PDA

View Full Version : Another New Gun for me! Again!

W.R.Buchanan
03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Well guys, I managed to sell three guns in the last month.

I sold my Browning .22 Auto ,and got way more than I paid for it. I sold my Husqvarna .30-06 made in 1951-2 that I have had for 40 years, and got way more than I paid for it. And I sold my Marlin 1894 Carbine in .44 mag/spec. for way more than I paid for it.

The intention all along was to buy a nice .410 O/U shotgun so I could shoot skeet with and have a way to burn up the 10 lbs of H110/W296 powder that I have been carrying around for he last 10 years.

Not being completely stupid,,, I immediately started looking for the replacement for these guns as soon as I cashed the check Saturday morning, as all "gun money" must be kept tied up in "guns" or it evaporates into thin air by being used to buy meaningless krap.

I went to www.trapshooters.com yesterday morning at about 11AM and started looking for a Beretta or Browning. Approximately 5-7 minutes later I ran across a guy who I know back east that had a pair of "as new" Browning Citori Sporting Clays O/U's in 28 and .410. The 28ga one had sold a few minutes earlier but the .410 was still there.

A quick look, and an "I'll take it," and it is mine. Total time involved from start of search to fruition <10 minutes.

This gun has 32" bbls(exactly what I wanted) and came with an Americase, and a set of Briley Choke Tubes. Complete package, all I add is ammunition.

I might add that both of these guns were on that sight for less than 15 minutes before they were gone, which should come as no surprise to people used to buying stuff off the Castboolits site where desirable items seldom last more than a few minutes.

I realize this is not a Factory "Rifle" but I am so stoked about this purchase that I can't contain myself, and feel I should let everyone (except my wife) know.

Where this gun ties into Castboolits is the fact that I will be shooting alot of .410's made from .444 Marlin cases.

I am in a state of total euphoria over this.

I will post pics as soon as it gets here, in a few weeks due to shipping and CA registration BS.

Randy

NSP64
03-03-2013, 06:30 PM
What kind of tungsten loads are you going to come up with?

garym1a2
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
W296 a good powder fo blackout. 10 lbs is 4000 rounds of blk.

W.R.Buchanan
03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
The one on the bottom is mine! :mrgreen:

Randy

seagiant
03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi Randy,
Wow! Very nice! I'm jealous again,you have good taste and go in interesting directions! Being a southern boy and growing up in Georgia hunting bobwhite quail with bird dogs, I can't help but think that would be a nice gun to shoot as a 12 bird covey rocketed off in all directions!!!

nekshot
03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I shall not envy, I choose to be happy for you! My dad borrowed a beautiful 410 dbl barrel for me the first year I hunted. I never saw it after he returned it and the other fella is long gone. I can appreciate you successful find!

W.R.Buchanan
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys,,, I am now looking for a .410 reloading machine. Kind of want a DL266 but might end up with a 366 as they seem to be more plentiful. Saw a really used DL366 at a local gun show just before christmas but the guy wanted $800. I told the guy I could buy a new one for $575, he didn't seem to care but he also took it and his other stuff home with him at the end of the show. That's alright cuz I know where he lives and I'll wait til he's drunk and flash a couple of hundreds in his face. I really want a DL266 cuz of the different sizes of shells I want to load and it would be easier to set up for the different shells. Maybe I need both?

I'm in a quandry ?

This is something I have wanted for a very long time. I am just hoping I can get invited to a Dove shoot this year. The one I am trying for is located directly across the road from my house! I literally could walk there in 5 minutes.

It would be fun to bag a limit with a .410.

Randy

gunfan
03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Excellent!

Swamp Man
03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice gun. I have a 22lr/410 Savage 24 P nothing like taking birds with a 410.

colt1960
03-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Randy, Thats one beautiful shot gun youve got. hope it shoots as well as it looks. Rick!

Uncle R.
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
...all "gun money" must be kept tied up in "guns" or it evaporates into thin air by being used to buy meaningless krap.
Randy

That, sir, is one profound piece of wisdom.

Your .410 Citori with Briley chokes sounds like the bee's knees to me!
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it long and well.
<
Uncle R.

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
UNcle: I hope to shoot the thing alot. Just bought a Pacific DL266 loader today, and plan to use it to load conventional shotshells as well as brass ones.

The gun shipped from Nashville today so I should see it by the beginning of next week. Then we have to go thru the CA BS of registering it and waiting another 10 days.

I guess I'll live, but this will probably be the last gun I buy for a while. I pretty much have everything I want or need. I guess I still have to complete my AR but I already have the lower so technically I am not buying another gun, I'm just buying some parts.

I also have several gun projects that need to be finished and will essentially yield "new guns" even though I've had them for some time.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Well the gun is now in my posession! it is brand new with no marks whatsoever on it. It handles like a dream and fits me very nicely. Since it is still new it is pretty tight and I may work on that a bit. But just cleaning it and replacing all of the lubricant on it with Frog Lube made a world of difference.

I can't stand it,,, I must show pics.

Note the burls in the buttstock. Not bad for an "Entry Level" shotgun.

Randy

wch
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I own your gun's sibling 20 gauge, and I think that these are the best shotguns, over all, that the average shooter can buy.

W.R.Buchanan
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
wch: you're right about that. The Berretta's are close competetors but they are much harder to find in the sub guages than the Brownings are.

What most don't understand is that these guns as considered entry level shotguns even though they are in the $2500-3,000 MSRP range. However you get enough bang for your buck cuz it is not unusual for any of these guns to go 100,000 rounds before even needing new springs. Then it is not unusual for them to go 300k plus before needing any serious work, like a new breach lock.

As far as resale goes my gun was on Trapshooters.com for 15 minutes before I found it. The 28ga one only lasted 10 minutes. They are not hard to sell if you knwo where to go.

Incidentially www.trapshooters.com is the shotgun equivilent of Castboolits.com Great people that think just about exactly like we do!

AS long as they are taken care of and not banged around beating up the wood or putting scratches or dents in them they hold value well. They are not field guns perse' however you could use them as such, but the main usage is in the controlled environment of a Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays venue where there is less of a chance for damage to the gun.

When you consider that a Kreighoff, or Perazzi will set you back $10,000, to as much as you're willing to spend (depending on embellishment) for only cosmetic differences in the gun, then the value of these less expensive guns becomes obvious. They are everybit as capible as any $10,000 gun, they just aren't quite as fancy.There is nothing cheap or substandard about the Browning Citori line or the Berretta Silver Pidgeon line. They are just a little more "mass produced" than the high end guns which are basically hand made.

Point of all this is whereas I would love to have a Kreighoff K20 with 20,28, and .410 bbls the extra $14,000+ I'd need to spend is probably going to be used towards a new car.

After all I need a proper "Shooting Brake" to arrive at my shooting venue.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
And today I got to shoot it! I shot two rounds of skeet and broke just as many as I have broke with my 12GA.
I didn't feel handicapped in any way and as it turned out there was several other guys there with .410's as well as a few with 28's.

I knew I was going to love this gun when I broke the first four targets right out of the gate.

Got to get busy and reload some hulls.

Randy

TXGunNut
04-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Congrats! Sweet shotgun.