PDA

View Full Version : ruger#1 scope extensions

charger 1
08-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey guys, picked up another #1 in 45/70. Not goin to convert this one to anythinh. The one converted to 450 ak is all the fun I can bare. Anyhoo bought a compact nikon with supposedly enough eye relief but it just dont quite come back far enough. Was wondering if any of you fellas have ever seen these extensions that go on a ruger then utilize a weaver type ring? Before I layed out 140 which will turn into 200 before the borders done with me I'd like to know if their worth a hoot for rigidity and accuracy, and what all components did you use to get the job done. Thanks so much

Frank46
08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Chargar, been there done that and don't want the tee shirt. Ruger extension rings both front and rear will only give you about 1/2" to 5/8" more rearward travel for your scope. I have a leopold 3.5x10 on mine and could not get a good view through the scope. Conetrol sells a base and horizontally split rings that may help. But this entails removing the rib altogether, and those pesky dowel pins ruger puts into the bbl through the rib can be kinda stubborn to remove. Seems to me they just should have used screws instead on the dowel pins. The conetrol base and rings that I have helped a lot as I really didn't want to have the stock shortened. Hope this helps, Frank

charger 1
08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Ya, I was looking and seen burris does a set that you just bolt their Z rings to then

Frank46
08-10-2007, 01:42 AM
charger1, look in the brownell's catalog. Molds (spelling?) has a two piece base set with weaver slots that replaces the ruger rib. Don't remeber what it cost, will look it up later today. With more slots maybe it will allow you to move the scope further rearward even with extension rings. Frank

SCOTT ARTHUR
08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
charger1, I used Burris Ruger to Weaver adaptors as extentions with Millet rings to mount a Simmons Atec on my Ruger #1. Worked great!

Bullshop
08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
charger1, I used Burris Ruger to Weaver adaptors as extentions with Millet rings to mount a Simmons Atec on my Ruger #1. Worked great!
Wouldn't mounting a base on a base this way get the scope mounted rather high in relation to the comb of the stock?
I immensely dislike having to float over the stock to see through the scope much preferring firm face contact to the stock. The classic stock on the Ruger #1 to me seems more compatible to open sights than to scope. With my chubby face welded to the stock my eye is in alignment with the factory sights. Anything higher than that and the solid contact is compromised.
BIC/BS

4060MAY
08-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Ruger rings from Brownell's work fine for the set back
not too high
The top gun is a No.1 in 32-40 with a Varmint taper barrel. the other is a 38-55 withthe rib.
The Varmint blocks are the same height as the rib

Frank46
08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
chargar1, brownell's part #578-000-008AA 1S scope base set $124.95 ouch!!!.
this is the same price as their latest catalog which I just received. Moulds is I believe Frank Zika and according to the scuttlebutt on the ASSRA web site, he may soon start production of a single set trigger or something similar. I have to agree with Bullshop, about the use of iron sights on this rifle. With the alexander henry forend it would look really neat with a decent set of irons. Not to start any flame wars on that one, that's for sure. Sure wish ruger would put a longer bbl on the #1 in 45/70. Would look even better. Frank

Tom W.
08-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I put the Ruger double offset rings on my 30-06... works great!