PDA

View Full Version : It's on the way

Jim
08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
At 5:45 AM this morning, I ordered my Lee Pro 4 20 lb. furnace. Just for good measure, I threw in a priming tool, a .452 sizing die and a 2 cavity .452-228-1R mold. The mold is the one with the REALLY round nose and the 2 lube grooves. Anybody here ever use that in .45 ACP? I've had great success with the tumble lube model, but thought I'd get this one just to see how it shoots.

IcerUSA
08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I have the 230 2r tl, TC 230 2lg, and the 190SWC tl all in 6 cav molds but not the 1R yet, but they all shoot good in my guns now, just might have to see if I can get a few to see how they work in my peestoles :)

kodiak1
08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
WAY TO GO JIM..... See another one hooked into the mysterious silver stream!!!!!
Ken.

Halfbreed
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Jim, hello, I hate to say it, but I had the 228 rn mold you are asking about, nothing but troubles, 2 cavities way undersized, I mean the sizer die never touched the bullet, and it was very difficult getting the bullets to drop from the mold. I am in on 2 differant Lee GB molds and have a 3rd in hand, but I am done with all Lee equipment. dies melters, loading equipment, everything.
Their QC is totally out the window, and I beleive they just plain don't care about us anymore.

any more molds will be nei, they care about us and want our repeat business.
John

trickyasafox
08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
i have a 2 cav in the 228 RN 1r or however they name it. I like it. it feeds well in my 1911. I got a 6 cav 230gr tc just because i think the profile looks cooler, not because it works better for me. the lube grooves are a bit small, and pan lubing was tricky but all in all i think it makes a great bullet.

Jim
08-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Halfbreed,
Sorry to hear you're having bad experiences with Lee. I've been using Lee stuff for many years and the only problem I've had is anything that has moving parts. I had 2 of their turret presses go south on me and a few of their powder chargers have walked off the job. However, their molds and dies have proven their worth to me many times over.

Ice,
I bought a Ruger P345 a few weeks ago and ordered that .452-228-1R to try in it. One thing about the Ruger that I'm gonna hafta watch is the Ruger has no throat. The barrel goes from chamber to riflings with no transition. I may have problems getting that 1R to seat deep enough to chamber and still feed. Rest assured, you WILL hear about it when I get there.
HOWEVER, I did try the .452-230-TLTC and it seems to do OK. The first few did not let the slide return to battery, but that was an operator error. I didn't have the boolit seated deep enough, so the lead drive band bottomed out on the back of the riflings. I had to "forward assist" manually. I've got a box loaded now with the lead drive band hidden in the case mouth. I'll find out Saturday morning.

Chunky Monkey
08-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Halfbreed,
Sorry to hear you're having bad experiences with Lee. I've been using Lee stuff for many years and the only problem I've had is anything that has moving parts. I had 2 of their turret presses go south on me and a few of their powder chargers have walked off the job. However, their molds and dies have proven their worth to me many times over.

Ice,
I bought a Ruger P345 a few weeks ago

Jim I got a P345 about 2 years ago and I love it (wish is had better sights though). It eats just about anyting I stuff in it. I have fed a few rounds of Oregon Trail laser cast 230 RN through it lately (trying to work out a good acurate load before I reload a few thousand). My first few have COL of 1.255 and seem to feed OK. I will keep an eye on his thread as I am gathering stuff to start casing myself and have the 452-228-1R in my Midway wish list.

EMC45
08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I have been debating that very same mold in a 2 cav. I use the 2 cav TC mold and it works great. I have a buddy who has feeding trouble with the TC. I don't though and I am shooting plenty of them through a Springfield Mil Spec.

Jim
08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
32 years of inhaling welding fumes has caused the onset of CRS syndrome [smilie=1: and sometimes I can't keep up with where I heard something. ALL THAT BEING SAID:roll:, I recently saw a post about the Ruger 345s having trouble chambering anything that jams the riflings. I can sure 'nuf testify 'bout that! If ya' seat those truncated cone boolits so the shoulder of the boolit is flush with the case mouth, them puppies'll run up in there like there ain't no tomorrow. Least ways, they do fer me.
Ya' know, I never will get over my romance with the 230 FMJ NATO ball round. Man, I love the look and feel of that! Hi-Tech Ammo has them from time to time(they keep showing "out of stock") for about $45/500. I just can't seem to catch them when they have the bullets and I have the money. I HATE it when that happens!:(

I'm done now.
:groner: