PDA

View Full Version : Oboy! I have done it now!

Dale53
08-08-2007, 11:46 AM
A "friend" asked me to make a "buying run" with him yesterday. Paul is always fun to run around with. He runs around the Tri-county area (Cincinnati Area) looking for good gun buys that he can sell at local gun shows. We also have a common interest in computers, photos, etc.

At any rate, we were in the local (Cincinnati) Bass Pro. They have a pretty good gun store there and we know several of the clerks.

Paul was just generally looking for something on sale, etc. I was just kind of half paying attention. Suddenly, I noticed a new S&W "Jerry Miculek Special" (Miculek is pronounced Mish-u-lek). Jerry is the fastest man with a revolver of all time and a S&W Professional.

This particular revolver is a 625 JM (Stainless steel, 4" full underlug barrel, .45 ACP & Auto Rim, Special JM signature grips and a HIGH list price). However, they had it priced rather favorably (I suspect it had been there a while). Well, I discussed the price with the manager and we came to an agreement (they also had an extra 10% off the top if I would take out a new credit card - in other words, they paid me to charge it on THEIR credit card. Since I pay my credit cards off fully each month and carry zero balance there were no hidden costs. The call was made to the Feds and I took it home (Bass Pro clerk has to walk you to the door when you make a gun purchase. You get the gun at the exit door. It seems a rather inconsiderate feller bought a new gun with ammo, loaded the gun up right in the store and shot himself dead (true story but it happened elsewhere - not Cincinnati).

I was going to the range this morning but slept a bit late and it is going to be 99 degrees today with very high humidity. I'll pass for a couple of days.

These revolvers have gotten mixed reviews. There have been several different configurations. This is the latest (first offered in 2004:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14751&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15706&isFirearm=Y

Some seem to shoot VERY well and some don't. I measured the cylinder throats and all seems well (some of the older 625's had very loose throats -even up to .456" if you can believe it). Mine are correct - .451". Now, if it has a good barrel, it should shoot to my expectations. Keep your fingers crossed!

Sorry for rambling on, but I am rather happy with my purchase (so far[smilie=1:).

Dale53

Nueces
08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Nice score, Dale! I have the 5-inch HB version and the 4-inch Mountain Gun, but I think the 4-inch HB is the best balanced one. I'll watch for your range report.

Mark

9.3X62AL
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Dale, ya did good. My last 45 ACP revo left here almost 20 years ago, and ranks among the stupidest of dispositions or passes I've made.

SharpsShooter
08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Very Nice Dale! I'm green with envy:mrgreen: I see the model 25's occasionally, but it usually occurs after a recent major car repair or home project that has depleted my funds.

Someday huh?

Enjoy that thing

SS

MGySgt
08-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I sure enjoy my 625 5 in with the RCBS 45 230 cm in front of a HEALTHY charge of Unique.

With full moon clips I can burn up more ammo in it than I can in an auto - Don't have to pick up brass.

I bought the de-mooner and re-mooner from Dillion and can empty and refill moon clips real quick.

Enoy it.

Drew

Drew

JSH
08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
I wish you the best with your new find.
I myself found my new 625-8 to be less than satisfactory. Why in the world would they put a target trigger on a combat gun? I would guess 100 rounds would give a nice blister if shot in DA. I swear the previous ones I had fooled with had a combat type trigger. Oh well nothing that can't be fixed.
If your DA and SA mode seem kind of gritty, I suggest a complete teard down and through cleaning is in line. I thought it may just be that it was stainless. I finally tore mine down and found metal shavings and filings from internal machining.
The front sight would actually rattle when you shake the gun. Fixed that after getting the roll pin out and lengthening the spring.
Wood to metal finish was not the best either. Transformation from the round part of the grip to the wood left a sharp edge. Have that fixed for the most part, but, it should never have left the factory that way.
I guess maybe I should realize what year I am in and not try to live in the past when craftsmen took pride in what they did. Let me rephrase that, when we still had craftsmen that worked in that line of work.
I am going to have get me a remooner I can see now. I am afraid I am going to ruin some moon clips if I don't. BTW gents I believe Brownells is a bit cheaper than Dillon is on them.
Jeff

Dale53
08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
To all;
Thanks for the good wishes!

JSH:
I believe that I actually prefer the smooth trigger for double action, myself. However, Jerry Michulek prefers the grooved trigger and this IS his signature gun, so I guess that is why the trigger is grooved.

I WILL go inside and wash the debris out (actually, I have seen that from time to time since the old days - I'm old enough to say that with authority:mrgreen: ). I have tuned up many an S&W in the past. However, I went through a phase when I did a LOT of shooting with the local policemen on the PPC course. That experience showed me that there is no substitute for actually doing a LOT of double action shooting if you want to be good with double action. No amount of "tuning" replaces actually shooting in double action. Even tho' it has been years since I have competed in PPC, I still have most of the muscle memory for that activity. I intend to re-awaken that little skill:Fire: .

Right now I am looking at a scope base to put a red dot on it (that Ol' Debbil age and vision problems, ya know!) I am NOT complaining, just thanking the good Lord for Red Dots:mrgreen: .

Dale53

Bret4207
08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Sweet. If only it was blue.

Dale, everytime you make a post or I read one of your articles I get the desire to be your devoted protoge (sp). To be frank, I get insanely jealous!

Dale53
08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Bret;
Thank you, I think:roll: .

Some time ago, a local person was examining my modest collection and he wondered how in the devil I was able to amass "all" of those guns. It is really very simple. I started young and have worked on it for a life time. It has been truly satisfying and I still get the same "little kid" feeling when I bring home another nice piece. I wouldn't grow up for the world. Being a kid is SO much more fun:drinks: :drinks:

It is killing me to stay inside but it is just too dern hot to go outdoors. The humidity must be like Louisiana and the temps will hit 100 again today (103 yesterday). We have had a heat alert for several days.

"Guns of August" will start tomorrow and I am going to be there VERY early and then leave early because of the heat. For those that don't live in this area (SW Ohio) it is a large Cowboy Match and extravaganza. I haven't been there for a couple of years but the last time they had 360 registered competitors. It is always a good show and sometimes there are some good buys from the vendors.

Dale53

Bret4207
08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes Dale. That was a compliment. You are one of those guys who seems to run in the circles I only dream of. Keep it up. If I can't do it, at least I can know a nice guy can report in on what it's like.

rugerdude
08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
It is killing me to stay inside but it is just too dern hot to go outdoors. The humidity must be like Louisiana and the temps will hit 100 again today (103 yesterday). We have had a heat alert for several days.

I know exactly how you feel! We have broken heat records the last four days running here. :shock: I want to get out to my range and try out some new loads that I worked up, but its hard to concentrate on the front sight with sweat in your eyes! :(

MT Gianni
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Dale, if you ever need to sell it remember that my real initials are JM. Gianni.

Dale53
08-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks, good people! I'll keep all of your comments in mind.

I think that I am going to enjoy that little piece as soon as the weather moderates (supposed to be hot for at least another week). Our range does not permit shooting before 9:00 A.M. for the benefit of our neighbors. Otherwise, I would be out there at daylight and then go home and have a nap in air conditioned comfort.

I just may try it at opening time in a day or so. Maybe I can stand it for a couple of hours.

Dale53

Bret4207
08-10-2007, 06:04 AM
We farmers up in the NE could use about 3 weeks of straight hot.dry weather. Maybe 2 weeks would do it, but I'm pretty slow so I'll ask for 3 weeks. No record hot weather either. Folks were wearing swetshirts till last week. Global warming my Aunt Minnie!

EMC45
08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
45 ACP revolver? I had a nice 1917 S&W years ago when I was more interested in autos then revolvers. I also didn't reload either. It was in an honest 80+% condition. I took it to a local shop in Ms. and they gladly did some swapping with me. I bet they didn't mind one bit. It sure was nice and I kick myself for doing what I did.

Dale53
08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
First report with the S&W Jerry Miculek Special revolver (.45 ACP).

Well, I took the bit in my teeth and was at the range when shooting time started (9:00 A.M.). The weather was more moderate than it has been (supposed to be a high of 93 today - a regular cold wave:roll: .

I have been shooting up my .45 ACP's (had a couple thousand loaded) and am down to just a few boxes.

I grabbed a box of target loads (3.8 grs of 230P {that tells you how long they have been loaded[smilie=1: } with Speer swaged 200 gr SWC). I have a bunch of cast bullets on hand but the Speers had come in a deal and I needed to shoot them up.

I have been reading a bunch of negative comments about recent editions of S&W revolvers. The "new" barrels won't shoot, etc. Some of those bad comments have come from people that I respect (not just some "Internet Johnny"). So, while I still kept the faith, I was a bit concerned.

The Ransom Rest was in use and I decided to just shoot "standing".

The first ten shots out of the revolver (without adjusting the sights one bit) had the first two shots showing me that the gun was sighted "dead on point of aim" with the load I was using. Hm-m-m.
I ended up with a 91 for the first target (25 yards, timed fire target). The seond target was a 96 with six "X's" all in a bunch. It is obvious that "This dog hunts!":drinks: Every shot out of the "X" ring was a called shot. As the offhand Schuetzen shooters say, "The revolver is right on call". It is kind of interesting that a "random load" shoots so well. Maybe a good load is a good load, huh? This was with the excellent set of iron sights (removable gold bead front sight and standard S&W rear) with a "blind man" shooting. My computer glasses were a big help:mrgreen: I have a B-Square Weaver scope base ordered. I will be installing a Red Dot sight (I still have one of the Bushnell's left).

The Jerry Miculek grips don't do much for me. That is not surprising. I'm certainly not JM. They, even with these light target loads, rapped the base of my thumb. Since every revolver that I have does this with wood grips it was really no surprise. I'll just have to hang a set of Pachmayrs on this piece. Shooting the way it does, it has found a home. With me, looks are absolutely secondary - PERFORMANCE FIRST!!

I was using .45acp cases and the full moon clips that came with the revolver. The steel clips are REALLY hard to unload (loading the clips are bad enough, but unloading them is a BEAR)! I guess I know why they sell tools for this purpose. I ordered a set of RIMZ polymer clips (15 for $20.00 delivered). They are supposed to be real easy to use on the range. I'll report when I get them (it will take a couple of weeks as they are covered over with orders). I could just order a bunch of Auto Rim cases but I have thousands of empty .45 ACP's (left over from my years in IPSC) so will forego the auto rim cases for now. Serious use for a speed reload will call for the steel full moon clips (I am SURE that they will be more secure).

I didn't want to cripple my hand, so I temporarily retired it (until I get some rubber grips on it) and shot my S&W .32 H&R. Then it started to heat up (the weather) and I packed up and went home.

I will tell you this, for a first effort it was stellar. I believe that this revolver is a real shooter (watching the "X's" bunch up was a VERY positive thing)[smilie=1: . Of course, I will make use of the Ransom Rest in days to come as I develop a load for various purposes, but for now I have a BIG smile on my face. Don't you just LOVE it when things work out?:drinks:

Dale53

45nut
08-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I look forward to the report with the Rimz and thank you for this one. Happy you got a good example. :drinks:

Dale53
08-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks, .45nut. I love my 1911's but deep down, I am a revolver man...

Dale53

MGySgt
08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Dale - until you get a demooner, take a small flat bladed screw driver and put it between 2 of the cases and pry one out. You can go around the moon clip real fast and get all but one out this way.

Some where along the way I bought a steel tool that does the same thing, except it has a hook on the one end that you can use to pry the case out with. I used this for years and never damaged a moon clip.

Doesn't work as quick as the demooner, but it sure beats takeing them out the other way!

Drew

Four Fingers of Death
08-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I sure enjoy my 625 5 in with the RCBS 45 230 cm in front of a HEALTHY charge of Unique.

With full moon clips I can burn up more ammo in it than I can in an auto - Don't have to pick up brass.

I bought the de-mooner and re-mooner from Dillion and can empty and refill moon clips real quick.

Enoy it.

Drew

Drew

The only mooning I've ever done was with friends out of buses and army trucks many uears ago :D