PDA

View Full Version : 22 rimfire swaging question

lars1367
03-02-2013, 10:30 PM
A week ago I started selling once fired and range brass online; it's been great! I had been sorting it before I purchased it to get out all the unreloadable cases. I am no longer working with small quantities, so I'll be stuck with a lot of 22's. I'd hate to see them go to waste. Here are my questions, is there a decent enough market to sort them and sell them on my site? From the sticky on swaging .22 I learned that I should at least keep the shorts and longs separate. How else should they be sorted (head stamp, color, zodiological sign :roll:, etc.)? Obviously, I haven't got a clue on this topic, but I admire those of you that have the ability to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Corey L. Larson

ratboy
03-02-2013, 11:52 PM
i have been happy just buying a few pounds and sorting it myself. i can not speak for everyone. sorted by zodiac sign might be interesting......

OneShotNeeded
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
How much do you have and how are you going to be selling it? Small flat rate box? Etc. I may be interested in some.
P.S. I see you're in va. Where abouts? And welcome to this site.

lars1367
03-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Sorting by zodiac will drive the price up since I have to take it to the card reader down the street!

The quantity I'll have depends on how much makes it into the container when I buy it. I'm looking into the best way to sell it right now. It'll be by 100, 1000, etc like I have the other brass priced out, or by the lb. Either way, the cost will depend only on how much I pay for it and how much time I have invested in preparing it. I only ship via USPS flat rate boxes right now, it seems to be the most cost effective for my customers (another piece of information I got from this site... thanks guys!). Location is Norfolk.

Another question: Do you tumble this, and if so, would you prefer it be tumbled prior to purchase?

Thanks,
Corey

NSP64
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
welcome????
He has been here since 2010!!!!!!!!

lars1367
03-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Yea, I just haven't had anything interesting to say! The search feature has usually provided me with the answer to my questions in the past.

-Corey

welcome????
He has been here since 2010!!!!!!!!

nhrifle
03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Just bag it up as is. There are a couple steps of annealing and cleaning we have to go through before they are usable for jackets anyway. I would be interested in some as well.

SquirrelHollow
03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Castboolits pretty much follows the rest of the market for .22 rimfire hulls - sort out the magnum, short, and .17 caliber cases, and sell each type by the pound.

The end-user can sort by head stamp and condition, and remove unwanted cases (such as nickel-plated).
You could charge just a little more if you sorted out the undesirable cases, but not much.

cba257
03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I would be interested in some. Baged in a flat-rate box.

kweidner
03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
me too on the 22. hopefully gonna need some 22mag soon. :)

bullet maker 57
03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Me too. 22lr and 22 mag.

DukeInFlorida
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Not to steal the thread, but I also have some .22 LR brass that I will be selling.
I'll sell it in small flat rate boxes, filled to the brim, at $2.50 a pound (not sure how many pounds in a small flat rate box yet) plus shipping.

I will do ONLY a rough tumble to remove what rocks and debris I can get out. Otherwise, it's unsorted range brass. No other processing done.

lars1367
03-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Thread hijacker. :kidding: $2.50 a lb the going rate for you guys? It's less than my cost for the stuff, but I'm not looking at buying any .22 to resell. It's just what gets stuck in along with the centerfire I purchase. If I have to take a loss to get rid of it, I guess that's less of a loss. Kinda like if you have to get kicked in the crotch, it's better to be kicked by a mule than a horse... still gonna hurt like hell!

DukeInFlorida
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Locally, I can get $2 a pound at the scrap metal place for the brass, as scrap. All of my .22 LR brass is picked up at my local range, for free. So, I start with zero actual cost.

Unlike the retailers around the country, who are gouging the heck out of everything these days, I would charge a mere 50 cents a pound, as the processing fee, for getting the brass tumbled, and into the box, and driven to the post office. There's not a lot of pounds in a small flat rate box. So, this is right at the limit of whether it's worth doing, based on low dollars in my pocket. It's still better than taking the brass to the scrapper, and dumping it. So, it's $2.50 a pound, plus shipping. Hope it helps someone who has trouble getting .22 lr brass at all.

I've always sold brass here, based on what the scrap rate is, plus a small extra for me. Maybe I'm charging too little for brass, but I have had lots of happy customers, and many repeats.

Today was a chemo therapy day, and I am hoping to have enough energy to get to my reloading room tomorrow to process some brass, and weigh up a few boxes. I'll post them for sale in S&S when ready.

BTW, Lars, nice packaging on your once fired brass. You should become a vendor sponsor here at CB, and sell your wares... You'd do well.