PDA

View Full Version : Star lube problem

yul b. nekst
08-07-2007, 01:57 AM
I went through some of the old files looking for help, and it seems like Star is finnicky this way. On my old Star I'm having problems with excess lube on the nose of my bullets. I'm using a soft homemade blackpowder lube on a Lyman 454190 sized down to a .452. I've tried plugging different die holes, reset pressure and now I'll monkey around with the top punch setting, which I was avoiding because that was a lesson in mental abuse-mine! Is there any reason I should be getting blobs of lube snot on my bullet nose? Magma told me that lube is squirting out the hind end of the previous bullet onto the nose of the next. Any help?

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2007, 05:50 AM
a few things can do it. One is if your bullet is close to as sized out of the mold and it isnt sizing down enough to seal the lube pressure. Not much you can do about that other then trying to balance lube pressure or controling heat. Alot of guys use lube heaters including me but if your using a real soft lube in high temps you might want to even try cooling it with a ice using a towel to wrap around it. Another thing that can cause this is the lube holes that are plugged leaking by the plugs. what i do rather then putting one piece of shot in is put two smaller ones and use a small center punch to seat them. Id guess especially with black powder shooting that extra lube on the nose isnt hurting a thing other then possible plugging up your seating die.