PDA

View Full Version : 2nd generation brass holder

jeepyj
03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Hey all, After using my original brass holder(shown a few posts ago) I noticed as I brought my hand across I didn't like the square edge of the front so I decided to build the second generation model. Shown in the photos are 9mm. Just thought I'd share.62978

chsparkman
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
What a great idea!

jeepyj
03-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Thank you. I used it yesterday for a few hundred it works some slick

cheese1566
03-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Those would be sweet with the CastBoolit logo burned into it with a laser...

or maybe even a decal.

How do they work with boolits?

Dutchman
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
A very slick idea and a very well done v2.0 over the original.

You could sell these puppies...

Dutch

jeepyj
03-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Agreed I'll have to order a few stickers. I'll be swaging in a day or two ill report then. After my post count gets up and I finish paying my dues I was thinking I could swap a couple for some brass or something. But testing is still in progress.
Jeepyj

Doc65
03-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Looks like my dog feeder... But in seriousness, what are you using it for exactly, where in the loading process does it fit, as I can't see where I'd use it? Nice looking & cool idea, just curious...

Case Stuffer
03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Seems like some pick up one case at a time and feed into their press' shell holder , me I just grab a double handful and throw them in the case collator / case feed tubes.

This is a nice simple solution for many and would cut down on the bench space needed for say a few hundred cases.

joec
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
I've seen these used also and readily available at most pet supply places. I use one for my cats out side.

jeepyj
03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
The right concept however without the nose sticking out it really doesn't flow too well as your bring your hand across. That was the reason for generation two version I was hitting the square edge of the nose in which hindered my flow and was a little uncomfortable.
I know some guys are using auto feeds and are probably laughing but after 34 years I'm very happy with my single stage press. plus I just love going to the work shop and making something to improve my hobbies
jeepyj

Chicken Thief
03-05-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm thick and maybe a bit daft so bear with me!

WHY?

What does a (semi) single chaotic layer of cases have in favor of picking from the top of a pile? It's not as if they are going to flow to the corners by themselves, so?
If you toss 100 cases in a shallow pale and use them, then refill. What does your "feeder" do better?

Not criticising, i just dont get it, so help please.

jeepyj
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I really can't say if this is better for everyone else or not. I do know for me it works very slick. Before I was reaching into a container of some sort or fiddling around trying to get brass just right on the bench now they are constantly at my fingertips at the same depth and same place. Once again I'm not trying to sell it just showing my "special project" that works very well for me.
Jeepyj

Whiterabbit
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm thick and maybe a bit daft so bear with me!

WHY?

What does a (semi) single chaotic layer of cases have in favor of picking from the top of a pile? It's not as if they are going to flow to the corners by themselves, so?
If you toss 100 cases in a shallow pale and use them, then refill. What does your "feeder" do better?

Not criticising, i just dont get it, so help please.

I could make some guesses. Maybe if he's the kind of reloader that is always shifting the supplies on a single stage press so that they are in the perfect place to minimize cycle time. Shifting which hand does what or moving the products a few inches can mean the difference between many rounds per 10 minutes. Piled on a towel is harder to move around.

Sprue
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Good Idea ! I would be more inclined to use it for Brass rotation purposes. Would certainly improve my current methods of the rotating the brass.

Thanks for Posting