PDA

View Full Version : Carbide die question

MOcaster
03-02-2013, 06:24 PM
I've been reloading for about a year now and want to get some more dies. I have dies for the calibers I shoot but I want to have all that I can get. One way that I plan on getting more is gun shows. That bad thing is, sometimes dies don't come in their original box. How can I tell if a set of dies (the sizer) are carbide or steel?

Thanks,
MOcaster

km101
03-02-2013, 06:33 PM
On RCBS dies, and most others, the carbide in the sizer die is an insert. Look at the bottom of the die and you will see a darker ring on the inside. This is the carbide insert. If there is no dark ring it is probably a steel die.

ultramag
03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
To spot from a distance unless its changed RCBS carbide dies come in a light grey colored box instead of the usual green.

.22-10-45
03-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Hello, Mocaster..just a heads up on those gun show bargans..I would take a lighted magnifier along..some of those dies might have been set too low & whacked by shellholder..not uncommon for carbide ring to be cracked.

Dennis Eugene
03-03-2013, 01:18 AM
While it's true that the newer RCBS sets are in a gray box, I have plenty of carbide dies that came in the green boxes before they changed to gray. Dennis

Doc Highwall
03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I just looked to confirm it that my RCBS carbide dies have CARB marked on the top of the die along with the caliber.

1hole
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Carbide is for straight wall cases and all it amounts to is a thick 'washer' set in the mouth of the die. Look at the bottom of the die to see if there's a different color around the cavity. If you're still not sure, look inside the sizer mouth; steel dies have are an easily seen cylinder all the way up the cavity.

DLCTEX
03-04-2013, 08:48 PM
My carbide dies have a lighter, shinier ring. These are, of course for straight wall cases. I think bottleneck cases that are carbide would cost enough you would discern the difference by price.

Rusty Goose
03-05-2013, 09:52 PM
My RCBS dies say carb on the top, not sue on my Lees.

jakharath
03-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Look for the insert 'ring' on the bottom of the sizer/decapper dies. RCBS can have CARB or CARBO stamped on the dies. I don't beleive Lee dies are marked. Dillon makes carbide 223 and 308 dies (although they still need lubing).