PDA

View Full Version : Rechambering .223 to .222

floydboy
03-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I know it can be done but can it be done without a lathe? If I understand the different cartridge relationships the .233 is basically the same as the .222 just longer. The barrel would have to be shortened. Then can the existing left over chamber be hand reamed with a .222 reamer to form the new chamber or is there too much metal that will have to be removed? I have read an article on the switchbarrel site where he shortens the barrels with a hacksaw and dresses them up with a file when the chamber needs to be shortened.

I am working with savage barrels and actions. Am I just asking for trouble? New barrels in the correct caliber are not cheap and I have found a couple .223 takeoff barrels I can use for little money. This is my first attempt at rechambering. Always done barrel swaps before. Used .222 barrels are not easy to find.

Thanks,,,,Floyd

ipopum
03-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Well yes it can be done but the question is what tools do you have and how handy are you with them.
If I was going to do this I would want to do a chamber cast to verify what was in the hole. After knowing the dimensions of the existing chamber you need to calculate how much needs to come off of the barrel in order to cut a new chamber. The 222 if I remember correctly has a slight taper to it and the 223 has less. In figuring the depth of the new chamber you need to figure how much deeper you need to go to compensate for any difference in taper. You also need to know if there are enough threads on the barrel in order to move it in to seat against the bolt. You already know about setting head space if you have done barrel swaps. Do you have access to a 222 reamer or will you rent one? I am not sure I would start this project with out using my lathe. The Reaming while not complected must be done with out getting an out of round chamber or one that does not line up with the bore. Both of these conditions will effect the finished product and how well it shoots. I would lean toward finding a machinist that might do it at a price you can afford. Sometimes an outlay at the beginning will pay big dividends down the road.
By all means let us know how the project goes.

floydboy
03-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Ipopum,

Thanks for the reply. By the measurements in my speer reloading manual the .223 is slightly narrower up toward the shoulder than the .222. All other measurements are about the same except for length. By my figuring the reamer would just be enlarging the chamber a small amount and lengthening the neck area. Hopefully it would be well supported to keep things straight. By using the savage barrel nut if I need to I can always cut it a little shorter if I need the extra room to catch the threads. Unless somebody tells me I'm a fool for trying I think I will give it a try in the near future.

Thanks,,,,Floyd

I'll Make Mine
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you'd gain by this -- .222 is much less common than .223, though possibly less affected by the current panic buying. The .222 isn't going to be more accurate in the same barrel than .223. Do you have a magazine too short to accept .223? Big invesment in .222 brass, dies, and lots of loading experience? Or just a need for a project?

floydboy
03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
I am going to build a dedicated cast gun in .222. I already have the molds for 22-250 so have the boolits. All I would need extra is the dies. Brass can be made from .223 if needed. Main problem I was trying to work around is the expense of a new barrel. .222 are fairly rare and rarer if in good shape. I want a 14 twist which is hard to find in .223 and had located one this weekend but it turned out to be in poor condition so probably won't find another one. Back to buying a new barrel or waiting on a used one so the whole endeveavor of rechambering is probably not going to happen. Yes part of the idea is just needing a new project and why .222 is it makes one of the best small caliber cast shooters. IMO.

Thanks to everyone for the help.....Floyd

nanuk
03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a fun project

using the SAAMI spec sheet for chambers, (and I may have made an error, I was just jumping back and forth, no hard copy to write on):

I would think you'll need to set the barrel back 0.1736" minimum just to be sure you have cleaned up the chamber body, but that would not clean up the neck, if there was a difference.

if the 223 was fatter in the neck, you'd have a step in the neck

222 shoulder to neck mouth, .4518
223 shoulder to neck mouth, .3382
you'd have a fresh neck of only 0.1136 if you ream only to the shoulder. most of the neck may not get cleaned up.

AND this is assuming a MINIMUM Chamber.

IF you have a Max 223 Chamber, and a Min 222 reamer, then you WILL have to go deeper to clean up the 223 neck
which would require a depth of 0.5118 at the minimum to do that. . (I'd plan for that right off the start)

That would also allow you to set up the throat any way you want.

again, assuming a Min 223 chamber and a Max 222 reamer.

So, from what I can gather, you'd have to remove over 1/2 inch of the breech, to get a clean chamber. I'm not sure if the Savage barrels have the threads for this....

Has anyone else ever done the number crunch to get from there to here?

floydboy
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
You have made a good point. I think the necks are supposed to be the same but if you had a max 223 and a minimum 222 you would have a stepped neck. I was only thinking of setting back the difference in the case length which is about what you figured at about .17. A half inch is just too much....Looking more and more like something I don't want to get into......

Willbird
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
You have made a good point. I think the necks are supposed to be the same but if you had a max 223 and a minimum 222 you would have a stepped neck. I was only thinking of setting back the difference in the case length which is about what you figured at about .17. A half inch is just too much....Looking more and more like something I don't want to get into......

1/2" is still no big deal really, worst case is that the threads would have to be picked up and recut a bit further, if it is a varmint profile they are pretty straight for the first 4"-6". I have a 223 take off savage barrel out in the shop (shot out) I can snap a pic of if you like, it has a nut on it too as I recall.

Not sure if you were going to rent a reamer or buy one, but Sharpshooter "only" gets 440 for a 222 barrel.

Bill

I'll Make Mine
03-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Well, if you're going to rechamber anyway, you might consider a .224 groove barrel blank from Green Mountain -- they sell "gunsmith specials" that need chambered, profiled, and threaded (and whatever else) starting around $50, and that's for brand new. You'll need a big enough lathe (or a friend who has one) to profile and thread, but you'll get to start the chamber from scratch and not have to worry about condition of the bore.

floydboy
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
This project has just got a little more serious. I had an extra 22 250 I shot cast in I was thinking of using for the donor action. Yesterday I took my wife out of town for a root canal of all things. While she was at the dentist I searched around town for reloading supplies, which are not to be found or way to expensive, and found my perfect donor. A Savage M110 in .223. The barrel have been shortened by a couple of inches so I got it reasonable. Haven't figured out the twist but I think it is faster than a 14. The barrel was so dirty I couldn't even guess from looking down it. The action is cut and has the mag box for a short cartridge like my 22 250. The bolt head is the correct size so I'm all good to go when I find a barrel. I've been looking for a .222 barrel for over a month now and haven't seen one anywhere. Are they really rare anymore or is it just another case of when I want something it's never around an as soon as I pay three prices for one they will be coming out of the woodwork?

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm trying to digest and research all the suggestions.

Floyd