PDA

View Full Version : ****Dillon RL 550B Just Broke****

Down South
03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I was reloading 9mm a while ago. I had ran over 100 rounds through the machine when I heard "Snap". The frame of the press where the primer feed assembly bolts up snapped. I did not feel any unusal pressure seating the primer. Actually these primers were all seating easy. I don't know what happened to cause this.

Anybody have an idea what happened.

I'll contact Dillon Monday. Thank goodness that I have a second 550. The only problem is it is in Louisiana and I'm in in Texas.

40Super
03-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Where is Tesas?:kidding:

Did you have something that could have fallen between 2 pieces as they came together? Maybe a bad casted area that had a little cavity in the corner so a crack started easier than it should have. Did you ever drop the press, even a short drop? Dillon should replace for nothing.
Got some closer pics?

bear67
03-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Bummer, I was running 9mm on a 550 just about an hour ago. Dillon will make it good--their service has been great for me for lots of years. How many round have you put through this press that gave up the ghost.

MtGun44
03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Amazing. I have used a 450 and two 550s for 33 yrs and never a significant failure.

Bill

Down South
03-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Where is Tesas?
Fixed it, thanks.

How many round have you put through this press that gave up the ghost.

Thousands and more.
Never been dropped either. I can't imagine anything getting in between anything. I'm still scratching my head.

HATCH
03-02-2013, 10:13 PM
The only way I could see that happening is if someone pulled the primer tube (near the top) towards the operator.
This would cause lots major pressure.
Thats the only way I could see that type of damage.
I have two 550's in my shop right now. I would say one has over 50K rounds on it. Prob more then that since its over 20 years old.

Dillon will make it right. Just sucks you will have to wait 3 months

btroj
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Wow, that isn't good at all.

My 550 B is well per 15 years old and never a major problem. Did get a new primer tube cover and the part that bolts to the press. I stripped the threads put on the old one.

I am sure they will make it right, bad thing is that you are put a press in the mean time.

Gar
03-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Could have been a defect in the casting, never seen or heard of it happening before. Call Dillon Monday, I'm sure they can speed up getting fix for you.

Down South
03-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Yeah, it's a bad time. Dillon has everything on back order. This will require a new frame and I'd bet one won't be easy had for a while.
I sure wish that I could got another hundred rounds or so thought her before she went. I'm making a range trip in the morning and I want to try out the new MiHec 9mm boolits. I have about 100 to test but I'd rather had about 300.
I may have to plan a trip back to Louisiana sooner than expected and pick my other Dillon.

Springfield
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Just prime the cases by hand and run them through.

Down South
03-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Just prime the cases by hand and run them through.
LOL, that would work but my RCBS hand primer resides with my other Dillon in La. BTW, great idea.
That's the problem, most of my reloading equipment is at my house in La. I just keep enough here in Tx to do what I need.
I doubt that I could even find another hand primer locally. People over here are nuts and have bought about anything to deal with reloading.

Whoops, just remembered. I keep a Lee single stage over here to process 5.56 brass with. That would work. I could resize and prime then finish off with the 550.

Oreo
03-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Impossible. I call BS and say the picture has been photochopped. Notice there's no foot in that pic. Dillons don't break because they have each been formed to perfection by God himself then baptized in Chuck Noris' tears.

[/bad humor][/thread jack]

Alvarez Kelly
03-03-2013, 01:37 AM
I have a spare RL450 bare frame I could loan you... PM me.

jmorris
03-03-2013, 02:28 AM
No problem, list it on eBay and get $800 for it.

FLHTC
03-03-2013, 05:54 AM
There isn't anything that puts pressure on that outside corner. On the down stroke, everything still giggles when you shake it on mine. My guess it was bumped at some point by possibly, someone other than yourself and it weakened the end of the casting. Was this posted just to pump up the Lee Lovers?

Down South
03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't have this press permanently mounted. It lives in the storage compartment in my 5th wheel when I'm not using it. I bolt it down to a medal picnic table outside when I use it. I "Carefully" move it from one location to the other. I know that this press has not been bumped or dropped.
My thought is a bad casting.

r1kk1
03-03-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't have this press permanently mounted. It lives in the storage compartment in my 5th wheel when I'm not using it. I bolt it down to a medal picnic table outside when I use it. I "Carefully" move it from one location to the other. I know that this press has not been bumped or dropped.
My thought is a bad casting.

They told me three months to recondition my SD. I and my wife do the 5th wheel thing and we will be looking at a second trailer solution for reloading. We traded our toy hauler in for a non toy hauler so goodbye to the garage! I'm thinking bad casting. Dillon will take care of that no problem but time.

Take care,

r1kk1

Down South
03-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I contacted Dillon last week. They said send it in, they will fix it for free. They gave me an "RNA" Number so I need to try to get it in the mail this week.

seagiant
03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi,
Sorry for the mishap,should of had one of these!!! No breakee!

44Vaquero
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Seagiant, is that the press Mike Dillion said he lost money on every one he sold?

seagiant
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi 44,
Yes! The RL-300 was notorious as the first progressive that Mr. Dillon sold and he said he lost $100 on every one and I believe it!!! I had a 550B and wanted to fall in love,but could never warm up to it and sold it. I always had primer problems with it that me or the boy's at Dillon could not fix to my satisfaction!

I do like the 300 but they are hard to find period! They are a stout press though! I have one in lg primer and one in small.

DLCTEX
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Primer problems on a dillon? another heresy in one thread!:-P

r1kk1
03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Primer problems on a dillon? another heresy in one thread!:-P

They must really have fixed the priming system on the LM. You now have time to post sarcasm.

Back to the post, did Dillon quote you a return time? My 80s model SD was quoted 13 weeks for the refurbish due to current demand.

r1kk1

Down South
03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Back to the post, did Dillon quote you a return time? My 80s model SD was quoted 13 weeks for the refurbish due to current demand.

r1kk1

I did not ask about turn around but should have I guess. The reason I wasn't that concerned is I have another 550 at home that I will bring back with me in about a week.

Down South
03-15-2013, 07:22 AM
I'll send the 550 in today. I don't work but a half day today and I need to use it to load several hundred 9mm. I took one of my single stage presses yesterday afternoon, sized and primed 300 9mm cases. I'll complete the loading of those on the Dillon then tear it down to ship in.
I went by the PO yesterday to find a box that the 550 will fit in. I think I found one. I'll tear the Dillon down to the frame and box it up.

Down South
03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Dang, Dillon is fast. I shipped the press to them on Monday last week and I got a tracking number from them yesterday, "Tuesday". The press will be back in my hands Friday. That just 11 days from the day I shipped it to them. Talk about customer service.
I called them to verify that it was indeed my press coming and they said yes, it shipped yesterday. I talked to the guys down in the repair department. I could hear the sounds of work going on, hammers and grinding sounds.
Now if they can just get the parts I have on back order with them. That's taking a while. Orders and repairs are like comparing apples and oranges right now.

seanhagerty
03-27-2013, 06:49 PM
I am a Dillon RL550b owner and I am proud to admit it!!

VHoward
03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Always nice when you get something faster than you were expecting.

jeo22
03-27-2013, 08:01 PM
I am a Dillon RL550b owner and I am proud to admit it!!

Me too, but I've had an order in with them for a couple months with no luck, not a time for fast service.

Down South
03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Me too, but I've had an order in with them for a couple months with no luck, not a time for fast service.

The service is great. I sent that broke press in and 11 days after I shipped it, I'll have it back. It's orders that are taking time. Used to be before everything went nuts after Sandy Hook, orders were great too. I think that every reloading outfit is up to their necks with back orders they can't fill.
I've had an order in with Dillon for 5-6 weeks now. It's a multiple item order, like 6 items so it might be some time before I get it.

Ozarklongshot
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I have a business acquaintance that inherited a 550. He asked if I was interested in it, I tried to hide my overwhelming joy. Then he told me it was in texas (no I aint sayin where) and it would be a while before he could pick it up. I so badly wanted to volunteer to drive down and pick it up along with anything else he needed picked up. I've wanted a second 550 for a couple years, I'm trying to not be a buzzard by finding joy in his loss. But seriously, it's a second 550 !!!

Grandpas50AE
03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
My best friend left me his 550b a few years ago when he passed away. His estate was not in great financial shape, so I ended up buying it form the estate, but that did get me the second 550b I had wanted to buy for some time. I'd rather have my buddy back and another 550b on back order, but life is what it is.