PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs pro 2000 set up

Randy C
03-01-2013, 10:14 PM
62817 This what i put in brass so lock out die thinks there is powder in the brass

I started setting my new press up and trying to get the feeling of how it works I finally have all the dies set up and working priming seems to work good as long as I keep the powder out of the primer feed system, I Had to take it apart and clean it once, The powder measure is real accurate I put my powder baffle in it. The bullet feeder dies works good so far, it fails to drop a bullet about once or twice every fifty bullets. I took one of my steal cleaning rods and stuck it in the top of the bullet feed drop tube so it would have extra weight to help the bullets go through the plastic bushing. The powder lock out die works great I put a piece of plastic in the brass to run the press without powder until I get used to running the press. I will have run it on dry runs for about 5000 rounds just so I can learn how to use the press wright.
Station 1 DE prime and resize
Station 2 prime and drop powder and expand mouth on brass
Station 3 powder lock out die
Station 4 bullet feed die
Station 5 bullet seat and crimp

LUBEDUDE
03-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Rather than 5k dry runs; just run one round all the way through at a time, stopping and inspecting at each point to familiarize yourself with each station/process. As you get comfortable, add brass, or do more stations without stopping.

There is no law that says you must go balls out.

Randy C
03-03-2013, 10:11 PM
63049 I looked at sever books for this load 14.5 gr of H110
5k may be on the exaggerated side but I have run this with and without brass and with primer strips and without, with powder and without, with bullets and without and with my lockout die and without I could go on but this is by far one of the best presses made, but it will be little you very quickly that is why I had to stop and take it apart and clean the primer system and take the base plate apart it was easy, but the factory had all the hold down screws locked in place. I could have done this on a single stage and never looked back but I am a week in trying to make this work wright the first time in my spare time I get up at 3am and get home at 730 to 830 pm at the earliest so if you don’t have my hrs. You are lucky. Someone had open the box when I picked it up and it did not have the small metering screw in the box I called the factory for this and a half dozen other things I needed for this project RCBS would not take any money.
I am using H110 and Hornady 158gr #35750 Bullets I don’t have the small metering screw that come with this press so I pulled this powder from my stash it uses a lot more powder than UNIQUE I hope it works good with 14.5gr of H110.

Crazy_T
03-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Randy
Congrats on you're new press I have the older version of the ammo master it can be a little finicky at times but it is a great press

Crazy

Randy C
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks I might make a box tomorrow and shoot some, I have a lot of cast ready to reload that I bought.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Randy,

Congrats. I think you'll find once you get used to the press and get it properly adjusted, the Pro 2000 is a very stable press that doesn't come out of adjustment like older presses from RCBS. I've been very pleased with mine. It's boringly dependable.

BTW, don't be afraid to throw another brand of powder measure, like say, a Lee Pro Auto Disk, on top of your new progressive press and load away. I presently am using RCBS, Dillon, Hornady and Lee powder measures on top of my press. They all do a good job and I selected them specifically for the powder I am using in them. I usually don't use the "powder measure" location for my powder measure, depending on the cartridge I'm loading, so some of the powder measures are mounted in the die plate instead. For those cartridges, the powder measure remains set up and only needs confirmation/check via a powder scale before being ready to use. Very convenient.

Dave