PDA

View Full Version : look what the mail man had. Underhammers with pics

GARD72977
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
The spots on the barrels are just light. The rifle is in perfect shape. I almost hate to shoot it. It is very heavy but balances well. I had to leave out of town right after I got them. I started to just go to the range!:mrgreen:

rhbrink
03-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Very nice, whats you mean hate to shoot it? IT WAS MADE TO SHOOT!!!! Go enjoy and report back! Those were very accurate rifles at least everyone that I shot against and I'll bet that it still is.

RB

newton
03-01-2013, 09:45 AM
I have to say, those are good looking beuts. I am not a big fan of the look of H&R style under hammers but for some reason that one looks better. Must be the barrel to receiver fit and without a forend.

Who knows, but I'd be shoving a boolit down the muzzle and lighting it off for sure.

rhbrink
03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
I have to agree with you newton, they ain't pretty! To me the most graceful rifle is the flintlock Pennsylvania long rifle in any of it's various forms. Whether that a Virginia early rifle, or a Kentucky, or a Southern mountain rifle they are all beautiful. The underhammer ain't, but it is so simple and practical and accurate that it does grow on you, it did me anyway. I now own two of them and love them. Set up to change barrels quick from squirrels to heavy benchrest in a minute whats not love about that?

RB

Hanshi
03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I've had one of those H&A underhammers for decades and hunted and fired it a lot. It's pretty much worn out, now, but the bore is still immaculate. I even replaced the combo tg/tspring/hspring but it still won't return the trigger. It's pre wire-spring return so that won't work. The forearm split a few years back; and though I glued it back together, I finally just removed it. It looks much like yours now.

Mike.44
03-04-2013, 09:28 PM
NO! Do not, under any circustances shoot that rifle!!! It is deefektiv.....they put the hammurs on the wrong side!! Just send them to me. I will figur a way to dremel them thingz off an put them up top somewhere.....after a thurough egzamination and egstensiv range session!!!! That is a nice rifle.....shoot and enjoy!