PDA

View Full Version : Magazine fed bolt actions

NSP64
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Who makes detachable mag fed bolt action rifle with high capacity mags in .308? By high, I mean 10 round.
I knowalot of them make detachable box fed guns, but most are factory 3-5 round.
Or is anyone making mags to fit Savages and others?

Artful
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Savage and Remington both can be 20 rounders with kits from aftermarket companies like badger
Savage does make a factory version but you need deep pockets
Model: 10 FCP-SR
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/2binPeBrF_G57R2I8Tp.png

MSRP $1250.00

Personally I'd look at the Ruger Gunsite
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/images/6821.jpg

NSP64
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I saw a kit for 5& 10 rounders but no 20.

PTS
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/features.html
This is the closest thing that I know of but I don’t want to be the final authority.

bruce drake
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Mossberg is bringing out a MVP in 308 Win that uses AR10 Magazines. I read an article in Rifleshooter Magazine last month on their hunt in Canada with the rifle.

Artful
03-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Badger makes 5 & 10 round as does Accuracy International and Ruger
Kwik Klip makes 4 and 10 round
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/M14_Magazines.asp
Accuracy International also had a custom stock modified for the M-14 mags but pricey
and you can order thru Remington direct.

Love Life
03-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Mossberg is bringing out a MVP in 308 Win that uses AR10 Magazines. I read an article in Rifleshooter Magazine last month on their hunt in Canada with the rifle.

Interesting.

I am looking into the same avenue since the Socom II and Socom 16 are now made of pure gold. The sad part is I had been saving for one and would have had the pre panic price cash in January. Oh well.

Right now the Ruger GSR has my attention because it comes with irons. Too bad the price of those are going up as well.

Kull
03-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Model: 10 FCP-SR
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/610/2binPeBrF_G57R2I8Tp.png

MSRP $1250.00

That was the first one I thought of. Pretty sure it uses Accuracy International style mags.

Artful
03-03-2013, 01:46 AM

Interesting

flex MVP offered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTHzuZu0HHw#!

At SHOT Show 2012, Mossberg rolled out its revolutionary Flex shotgun, which allowed shooters to swap out stocks, forends and recoil pads to create a completely customizable shotgun. Now, the system has been applied to the company’s MVP series, creating the Mossberg MVP Flex. A bolt-action rifle accepting AR mags is unique in itself, but the Flex system takes it a step further, making the MVP Flex customizable through interchangeable stocks, as well as the rifle’s adjustable Lightning Bolt Action trigger. The MVP Flex sports a compact barrel and is chambered in .223. The MVP Flex will be available during the second quarter of 2013 with a price point under $900. Check out the video straight from SHOT Show.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/01/22/introducing-the-mossberg-mvp-flex/#ixzz2MS9oQrQO
MVP PATROL 7.62 NATO (.308 Win.)

Due out summer 2013
Twist – 1:10
Standard MVP features
Comination scope option, 3-9x32mm variable with illuminated reticle
Rifle sights – adjustable rear with fiber optic front site
MSRP – TBA

bruce drake
03-03-2013, 02:51 AM
If they offered a single-stage trigger legal for NRA Highpower Matches, I'd be first in line for one of the MVPs as well. I'd buy both calibers as well so I'd have both the 223 and the 308 versions.

Bruce

BruceB
03-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Although I hate to be "practical", I'll post a vote for the Lee Enfield #5 Mk1 "Jungle Carbine". From extensive field use of this rifle, I can state that it is a VERY efficient mag-fed bolt action. (I have a Ruger Gunsite rifle, and it's a dandy...but twice the price of an excellent-condition #5.) The .303 is easily the equal of the .308 for all reasonable purposes.

The #5 magazine is not terribly secure in holding cartridges when out of the rifle, but it will suffice for vehicle carry if not abused/dropped etc. A few loaded 5-round chargers are better...IF the user does some practice in loading the rifle.

The iron sights are excellent just as issued. Scope mounts are available, if you simply MUST have glass on the rifle.

My first reaction to the Ruger GSR when it was announced, was "Aha! A latter-day #5 Mk1!" I have not changed my opinion.

P.K.
03-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Although I hate to be "practical", I'll post a vote for the Lee Enfield #5 Mk1 "Jungle Carbine". From extensive field use of this rifle, I can state that it is a VERY efficient mag-fed bolt action. (I have a Ruger Gunsite rifle, and it's a dandy...but twice the price of an excellent-condition #5.) The .303 is easily the equal of the .308 for all reasonable purposes.

The #5 magazine is not terribly secure in holding cartridges when out of the rifle, but it will suffice for vehicle carry if not abused/dropped etc. A few loaded 5-round chargers are better...IF the user does some practice in loading the rifle.

The iron sights are excellent just as issued. Scope mounts are available, if you simply MUST have glass on the rifle.

My first reaction to the Ruger GSR when it was announced, was "Aha! A latter-day #5 Mk1!" I have not changed my opinion.

Great post Bruce, I was reading through and wondering when a comparison would be drawn. I have a new long gun on the way but the "fund" is in place for one of those ( at least in my AO) elusive "Jungle Carbines." ;-)

BruceB
03-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Running a quick check on Gunbroker, I found quite a few #5 rifles up for bids.

It looks like +/- $500 will buy a good #5, and that's pretty reasonable for the quality received.

Even as a southpaw, I REALLY like the #5. (My Ruger GSR is left-handed, but it's still a #5 in civilian clothes as far as function goes.)

Combat Diver
03-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Wasn't the Steyr Scout have large detachable 10 rd mags besides the 5 rder?

CD

03-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Ishapor Enfield -- 12 round detachable mag, original chambering was .308 NATO

Artful
03-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Lets see the canadian's are looking to replace their Enfields as parts are becoming scare and ammo is not general issue
- don't know if that's really an issue as a civilian with one gun you can probably get enough parts to keep one going.
- I have a No 4 Mk 2 and love it - but I wouldn't mind a magazine feed 308
- Same issue with Ishapor Enfield - parts availability - darn magazines are sixty bucks for after market that are iffy.
- heck company in Aussie land was having SMLE's made in 7.62x39 and 308 made but you can't import due to workers being in Vietnam.

BruceB
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Artful;2091744]Lets see the Canadians are looking to replace their Enfields QUOTE

The #4 Rifle has not been general-issue in the Canadian Army since the mid-1950s, when it was replaced with the C1/C1A1 (FN-FAL of domestic manufacture.

The only "active-service" use of the #4 is in the hands of a few hundred native "Rangers" in remote areas, and these are the rifles now slated for replacement by something a bit more modern.

Artful
03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Did I say "ARMY"? - and as far as I know the canadian army has replace C1/C1A1 with their 223 C6/C7's.

they still are using 308/7.62x51 in the C6 GPMG

W.R.Buchanan
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I put Ruger onto the Canadian Ranger refit nearly two years ago. The whole buy is on hold due the Canucks wanting the gun to be made in Canada. They actually asked all of the bidders to allow Canadian companies to just manufacture their proprietary designs, like a licensing agreement. Nobody took them up on the deal.

The GSR is probably the most popular Mag fed bolt action out there, and it is interesting how other companies are just now coming out with their "comparable" rifles.

Part of this is to get around any AW laws that could be passed but the real reason is because Ruger has had so much success with the design that others had to follow to keep up with the jones'.

I really like mine and it is among the 5 most favorite guns I have ever owned.

You can read all about it in the Ruger Gunsite thread.

Randy

NSP64
03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Well, What I was wanting was a rifle that would be a dedicated sub-sonic gun.

W.R.Buchanan
03-03-2013, 05:12 PM
The Ruger would work well for you in that regard. Also since the barrel is already threaded 5/8-24 for the Flash Hider it is set up for a suppressor by just removing the flash hider.

The 16" bbl is not going to make any difference with subsonic loads. it does knock off about 150-200 fps on the top end. However, I shoot Long Range Silhouette with mine and the Bullets go 500 meters just fine. I could hit the 500 meter Rams easily with every shot off a rest.

A man sized target at 800 yards with the correct drop wound into the scope, could be easily done.

To get this kind of versitility you really need to use a 3x9 or 4x12 scope on the gun, but so far I have shot mine with only a 1.5-5x Leupold at the silhouette game. I am in the process of mounting a Leupold VX-R 3x9 MIL/MIL on top of a full length XS Rail with the peep sight in the rail. This will give me the ability to change optics without having to rezero the gun everytime. For hunting in low light condidtions I would not hesitate to put a red dot sight on this gun. Once again, good to 300 yards.

Randy

I'll Make Mine
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
There's a new replacement stock just entering the market that fits a Mosin Nagant action/barrel and has its own carrier for a 10- or 20-round detachable magazine; a Mosin, accuracy tuning, and this stock plus a couple mags will cost less than anything I've seen listed (except possibly the #5 Mk. 1 Jungle Carbine). With handloads, a good Mosin is capable of sniper accuracy...

Artful
03-03-2013, 08:11 PM
are you refering to the archangel stock & magazine system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oapv0tEq1kc

5 and 10 round magazine - free floated channel - steel pillar bedding

Combat Diver
03-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Interesting stock.

CD

NSP64
03-03-2013, 10:42 PM
coooooool

NSP64
03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I was wondering if I got a Savage axis in 308, then slapped in a 30-06 mag, I could load them boolits long?
I guess it would depend on the chamber, throat , leade and how well the bore riding nose fits.

I'll Make Mine
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
are you refering to the archangel stock & magazine system?

5 and 10 round magazine - free floated channel - steel pillar bedding

Yep, that's what I was thinking of, though I would have sworn the video I saw mentioned they were working on a 20 round mag, nearly ready to sell. Ten rounds in a detachable is probably plenty for a bolt gun, though.

8mm
03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I purchased a #5 Jungle Carbine a couple of years ago. It is in the high 90% range as to condition, came with 3 extra magazines, 60+ rnds. of Norma brass, 40 loaded rounds, and a set of Lyman dies. At the time I thought the price was steep but the little voice spoke to me and said "do it"! Now, no regrets at all. I did my homework after the purchase and learned that I had done very well indeed. It is a wonderful cast bullet shooter (Ly 314299). It is definitely a rifle for present times. While I would like to purchase a Ruger GSR, they are essentially not available in my region, and accordingly are priced well beyond my reach (supply vs. demand). Meanwhile, the #5 JC is more than good enough.

W.R.Buchanan
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
8MM: try "Williams Gunshop Auburn" in Auburn Michigan for your GSR. I got mine from them right when they first came out. 989-239-3030 talk to Kevin.

The gun was $750+ $30 shipping to my FFL in CA. Wholesale price on these guns is $652 so you can use that as a reference when shopping around. $750 is about as low as you're going to see as the gun shop has to make something. Normal street prices are around $850 in retail outlets. You really need to shop around a little and you can find good deals on anything,,, Even now. Except for AR stuff!

If you are looking at doing the Mosin-Nagant route you really need to look around for a Finnish made Mosin. They are easily recoginized by the screw adjusted front sight. The only thing Russian on them is the receiver, the rest is Finnish as they were re-built from captured Russian guns from WWI. They are a serious cut above the Russian made guns mainly due to the really nice Finnish made barrels .

Mosin's were also made for the Russians by Remington and Savage and have either an R or S in the serial number.

Even though these guns shoot a cartridge that is comparable to the .303 or .30-40 Krag they are still capible of excellent accuracy, and even though these cartridges are all considered "obsolete" I would not volunteer to be shot at by one.

I get a kick out of people that ask why I would shoot an obsolete cartridge when there are so many better cartridges out there.

My standard retort is "are those new cartridges going to do what I need any better?" When you consider how many things these older rounds have accomplished it is hard to say that the new stuff will do it any better or kill anything any deader. I would bet that a half a billion people have been killed by Mosin-Nagants over the last 125 years not to mention all of the game animals killed for food. How much more proof do we need.

Jack O'Connor once wrote a story in Outdoor Life Magazine called "New cartridges are like new jokes" the whole point was that even though the names have been changed the results are still the same. This was in 1962 and things really haven't changed very much since then.

Funny thing is all of this will be true in 100 or 200 or 500 years as much as it is today. All you have to do is look at a Flintlock, surprisingly they still work just as well as they did 400 years ago.

Randy

BruceB
03-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Here's a "second" to Randy's recommendation of the Williams Gun Shop.

I bought my Ruger #1 in .303 from them some time ago, and it was a highly-satisfactory transaction.

Deal with confidence, and expect a fair price.

I'll Make Mine
03-05-2013, 10:36 PM
All you have to do is look at a Flintlock, surprisingly they still work just as well as they did 400 years ago.

Actually, they work better now than they did in the 17th century. We have better steel and more knowledge of how to make even a flintlock more accurate, harder hitting, and more durable than was dreamed possible in Robinson Crusoe's day.

IMO, there's a good reason the Mosin Nagant is still in military service in a few countries, and its 7.62x54R round still in production for current rifles, more than 120 years after introduction: it hasn't needed much fixing. The mil-surp rounds I have on hand would work just as well in a Model 1891 Mosin as they do in a modern PSL or Dragunov; they've got the power to reach out, or to punch through, and (in a well maintained rifle wielded by a skilled shooter) the accuracy to make either worth doing.

dmytro
03-11-2013, 06:00 AM
I held a 308 Savage in my hands that had AI magazines. It was very heavy compared to Ruger Scout. I really like Ruger Scout, my only small concern with it is that the magazine does not let the rounds slide under the extractor the way this bolt was designed to operate. Then again Savage is push feed anyway.

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
dmytro: The action runs just exactly like a CRF. However it will also feed off the top of the magazine like a push feed does. It works similar to a Springfield. A Springfield is CRF from the magaizne but will feed off the top of the magazine also and this is the reason they have a mag cut off. The extractor will snap over the chambered cartridge rim. A Mauser won't, it MUST feed the round from the magazine as the extractor is not flexible enough to snap over the rim of a chambered cartridge.

There was an article in AR when the gun first came out that mistakenly told everyone this was a push feed action. The guy was wrong!

Randy

dmytro
03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
dmytro: The action runs just exactly like a CRF. However it will also feed off the top of the magazine like a push feed does. It works similar to a Springfield. A Springfield is CRF from the magaizne but will feed off the top of the magazine also and this is the reason they have a mag cut off. The extractor will snap over the chambered cartridge rim. A Mauser won't, it MUST feed the round from the magazine as the extractor is not flexible enough to snap over the rim of a chambered cartridge.

There was an article in AR when the gun first came out that mistakenly told everyone this was a push feed action. The guy was wrong!

Randy

Have you actually tested it with your rifle? My Ruger Scout using Ruger branded steel magazine does NOT feed like a CRF even though the bolt is exactly the same as on CRF Rugers. When the round comes out of the magazine it pops in front of the extractor. I was not surprised because this was documented online in many places, and it is exactly how my rifle behaves. Mine is not CRF until the bolt closed far enough for the extractor to hop over the rim.

W.R.Buchanan
03-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Dmytro: After all of this, I had to go back and look at mine again. It actually caught 2 out of 10 rounds I fed it from the steel 10 rnd mag. The polymer mags didn't feed any that caught under the extractor. This is when running the bolt smoothly but not fast, with the gun upright.

If you run the bolt fairly fast (not as fast as you can go) it will pick up the cases in CRF fashion and you can tell because you don't feel the extractor snapover the rim when the bolt hits it's forward stop, and if you don't turn the bolt down you can pull the round back out of the chamber and it is on the bolt face. This means that cartridge got picked up CRF.

However it doesn't do it everytime! Sometimes you do feel the extractor snap over the rim when the bolt runs all the way forward, indicating that that round did not CRF. Seems like it is at the mercy of how the magazine releases the round.

It seems like it is about half and half.

I guess that's why Gunsite teaches "running the bolt smartly."

The big deal on CRF is the fact that the gun will feed the rounds when held upside down. This was a desirable feature if you were laying on your back in a muddy trench with the gun on your chest. The Springfield will do this also, but it will also feed push style when the mag cutoff is engaged. IE: it will do both. The Mauser will only feed from the magazine as the extractor is too stiff to snap over a chambered cartridge.

It appears that the Ruger will do both too, although not for the same reasons.

Mine will CRF every round when upside down and this is with moving the bolt not very fast at all. I think gravity is having a positive effect in this position. This was proven by not running the bolt all the way forward and then coming out with the round under the extractor to eject normally.

It won't pick up any with the gun held sideways.

Try the upside down position with yours and see if you can duplicate what I found. Try to run the bolt slow enough so that you don't hit the forward stop and if the cartridge comes out when you open it then it had to have been caught buy the extractor on the way in.

If you haven't done so already, you need to load 5 or so dummy rounds so you don't blow anyone up when playing with the gun. You have to get it into some odd positions and you can't guarantee it won't go off unless it isn't loaded with live rounds in the first place.

Let me know how your tests go.

Learning more about this gun everyday.

Randy

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I really like the idea , but in my mind i keep thinking , rimmed cartridge like 303 if some one wanted to make a 30-30 or something on the same head i think it would be great 35-30 comes to mind as something i would like to see
It isn't likely to happen if I don't build it

so that takes me back to 303 , i just need to talk my uncle out of great grandpas enfield , they cut the barrel a long time ago trying to sporterize it and haven't shot it since as it spits bullets sideways at 50 yards

I am also on the look out for a savage 340 or 325 in 30-30 if i see one locally, but wish they had larger mags

i like the idea of rimmed so i can run mouse fart to full hunting load and not have to worry about setting back the shoulder on the brass

I shoot more 30-30 loaded with a charge of pistol powder to get me to 13-1400 fps or so with no gas check , they are just plane fun , and no problem to ring steel with at 100 my range only goes to 100m so why bother stoking the round to get farther when all i want to do is have fun.