PDA

View Full Version : Craze may be loosening a little for powder and primers

kweidner
03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Thank you lord. I was at one of the larger gun shops in Savannah Friday. They had plenty of CCI primers in small rifle and pistol. When I got there they were stocking a big order and had no less than 20 or so jugs each of bullseye and unique both in 8lb and 4lb jug. Being I only had about a pound of BE left I bought one for me and one for my shooting partner. Guys at store said that it seems to be picking back up. This particular shop stocks more powder than any I have ever been in outside of GA arms.

My cousin in macon went to a gun show yesterday and was able to find large pistol, large rifle, some 50 bmg and other powders he has been needing. GA arms has a ton of stuff in stock too. The shelves were almost bare a couple weeks ago. Maybe manufacturers are starting to catch back up. Slightly higher than pre scare prices but nothing too bad in both our cases.

P.K.
03-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Good news!

fishnbob
03-03-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't know. I tried to order some primers from Powder Valley on Friday but they wouldn't accept backorders.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't think so.

Rather you just hit a shop "stocking a big order" that you don't know how much they really wanted to buy, or of what they actually received, or how long they waited, or what their sales volume is normally. Check and see what big national suppliers have on hand. Its spotty, lots of stock holes, lots of back orders only. Check things like dies, powder measures, firearms available (Bud's for example or other distributors), components, and common shooting accessories or reloading items.

I don't think you can walk into your LGS and pick a brick of 22s off the shelf with a choice available.

Wally stoped selling ammo entirely in a great many stores as their shipments to stores from their central buying were a wasted effort. All thats left now are uncommon shotshell loads.

At the big Louisville, KY gunshow yesterday, I only saw 5 used reloading sets that no one wanted, very little powder, ridiculous,jacked up prices on everything, exactly 4 bricks of junk 22 ammo in well worn sleeves for $63 a brick, and very little new brass at twice the pre-Sandy Hook prices. Not much gun buying either as guns run on ammo and components, like cars do on gas.

BvT

Olevern
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Biggest shop in our area (Grice Gun Shop, Clearfield, Pa) has a limit of 200 primers and one box of jacketed bullets, plus a limit of one pound of powder, but seem to have adequate stock to sell. Probably would not if they allowed the hoarders to do their thing.

Employee I talked to said it was a good thing for him (the limits) as if they sold all they had and couldn't get more, some of the employees would no doubt be furloughed (without pay) for awhile until supply caught up with demand.

No stock in the store means no work; employer will not pay employees for standing around and doing nothing.
After all, this ain't France yet, although it's getting close in some areas.

historicfirearms
03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I've been seeing a few Salt rifles on the shelves of my local gun shops. They are still selling fast, but at least they have some. Prices on guns seem to be coming back down too.

Wayne Smith
03-03-2013, 09:39 AM
My best buddy was looking for pistol powder around here yesterday in vain. I have an extra lb of Power Pistol so he's not completely up a creek.

Sasquatch-1
03-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Went to a gun show yesterday in the Martinsburg WV/Hagerstown Md area. Absolutely NO reloading componeants.

ftut
03-03-2013, 10:09 AM
A buddy of mine went by the Charleston WV Cabelas on Thursday and they had CCI small pistol primers. It was a 1000 limit and since he doesn't reload but I do he grabbed a box for me. This is the first small pistol primers I've seen in weeks.

Boerrancher
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I have got one last ditch effort to pick up a thousand Small Rifle primers, and if the shop doesn't have it I will be some what SOL until supply catches up with demand. I do have enough to keep shooting what little I shoot cartridge guns anymore, but if things don't loosen up some soon it is going to be tough.

Best wishes,

Joe

gkainz
03-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Did my Friday morning stand in line at sportsmans warehouse while they inventory and unload the truck. This time the only primers in the load were shotgun and Large Rifle Magnums. Didn't stick around to see what they received for powder. The line for ammo was longer sooner than normal. Must have been at least 50 people waiting for the store to open.

Lance Boyle
03-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I hope it passes soon and I suspect in a couple months things will be much closer to normal. Currently my LGS has some primers in all sizes but not all brands. They're doing the limit thing, 2 packs of a type per customer. They will not sell a whole brick to one customer, there was a period when they were completely out of SR and SP primers hence the sales limits to keep shooters going and less of a supply to hoarders. Bullets are fine for your deer hunting but match bullets and FMJs are gone in .224 and .308, in fact the only .224 bullets for sale were 40 grain Sierra's. Their powder stocks are half down with the most popular varieties out of stock; varget, 4895, 4064, W748, W231 etc. My last two times hanging out with my buddy, the owner, and we were helping guys choose another powder for their application.

Kull
03-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Sportsmans Warehouse near me is bone dry. People are still lining up at the door on shipping day to buy everything.

km101
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Went to the Ft. Worth, TX Cabela's on Fri. No primers! The display of new brass had more empty pegs than full ones. The powder display was still up, but a clerk that I talked with said that they were out of most powders. They had plenty of reloading equipment and accessories, just nothing to use it on. They had a pretty good stock of pistol bullets, but very few rifle bullets

Not much going on at the gun counter, but it was 3:00pm of Fri, so it was not a high traffic time.

I really dont see things loosening up much around here. The LGS around here are not getting new stock and dont know when they will. Not a pretty picture.

rockrat
03-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Was in sportsmans warehouse yesterday, had 3--8lb kegs of shotgun powder and about 10 other assorted pound containers. No primers

Cabelas had 223 ammo, limit 5

TheGrimReaper
03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
No powder or primers in my A.O.

quilbilly
03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I have noticed this already with primers at many of my customers who sell reload gear.

DLCTEX
03-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Bare shelves in our area.

Sparky141
03-03-2013, 04:01 PM
I was at the Cabelas in Wheeling WV Friday and Saturday selling NRA Memberships . watched them put out about 60 lbs of powder and 40k primers at 4pm Fri. they still had more than half of it left at closing Saturday . The bullet selection was terrible more empty shelf than there was product . there was no 22 ammo except 2k of shorts . They must of had a boat load of 9mm and 223 cause it seemed like everyone had 10 boxes of it in their cart . I did buy a 1993 LNIB Marlin 39a so I was happy .

Boyscout
03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Plainfield Shooting Supply outside Indy had standard CCI Large Rifle and CCI Small Pistol and some Remington in stock. Their bulk brass bins were fairly well stocked with the exception of .223 Rem. They had a lot of .35 Remington. Powder and guns were in short supply though. They had 4lb. bottles of WIN 296 powder. I picked up some .223 50 gn Remington PLHP bullets they had just got in bulk. They would only sell 200 but I was fine with that. I want everyone to stay employed. Our big box Gander Mountain on the north side gave up on reloaders two years ago and supplies there are non-existant and have been.

badboyparamedic
03-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Was at gun show yesterday, heard many Vendors commenting about how they needed to unload their high priced stuff before people realized supplies were catching up and prices would be coming down.

I decided not to buy anything, will hold out a little longer.

oldred
03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Was in my local GS here in East Tn yesterday and although I didn't have time to check it out I could see a bunch of 1 lb powder containers were back on a shelf that was bare only a week ago, he also had some CCI primers behind the counter but when I asked about 22 RF he said he didn't have a clue when that was coming in. Looks like it might (let's hope anyway!) be easing up some and if it truly is letting up this soon it may turn out to be not as bad as we have imagined.

kweidner
03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Still need 4831sc. Haven't seen any of that nor varget. This lgs has historically had a large amount of stock. It still wasn't normal for them but at least it was looking better. Only powders that came in that day were alliant according to owner yet he still had a good supply of all companies but the super popular like varget and 4831sc. He did have imr 4831 but I am not desperate enough to do more load research on my 6.5.

plmitch
03-03-2013, 06:27 PM
You might be right there about stuff loosing up a bit. Hasn't been a huge problem here, just need to look around and you'll find stuff you need and have the money to spend. We picked up a 1000 CCI LRP, 1# of Unique and IMR 4895. Price wasn't too bad either. I think the Henny Penny mentality will be over before long.

Blammer
03-03-2013, 06:27 PM
the local paper had a story about the shortage of ammo in the area. That was shocking!

Moonie
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Saturday at the local gun shop I got 1K Winchester LP and a pound of W296, needed SR primers but no luck. They had some powder but very sparse compared to pre-crazy.

dakotashooter2
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
The show up here hasn't really had any reloading supplies for many years. A few guys with a brick of primers here and there at about$40-$45. One guy had 2 bricks of ALCAN primers..... The boxes were in mint condition. I think he wanted $45 brick I'd be willing to bet the original cost of those was $6-$8 or less.................................

Lots of AR mags with prices all over the place...............

Didn't see much buying going on.........................

oldred
03-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Didn't see much buying going on.........................

That's the encouraging part and I keep hearing it from almost everyone I know, "I'm going to wait until this is over" seems to be the new trend now. If that's indeed the case we may start to see things getting back to near normal sooner than we expected.

375supermag
03-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I have a LGS (southcentral Pa.) that has been getting a fairly good supply of powders in for a couple of weeks now. I have been able to buy Bullseye, 2400 and Blue Dot at right around $18-19/lb.
This week they finally got in some Unique, so I padded my reserve with another 2Lbs.

Today, they had the first primer delivery they have had in quite some time. They were limiting customers to 1000 primers per customer. I bought 1K SP primers(Win) @ $31.99/K and sent my son over to pick up another 1K when he got home from work.

Another LGS sent out an e-mail flyer advertising CCI SP primers for this weekends sale at $29.99/K.

It appears that powder and primers may becoming more available...now if we could get some .22LR and some jacketed bullets from Hornady.

Reload3006
03-05-2013, 11:27 PM
just got an email today from Powder Valley my ten pounds of IMR4350 and Primers are on their way to me. Be patient if you have face book when powder valley gets product in they send out allerts ... get your order in and you will have it in about a month.

Jay561
03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Wally stoped selling ammo entirely in a great many stores as their shipments to stores from their central buying were a wasted effort. All thats left now are uncommon shotshell loads.

BvT

Here in my part of Florida the 4 Walmarts near me have different shipments everyday. In the past week Ive seen 45s, 9mms 380s, 45 colt, 44 mag. So maybe people just grab it as soon as it hits the shelf where you are.

Ed Barrett
03-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Went into Lebanon yesterday LGS had no small rifle or small pistol of any make a few (1500 CCI large rifle magnum) had a partial order of powder come in last week I picked up a can of IMR 3031. Everything else was very slow stuff. No pistol powders or shotgun powders. No place in town had any 22's except shot shells. The Squirrels are throwing parties everyday since nobody shooting them.

Springfield0612
03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Wholesale Sports here in Poulsbo, WA has a great selection of powders, very minimal on primers, and they've not increased their prices at all since this all began. Funny that as of 10 March, 2013 they are being sold back to Sportsmans Warehouse.

Reload3006
03-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Called the local reloading shop in St. Charles Mo yesterday and asked about powder they said sure we have it. Went by and Bought 2 pounds of 5744 and a pound of 2400 I didnt check to see if they had primers but they had a lot of bullets a lot of powder. I got a bag of 7x57 brass and 3 pounds of powder. Didn't seem like they were out of anything. Again I didn't look for primers as I dont need any.

texassako
03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I was in the local Cabela's yesterday and the list of powders in stock was a single little sticky note, and limits on how much powder, primers, and brass you could purchase. I picked up some Clays and Trailboss to try while I was there since I don't need enough to justify a hazmat fee. The bad part was the employee who helped me said they had not seen a delivery truck in 3 days and always had a delivery each day before.