PDA

View Full Version : Swaging lube help

MOcaster
03-02-2013, 01:20 AM
I have just started swaging and need to make up some lube. I got my Improved CH 40 Cal Die from BT Sniper and he recommended a lube that was 1 pound of anhydrous lanolin to 2-3 ounces of caster oil. Can I use petroleum jelly instead of lanolin? I don't want to have to order any.

Thanks for everyone's help. MOcaster

runfiverun
03-02-2013, 01:57 AM
no.
use the lanolin.
i use 2 parts lanolin to 1 part castor oil.
it makes the lube a bit thinner it also makes great case sizing lube.
and it's a good additive for boolit lube.

Reload3006
03-02-2013, 02:31 AM
where are you at in missouri I have a lot of swage lube I could give you some.

leftiye
03-02-2013, 06:51 AM
The guy that used to make Hawk bullets told me that he used a NASA developed synthetic oil 50/50 with lanolin. I got some - $50 per gallon. If anybody wants to know specifically what it is, I can go look at the bottle.

Reload3006
03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Swage lube that Corbins both use and Larry Blackmon uses I use and honestly use it for everything now including case resizing and wild cat forming. is 50% Anhydrous Lanolin (which you can buy usually from RandyRat here on the forum) and 50% Castor oil which you can get at any pharmacy not expensive at all at your local Wallyworld. On low heat warm the lanolin until its liquid and add the Castor Oil until you get the consistency you want. It will swage any bullet you want to make with out sticking in your dies It will resize any case you have with out oil denting and it will be done for a whole lot less than you think and a little goes a long long long way.

runfiverun
03-02-2013, 01:55 PM
the long,long,long way thing is so true.
i made up a one lb jar and have given away more than i have used.
i even have melted some down and poured into 91% rubbing alcohol to make a pre spray for my cases and stuff.
or for a light misting of the cases when using carbide dies.

MOcaster
03-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I was just wondering and petroleum jelly and lanolin seemed like they have about the same consistency. FWIW, runfiverun I love your avatar.