PDA

View Full Version : do I need to flare 243win for cast bullets?

grampa243
03-01-2013, 07:43 PM
i'm starting to cast boolits for the 243win

what i'm wondering is do i need to use something like a Lyman Neck Expander M Die

or can i just Chamfer the case mouth?

what works for you guys?

thanks

Maven
03-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I use cast bullets almost exclusively for my .243Win. (Ruger #1) and have always used the Lyman M die. It does an excellent job and is so much easier and more consistent than using a needle nose plier.

Westwindmike
03-01-2013, 08:15 PM
I use the Lee Universal Expanding Die. Works for me.

1hole
03-01-2013, 08:31 PM
There's nothing unique about the .243. You can certainly jam a bullet into the necks, chamfered or not, but you won't damage the soft heels if you slightly flare the mouths first. No other expander works as well as Lyman's M, and Redding's copy of it.

Chihuahua Floyd
03-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Lyman M die. Don't load cast without it.
CF

MT Chambers
03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
You will need to flare those case mouths unless you are using an "in-line bullet seater", for me, using one of these requires only chamfering.

Artful
03-02-2013, 10:40 AM
for Cast Boolits - I'd say yes.

hemiallen
03-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Another vote YES. If not you run the risk of deforming the gas check AND damage to the lead if you don't get the bullet started centered.

For those non-silver bullets, I now use a VLD chamfer tool and never get rings of copper, so it is very important to bell the cases.

Allen

Ben
03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I didn't know that you could load a cast bullet in ANY cartridge without a flare on the case mouth ? ? ?

Char-Gar
03-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Ben..Like you I do expand the cast mouths a tad for all cast bullet load. But you don't have to under certain circumstances. If I expand the case mouths to exact bullet diamter, chamfer the cast mouth and use a Vickerman straight line seating die with the bullet chamber a proper fit for the bullet so their is no wiggle, you can seat cast bullets into unflaired case mouths without shaving lead or deforming the bullet.

That said, I still flair case mouths even with such a rig. I just get queasy in my stomach if I don't. Not to flair just doesn't seem right. I use an old Lee 30 caliber crimp die to turn the case mouths back straight, but not produce a crimp. I measure the neck of the completed round with a micrometer to make certain I have it right, before setting the die lock ring.

blackbike
03-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I use cast bullets almost exclusively for my .243Win. (Ruger #1) and have always used the Lyman M die. It does an excellent job and is so much easier and more consistent than using a needle nose plier.

Yea, but one size fits all.
:kidding:

1Shirt
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I sold all of my M-dies on E-Bay, bought Lee expander dies, and made a fair profie overall. Both work, but the Lee is cheaper in the long run.]
1Shirt!

MT Chambers
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Just like Char-gar i was referring to the use of an in-line bullet seater, especially the Vickerman.

sirgknight
03-04-2013, 08:51 PM
+1 on Lee Universal Expanding die. The Lee powder through expanding die is great for handgun reloading. It can be adjusted to give just a slight flair to insert the cast bullets. I've even had to expand the case mouth when loading plain base jacketed bullets, most especially with the .223. Hate to think of all the .223 case mouths I have crimped trying to seat a bullet. That's the main reason why I try not to purchase any jacketed bullets that aren't boat tails.

DLCTEX
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
The Lee Universal Expanding die should be called a flaring die as all it expands is the rim of the mouth. The Lyman "M" die expands the case neck to a certain depth to permit seating the boolit without squeezing the boolit excessively. The Lee powder through dies for pistol have a neck expander as well as a flare.

MtGun44
03-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Yes, you need a flare. I have had good results with the Lee Universal die. The M die (never
used one, yet) also can expand the neck to a different size, which may be useful.

Bill

Griz44mag
03-05-2013, 07:48 AM
I use the Lee Universal Expanding Die. Works for me.
Ditto, and I follow up with a FCD in the last stage to make sure the neck is properly sized for tight match chambers.
The Lee is very gentle on the neck, and only does a very slight kiss flare for easy lineup and insertion into the case.

Maven
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
One more thought re: neck expansion for CB's. Sometimes case necks sized via a Lee Collet Die need no further neck expansion. (This is more the exception than the rule as only 1 out of 3 of my Lee Collet Dies allows this.) If you have one for the .243Win., why not try it?

Blackbike, funny observation!

bobthenailer
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
When useing cast bullets is is very benficial to slightly bell the case mouth to avoid lead shaving from the sides of the bullet when seating and thereby reducing the diameter of the bullet.

1Shirt
03-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Highly recommend you get a new Lyman manual and read same.
1Shirt!

GabbyM
03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Yes, you need a flare. I have had good results with the Lee Universal die. The M die (never
used one, yet) also can expand the neck to a different size, which may be useful.

Bill

You really need to limit your expert advise to the 45 ACP as the all powerful military round. In spite of how it will not penetrate a piece of cotton.

Tell me how this .245” cast boolit presses into a .241” neck. Exploitive deleted.

grampa243
03-06-2013, 08:45 AM
thanks for all the input guys.

I ordered the Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die for now as the budget is tight and i can use on more then one caliber.

i also have the Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook: 4th Edition" on the way.

so will see how it goes.

grampa243
03-23-2013, 09:58 PM
well i made it to the range today. i guess it's back to the drawing board.
couldn't hit paper at 25 yards.
i'm guessing between the pure lead being too soft and the fact that just using a Lee Universal Expanding Die made the neck swag the boolits down to .243[my bore is .244]
.... I pulled one to check size.
so maybe a harder alloy will help.
and i'm thinking an 'M' die might be a good idea too.

grampa243
03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
umm. are you guys crimping to hold the boolit?

i loaded one shell in to the gun then took it out( hoping to look at rifle marks on the boolit)
but the boolit stayed in the chamber so i had to pop it out with a rod.

i'm thinking this will get worse when i use the 'M' die.

i have never crimped for 243.