PDA

View Full Version : Way to much fun

Boz330
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Just spent the morning and part of the afternoon going through an FAA records inspection. They called yesterday afternoon at 4:00PM to let me know they were coming. Late night last night and an early morning as well. The one guy went through work orders and checklist untill he found a mistake, and then he was happy and quit. After that it was on to inventory and calibrated tools, OK there. After it was all said and done they got me on one manual out of date and a fire extingisher out of date. The manual can be a problem but as it turned out the update was nothing major and since it was available online they didn't ding me to bad.
As they were leaving they complimented me for having a pretty squared away shop compared to some they look at. Whew, glad that is over for awhile. I think that I deserve a Sundowner.:drinks:

Bob

SharpsShooter
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Boz,

How often do ya have to endure that fun-filled day? I am familiar with the 100 hour inspections my instructor had to have done on the aircraft but know nothing about actual A&P facility regs.

SS

Boz330
08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
My repair station works on hot air balloons so I do a lot of annual inspections. If I were an IA it would be easier because I wouldn't have to keep near as much paperwork or be under near as much scrutiny. But to answer your question they are supposed to do 2 a year, one scheduled inspection and one surprize inspection. On the latter they can't disrupt your business just look around. I am pretty lucky in as much as I've got a pretty good rep with them and they haven't caught me screwing up. The last inspection I had was 2 1/2 years ago. We have a UPS Air hub here and the Feds are short handed so they tend to leave me alone. Ther is another station that is my competition and they got caught in a really bad screw up and they just hound those poor guys. Also I'm off the beaten path but those guys are right under their noses.
The local guys are pretty good, it is the commandments that come from on high that give me fits. For a guy that hates paperwork I sure picked the wrong business. But the nuts and bolts of the job, I love. I don't go to work every day hating to be there, and there is a lot to be said for that.

Bob

SharpsShooter
08-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Boz

Thanks for the info. I always enjoy learning anything about my other passion (avation).

SS

Nueces
08-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey, Boz, every aviator appreciates guys like you who keep the birds safe.

Salud, Mark

Banana
08-09-2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah, I appreciates you keeping the birds safe.You are a great person for nuture.

dakotashooter2
08-13-2007, 04:35 PM
It would be interesting to audit/inspect federal agencies such as this to see if their "stuff" is in order. Would bet in 9 times out of 10 it ISN'T.