PDA

View Full Version : S&W 14-3 information request

DRNurse1
03-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I posted this in Out Town first. I had not noticed this thread before. I purchased a 14-3 for the DR matches recently and noticed an oddity on the barrel. The barrel is labeled "MITH & WESSON" rather than Smith & Wesson. Any information on this and primary sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and help.

DRNurse1

rintinglen
03-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Mine is clearly marked "SMITH & WESSON" on the left side of the barrel, with the ornate S&W logo on the left side of the frame under the cylinder latch and "Made in the U.S.A. MARCAS REGISTRADAS SMITH & WESSON SPINGFIELD MASS." on the right side of the frame. I can only suppose someone had an off day on the stamping machine.

Stephen Cohen
03-02-2013, 10:40 PM
could the barrel have been shortened, this would explain the missing S.

GLL
03-02-2013, 11:02 PM
The "SMITH & WESSON" is put on with a roll die. It may not have been indexed properly and thereby produced the missing "S".

Jerry

DRNurse1
03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Thank you for this insight, folks. The barrel is the original length, but that was a good suggestion based on my limited information. I did not know about the roll stamp process. This stamp looks pretty deep for that but it is possible if that indexing issue is correct. Does this sort of thing happen often? It does not appear to affect the accuracy of this barrel (however I greatly affect the accuracy of this gun).

The "SMITH & WESSON" is put on with a roll die. It may not have been indexed properly and thereby produced the missing "S".

Jerry