo
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Has anyone weighed a full 5 gallon pail of weights. I know that it could vary, but I am looking for an approximent weight. Also, how much weight in ingots do you usually get out of a 5 gallon pail when you smelt it down. I have found a place to buy WWs for 35 cents a pound. I am trying to figure out what a couple of buckets would run me.

It has been really hard to find WWs in the Dallas area. I figure I need to get some weights stockpiled. Once I have some more stockpiled, I can relax a little in my hunt.

Thanks,

Crabo

BigSlick
08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
5 gal bucket to the top runs 150lbs.

.35/lb is a decent price, get em while you can.
________
Tr (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_TR)

454PB
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
The last two I got weighed 142 pounds each.....full to the brim. I'd guess you will lose about 10% of that in clips and junk.

dmftoy1
08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I'd say I see about 120lbs of ingots out of a full bucket . .approximately. :) Depends on the number of zinc weights, the phase of the moon and all kinds of other things. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

jonk
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
More than I can lift high enough to clear my car trunk, I'll tell you that. I can carry them, yes, but not lifting them that high. It would hurt my back.

wonderwolf
08-15-2007, 01:09 PM
I dunno..how much does a pound of wheel weights weigh?

The clips really add up fast though..we use a 100lb cleaner furnace so its easy and fast.

Typecaster
08-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Biggest variable I've found is whether there's a whole bunch of llittle weights in the bucket. Some batches I've processed lately had a chunk of alloy not much wider than the clip, resulting in a high proportion of clips and crap to WW alloy. Then again, if there are a lot of truck weights, you get a high proportion of alloy.

I started smelting WWs about 35 years ago, and don't remember very many small ones back then.

The small weight/large weight issue came up when I tried to figure out why there was so much variation in the weight of various buckets of WWs.

blysmelter
08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Guess factories turn out better made tires and rims:-)
Biggest trouble overe here is zinc and now also steel weigths. I also keep finding som stick-ons marked only with the weigth i grams (5,10,5,10) and an "A", not zinck, not lead.

rmb721
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
I think you lose about 16% from clips and other things mixed in. Add to this the steel and zinc weights.

RANGER RICK
08-15-2007, 03:51 PM
I did weigh the clips out of three different bucket's full to the top of weights.
1=23 pounds
2=25 pounds
3=22 pounds

RR

Junior1942
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I did a weigh before & weigh after on a batch of ww a while back. The result = 86% ingots; 14% clips, etc.

Andy_P
08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
We seem to be in agreement on the issue:

- about 150 lbs/5 gal
- yields about 120 lbs of WW (and pure lead from stick-ons)

I smelted five pails and got one full pail of clips after all was done.

I'm still paying about $0.20/lb for raw WW's and happy to do so. The "problem" is that I need to drop by these two places once every six weeks to get a pail full, for fear that if I don't the full pail will become a nuisance and someone else will supplant me. It's good being the guy they mean when they say "sorry, someone else comes by every month and picks them up". Miss one cycle and you're a goner.

Sundogg1911
08-17-2007, 04:10 PM
The problems i've been dealing with are all of the lug nuts, wheel studs, bolts, and misc. garbage, that have been in the buckets of WW's that I get, but I do get'em for beer donations so I can't complain. I just can't tell from bucket to bucket how much alloy I really have. My neighbors father scraps, so He's happy to stop by with His truck and take all of the clips and scrap that I end up with.