PDA

View Full Version : 45Slim 155 gr SWC order going in soon

Springfield
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I shall have the spec sheet in hand this week so I plan on ordering this mould next week. I have waited over a month and I have all the checks I think I am going to get(5) so no point in delaying any longer. If ya still want in now is the time. 65.00 shipped for each mould wanted. Looks like I'm eating the set up cost.

Aaron
10-07-2007, 03:37 PM
How well do you think this will run through a levergun?

Thanks

Ricochet
10-07-2007, 04:01 PM
It's interesting, but I'm happy with the Lee 452-160-RF. And it's perfect for the Colt Walker replica I have, because of the stepped off base that's like a very short gas check heel, not an angled bevel. Lets it center in the chamber mouths for seating.

Springfield
10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
I designed this bullet so that the nose length will work with length sensitive guns, like the toggle action Winchester/Uberti's. It should feed as good as any SWC, The lip is pretty small. May not be as good as a RNFP but I couldn't get the weight down with that configuration. The LEE 452-160 for example has a VERY short nose, no way that would work in my '66 or '73. Plus this is a Big Lube(tm) bullet so it will should better than any of the smaller lube groove bullets when using Black Powder. So what do you mean by a stepped off base? I have a 2 cavity of the LEE 452-160 but I'm pretty sure all the driving bands are the same size. I have a couple Dragoons I could use some good bullets for. Balls are OK but I wouldn't mind upping the weight a bit.

Ricochet
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Look closely at that Lee bullet. It looks almost like a bevel base, but in actuality the "bevel" is a very short cylinder of smaller diameter than the rear band just in front of it. It will sit nicely in the chambers of my Walker so I can line the bullets up straight for the rammer. Doesn't give much to hold them there, though, so I can't let lead shavings, grease and such build up in the loading port.

Yeah, the protruding nose is pretty short if seated to the front of the crimp groove. Works to seat it to the rear of the crimp groove (front of the rear band) and taper crimp it, which gives a profile comparable to "hardball" in the .45 ACP. Increases the powder space in the case, which may lower velocities and pressures for given loads worked up with normal seating depth.