PDA

View Full Version : Where to get....

jonk
08-08-2007, 07:38 AM
......a rather odd roundball mold? I have a smoothbore flintlock that my dad put together with an original barrel. We had a smith look at it and proof tested it using slugs cast IN the tip of the barrel, so all is good despite the 150 year old tube- but now need a source for, get this, .63 cal balls.

Seems to me I found a sight where the guy would make custom round ball molds very cheaply- far cheaper than a custom profile mold from Lee or whomever. But of course, that was on the old computer and I can't find it. Bullshop says he can do it, but will (quite reasonably) require a minimum order and then want to sell me the mold. I'll do this if I have to but will go as cheaply as I can.

Thoughts?

mooman76
08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
First off are you sure it is 63? Second thought a smooth bore is not going to be that accurate anyway even with the exact dimention ball you need so it's goingto be shoot it for fun kind of thing. I found a .61 cal ball mould at dixiegunworks for $80. If you really want to shoot it I would go with that and use double patches or real thick patches or even shoot it as a shotgun. .63 is real close to a 16 ga shotgun and you can buy or make the nessisary patch and cards and wadding.

Just some thoughts

mazo kid
08-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Maybe you were thinking of Jeff Tanner in the UK? I have 3-4 moulds made by him; turn-around time is great and you can write a US check mailed to a California address.
www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk

Emery

jonk
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Bingo, Jeff was it. The page looks familiar. And $40 is quite reasonable considering how much these things CAN run. Even if it DOES look like just the mold, no handles.

waksupi
08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Don't believe they aren't accurate. I generally shoot right up with the rifle shooters using my smoothies. And at Nationals this past month, the smoothbore shoot produced scores equal to, or higher, than the rifle shooters.

08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
waksupi, mazo kid got right to the best guy for a custom RB mold, Jeff Tanner. He only makes RB molds. I've cast several of his molds, and I think they are great. Not too much jingle and a quick turn around time. I am very satisfied with his stuff. Check out his web site.

waksupi
08-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I got one of Tanner's molds, and for the money, it will serve the purpose. I seem to have some problems with it aligning on closing, so must handle it very carefully. For odd size balls, they are hard to beat for the price.

mazo kid
08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Jeff does make boolit moulds too, but they are more money, ~$100+ IIRC. When I got my first RB mould from him, they were running $25! Lyman handles fit nicely. Emery