PDA

View Full Version : Lyman / Ideal No. 45 Luber Sizer Parts

lead_her_fly
08-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I recently purchased a No. 45 Lyman Luber/Sizer.
It has no instructions and maybe I have no clue, but I do have a question.
I noticed a lot of "blow by" the first time I used it. "Blow by" as in probably half the lube from one stick on top of the plunger. Maybe I am doing it all wrong and putting too much pressure on the lube stick. Maybe I need to get a heater. The lube I was using was the Lyman "black" stuff.
If there are printed instructions available for the press I would like to get one.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Marine Sgt 2111
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Cpl,
There should be two rubber rings which go around the outside of the lube piston. They serve to keep the lube from leaking around the piston. If they are there and you have a god fit between theme. and the cylinder wall then you may very well be applying too much pressure. I have no experience with the Lyman Moly Lube and don't know if you have to heat it....

454PB
08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't know about the 45, but I have two 450's. One of them began acting up, and I ordered several new pressure plates. One of these 450's was purchased new in about 1972, and at that time they came with a pressure plate that didn't use the newer O-ring type seals. Instead, it has a brass collar that wrapped around the plate and has a sort of mortise and tenon joint that acts like a compression piston ring in and engine. The newer O-ring type work much better and are easy to fix when they leak....just add new O-rings.

The new pressure plates are $3 each and the O-rings (need 2) are $1 each. I bought the new O-rings at a hardware store for $.38.

shooting on a shoestring
08-10-2007, 12:10 AM
May I suggets two things. One, the lube that "blows by" can be stuck back in the reservoir when the pressure plate is removed and you're refilling it. Two, cooking your own lube can be a real hoot. Try Felix lube posted here on this site. Or try beeswax mixed with an oil, or Alox, or just more beeswax. I've spent about a year playing around with lubes. They don't have to be complicated to work well. And most of the ingredients are cheap. Try it. Then it won't matter if you have some "blow by" b/c you'll have an endless supply of lube on hand.

lead_her_fly
08-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Cpl,
There should be two rubber rings which go around the outside of the lube piston. They serve to keep the lube from leaking around the piston. If they are there and you have a god fit between theme. and the cylinder wall then you may very well be applying too much pressure. I have no experience with the Lyman Moly Lube and don't know if you have to heat it....

I want to reply to you first Sarge because your post was first but the answer to your post is in 454PB's post below! Semper Fi! And thanks for your service to our country!

I don't know about the 45, but I have two 450's. One of them began acting up, and I ordered several new pressure plates. One of these 450's was purchased new in about 1972, and at that time they came with a pressure plate that didn't use the newer O-ring type seals. Instead, it has a brass collar that wrapped around the plate and has a sort of mortise and tenon joint that acts like a compression piston ring in and engine. The newer O-ring type work much better and are easy to fix when they leak....just add new O-rings.

The new pressure plates are $3 each and the O-rings (need 2) are $1 each. I bought the new O-rings at a hardware store for $.38.

454PB, Can I order those new pressure plates from a supplier or do I have to go back to Lyman. I have the type of pressure plate like you mentioned last. The brass piston ring is scarred up pretty bad and I would like to try to replace it.

Thanks for all of your help too by the way!

Skip

imashooter2
08-10-2007, 07:05 AM
I have three 45's... A couple of washers cut from a foam plate will help the leakage problem with your skirt type pressure nut, but buying the new O ring pressure nuts is the way to go. Lyman will sell them to you for $3 each and shipping is not that bad. When I bought mine, they came with the O rings installed.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

IIRC, someone scanned and posted the old 45 instruction sheet. Do a search and if you can't find it let me know... I'll see what I can do about getting a copy of mine available.

454PB
08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Here is a picture comparing the two styles of pressure nuts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/eddard49/450pressurenuts.jpg

Bret4207
08-10-2007, 06:44 PM
More Jarheads! I love it. And a Cpl at that. Me too. Semper Fi, Cpl Bret USMC 79-83.

SharpsShooter
08-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I recently purchased a No. 45 Lyman Luber/Sizer.
It has no instructions and maybe I have no clue, but I do have a question.
I noticed a lot of "blow by" the first time I used it. "Blow by" as in probably half the lube from one stick on top of the plunger. Maybe I am doing it all wrong and putting too much pressure on the lube stick. Maybe I need to get a heater. The lube I was using was the Lyman "black" stuff.
If there are printed instructions available for the press I would like to get one.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have the old #45 sizer as well and experienced the same problem early on. Simple fix: Remove the plunger. Take a sandwhich bag and stretch it over the threaded rod. (you will actually puncture two thicknesses of baggie) Leave the baggie in place and press the plunger down until it is in position to engage the threads and continue to wind it down as per usual operation. I have done this for a long time and it stops leaks right now. I have had to replace the baggie seal once in the past two years, so it is not too expensive.[smilie=1:

SS

imashooter2
08-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Do you trap the baggie between the skirt and the tube, or do you keep the baggie within the skirt like my foam plate washers?

SharpsShooter
08-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Do you trap the baggie between the skirt and the tube, or do you keep the baggie within the skirt like my foam plate washers?

Trap it between the brass skirt and the tube. I leave the excess baggie on there and just wrap it around the pressure screw rod and push the cap down over it. If I am not explaining it right, let me know and I will take a series of pictures. It works really well.

SS

montana_charlie
08-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I noticed a lot of "blow by" the first time I used it. "Blow by" as in probably half the lube from one stick on top of the plunger.
Here is a place where 'terminology' becomes important.

None of the parts in a Lyman #45 is called a 'plunger'. So, it leaves me wondering if your question has been answered by those who gave advice about the 'pressure nut'...or if you were referring to the 'bottom punch' the bullet sits on as you push it down into the sizing die.

If you crank too much pressure into the reservoir...or if you don't keep solid pressure on the bullet's nose...or both...you will end up with lots of lube between the bottom punch and the bullet's base.

The idea is to keep the bullet firmly sandwiched between the top punch and the bottom punch...and crank on the reservoir wrench just enough to squirt the correct amount of lube onto the bullet.

It only takes a small tweak on the wrench.

If you think you have a lot of 'blowby' now...wait till you thin that lube out with a heater. You only need a heater for 'hard' lubes, or working in a cold room.

As for replacing your existing pressure nut...
I have a #45 which came with the original steel and brass pressure nut (as pictured on the right in 454PB's post). I took it out to clean out the reservoir, and found it was in poor condition.
I bought (from Lyman) a new pressure nut (as pictured on the left) along with the required O-rings. Although it's made for the newer units, it fits perfectly in the #45.

Finally, I have uploaded a copy of the manual. It is not of very good quality, but it was sent to me in this state.
CM

imashooter2
08-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Trap it between the brass skirt and the tube. I leave the excess baggie on there and just wrap it around the pressure screw rod and push the cap down over it. If I am not explaining it right, let me know and I will take a series of pictures. It works really well.

SS

I understand perfectly. I bought the O ring washers for 2 of my presses, but still have one with the skirt type washer. I'll give your method a try with that. The foam plate washers I've been using help, but there is still a bit of blow by. They also get stuck on top of the lube occasionally and you have to dig them out. Your fix sounds superior in all respects.

AZ Pete
08-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Check your PM for the Lyman 45 instructions and diagram