PDA

View Full Version : Remington 750 Woodmaster

bearcove
02-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Never had one, any input on these.

Looking at a 35 Whelen 22 " barrel. Seems like a nice double tap moose gun.

Thanks, Rod

SlippShodd
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
I haven't kept up with Remingtons for a while, but I'm guessing this is the modern version of their old 740/7400 line? My family has long been a fan of the Rem pump guns (760) and there's been a pile of them over the years. My uncle has a 740 in .30-'06 at the ranch these days, to replace his old 760 in .308; went to the autoloader 'cuz he kept forgetting to pump after he shot. Wish I'd hung on to the .308 -- borrowed it to shoot my first deer 40 years ago.
Anyway, that's not what you were asking about, but I will say that when I bought the 740 for him and set about breaking it in, it was very pleasant to shoot and as accurate as I could hope for in an out of the box gun that was only ever going to shoot factory ammo: Inch at a hundred with 150 grain Rem SPs.
Loading for the Rem pumps and autos, you'll always be cautioned to not try to max them out like you might a bolt gun. My '06 pump loves a 150 gr. Speer Spitzer with 58 grains of IMR 4350 for about 2900ish fps and that's not a cat-sneeze load. I've been shooting that particular gun since I graduated high school in 1976 and it shows no signs of degrading health whatsoever; my motto with that gun is, if I can see it, I can kill it. This summer, it's going to learn how to shoot cast boolits.
They're nice handling guns, both the pumps and the autos, so unless Remington has really screwed with them in this version, I'd ride with one.

mike

jburris2001
03-01-2013, 11:18 AM
im picking up one of the 742's tommorrow morning in 308. will let you know what I think of it after I get it to the range.

376Steyr
03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
The Remington semi-auto's have a long heritage as sporting arms. They are not battle rifles, or target rifles, and they are designed to run on standard factory ammo and equivalent handloads. They are excellent at their intended purpose of slaying moderate-sized herbivores at moderate ranges in temperate climates. If that is what you intend to use it for, I'm sure you'll like it.

Nobade
03-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I like the slide action ones a lot. Not so fond of the semi autos, too picky about ammo. Like 376 Steyr says, they are made to run on factory ammo.

A buddy here just had JES rebore his slide action one to 338-06. That is one good cast boolit gun now!

-Nobade

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2013, 08:39 AM
seen to many of the auto loaders that were jamamatics. the pumps ive used were good guns. most of both models shoot better then they should be expected to! I shot a beat up old semiauto 06 once that would shoot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups. Id bet the whelen is a real shooter. will it run reliably is the question though. Could be too though that there mostly bought by first time hunters and inexperienced riflemen that dont maintain them properly. If it were me id look for a cdl in 35 whelen or if i really wanted a semi auto look at the bar browing in 7mag 300mag or 338mag.

Moonie
03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
The earlier ones (742 and older) will have issues in the receiver eventually. Keep them well lubed and don't target shoot with full power hunting loads. My son has a 742 in 30-06, we use just enough H4895 to cycle the action so the receiver doesn't get chewed up.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
The earlier ones (742 and older) will have issues in the receiver eventually. Keep them well lubed and don't target shoot with full power hunting loads. My son has a 742 in 30-06, we use just enough H4895 to cycle the action so the receiver doesn't get chewed up.

my first rifle was a 742 in 30-06 good or bad i think it only has about 100 rounds thru it mostly factory Winchester 150gr I sighted it in 20 years ago when i bought it , use but only 1 year old , when i bought it , 742's had been a favorite in the family but in my family most sight in before deer season with a few rounds to verify zero hasn't moved and 1 or 2 for a deer, they seem to last forever at 5 rounds a year

i later learned of the soft receiver issue , a problem that seems to be quickly compounded by neglect dirty chambers poorly oiled

so i always keep it clean and oiled , but just haven't shot it much.

I am glad to hear that a cast load that would be good for an M1 would also be good for the 742 , i got order confirmation on my M1 yesterday

I would like to hear more about your experience with the 742 how many rounds do you have thru it , how much of the receiver issue was people treating them poor and then problems started. I find it hard to believe that a rifle that was manufactured for so long wouldn't have gone a few thousand in testing by Remington with standard loads. or was it that when they designed it the standard load was m2 ball or equivalent.

mac60
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Bearcove - we don't have any moose down here, but it'll do the trick for 150 lb. whitetail or a 250 lb. pig. It took me a while to find a carbine, but here's mine. I've found it to be reliable and fairly accurate. I've owned it for several years and had not a moment's trouble with it.

cheggie
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
I looked into buying one of these, the more reliable models were the 7400 and 750 with solid bolt lugs. The 740 and 742 had sectional lugs - like an interrupted screw. These smaller lugs dig into the grooves in the softer steel receiver, and eventually cause the bolt to get stuck in the rear position. The 7400 and 750 also appear to have a separate steel channel that lines the bolt race in the receiver. The 760 does not appear to have these problems, even with the older sectioned lugs - much less force on the bolt as it's operating, I suppose. Remington does not have any fix for the older 740/742, they are trash after the race is damaged.

izzyjoe
03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
i've heard that there's a fellow that converts 742's to 760's. the 750 should be a better rifle.

TNsailorman
03-20-2013, 10:42 PM
I haven't even picked up a Model 750 but I understand from a gunsmith friend that Remington finally got the wear issues fixed. He says the new 750 is a solid rifle. My father had a 742 in 30-06 and it was as accurate as most out of the box bolt rifles. It did develope the old action wear problem but the above gunsmith fixed that without much problem. My brother has the rifle now and its still going strong the last time we talked about it. If I buy another rifle, it just might be a 750 in .308 Winchester. good night, james