PDA

View Full Version : Can large pistol magnum primers be used for rifle cast loads

lak
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM
The title kinda says it all. Cast load generally have lower pressures. Anyone have any comment or experience on this subject please chime in. Seems that I have an abundance of large pistol primers both standard and magnum. My 445 likes full loads of 1680 using magnum primer with no problems. So can Magnum pistolprimers be used in rifle loads.....Lak

texassako
03-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Large pistol primers are not the same size as large rifle, but I have used non-magnum primers a few times in some light rifle loads with Unique.

Dan Cash
03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, large pistol primers can be used with rifle loads and, at least with black powder, are preferred by some. Since the pistol primer is not as tall as the rifle primer, it sets back and smacks the breach face upon firing. With BP loads, this will eventually peen or dent the breach face. This is overcome by using a paper wad in the primer pocked under the primer or by swaging the brass to create a pistol primer pocket. I do not know at what pressure one starts to experience primer flow problems or if they will develop. With some slow burning propellants, one may have difficulty igniting them with subsequent hang fire events or other, more hazardous distractions.

lylejb
03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
I have used std. LP primers in 30-30 and 30-06 lite loads, as in 10gr unique, with no problems.

I wouldn't recommend pistol primers in high pressure rifle loads with slow powder, however.

stubshaft
03-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I haven't had any problems using Pistol Primers in my low to mid cast loads. In fact, I have gotten much better accuracy in some calibers by using pistol primers. The 22 Hornet and 7.62X39 sub sonic for instance.

BruceB
03-02-2013, 07:27 PM
AS USUAL, "Search" is our friend.

DO a search for "substituting primers" and on Page Two of the results is a 5-page thread starting on 12/18/06. Many factors are addressed in that thread.

lak
03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys. I figured someone had asked this question before!!!