PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Single Shots

No_1
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Gentlemen,
I attended a "friends" rimfire match this past weekend at the invite of one of our generous members. It was not too far a drive and he "threatened" to let me shoot his "17" so I figured what the heck. I showed on Saturday expecting to see them but found I was a day early. No loss as I had my trusty 10-22 that has had about 200k rounds thru it and figured I would get a couple shots in to make sure it was sighted for 25 and 50 yards.

I came back Sunday morning bright and early (ok, I was 10 minutes late) to find myself in the middle of some of the most awesome rimfire rifles and pistols this side of a full blown match. Jeff was there smiling and offered up his "17" for a couple of shots. He had a target out at 50 yards and after 4 shots I knew this pistol was a shooter.

I stepped back from the bench to see Jeff smiling. He told me I could shoot it more but I did not want to spoil myself. We chatted a few minutes and then he proceeded to introduce me to the fellows (and young lady) who were in attendance. They all were a friendly bunch.

The match got started with 18 folks shooting from 5 stations and the targets were dum dum's at 25 yards. If you do not remember these things, they are little blow pops about the size of a dime. They had fashioned stands that hold 5 blow pops and the shooter was given 3 minutes to fire 5 shots only. We went down the sign in list to set shooting order and in the middle of the 3rd set I realized I would be up next. I went to my bag and pulled out 5 rounds and readied my rifle. When it was time to approach the line I turned to see Jeff there with a smile setting up the 17 for me to shoot. I was happy and nervous to say the least. With the exception of the 4 test rounds I had never shot a Thompson. When that round was over I had gotten 5 of 5 at 25 yards. I stepped back with a HUGE smile that I am sure everyone saw. The next setup was the same deal but at 50 yrds. Again when the 3rd set started there was Jeff setting up that FANTASTIC 17 again for me. When that was over, there was 1 who had 20 out of 20 for the match and 3 of us tied for 2nd / 3rd place.

Time for the shoot off. I figured I had a chance to place until they explain the NEW rules. The shoot off would be at 50 yards but we would be shooting spent .22 cases off of blow pop sticks. AUUUUUGGGGG! I knew I was screwed now....

When the smoke cleared I placed 3rd. Not bad for a guy shooting a strange pistol with only 4 get acquainted rounds.

After the award ceremony we cleaned up and I was invited to lunch where my friends and fellow shooters Jeff and Bill treated me to flounder lunch. Needless to say I will go back.

Oh yeah, I am HOOKED on Thompson's now. I have found a receiver with 2 barrels and another of the fine members here says he has a 7TCU set up he will let me "try" (I think that means he will send it and I will buy it because I HAVE to have it). I also think my whole gun collection is for sale now to make funds for a conversion to the Thompson sysem. I think I am ruined.....

Turboman
08-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Robert
Glad ya had a good time,Im glad ya liked the 17It does shoot very well,And you shot it extremley well for a first go around,Hope ya dont get hooked to bad,But I MUST ADMIT,Ken made me do it.:-D

No_1
08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Jeff,
I did have a great time and I loved the "17". It is not hard to shoot well when you get handed a A+++ gun. I wish I could have placed 1st as that would have been a mighty good way to introduce myself to the fellas ;)

I am scrambling to get my stuff together for the 75/100 yard bowling pin match next month. I would really like to come out there with a Contender but will be ready to fall back to the old S&W 625 in 460 Rowland or 45 ACP. If I cannot get a contender together in time do you have another fine shooter I can borrow? How about something that I can place 1st with......

Robert

Robert
Glad ya had a good time,Im glad ya liked the 17It does shoot very well,And you shot it extremley well for a first go around,Hope ya dont get hooked to bad,But I MUST ADMIT,Ken made me do it.:-D

Dusty Wheeler
08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
My recent purchase of an Encore .308 26" rifle had the same result...many guns are going up on GunBroker! T/C's are contagious!

No_1
08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Ssssssh, keep it down...... I do not want everyone to know how good the TC's are until I get 1 of each barrel and a few more recievers. I would hate for these scallywaggers to make a run on the barrels at the auction sites until WE get a chance to pick what we want first.

All kidding aside. I was on gunbroker this moring reviewing the selling procedures They have a great tutorial for the sellers. I have checked a few web sites and ken (45nut) has passed on some good sites too. Do a google search for "Bullberry" and also for "OTT" Contender barrels. They are suppose to be the real deal. They seem kinda pricely but to get a bolt gun that shoots that good would cost several time what they ask.

R.

My recent purchase of an Encore .308 26" rifle had the same result...many guns are going up on GunBroker! T/C's are contagious!

hivoltfl
08-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Be careful its a sickness, I enjoy mine. I have five frames and barrels hidinng most every where I think my wife wont find them, hehehe

Rick

No_1
08-07-2007, 02:56 PM
A sickness? Are you kidding? Dang it man, I think I have it full blown and may never recover!

R.

Be careful its a sickness, I enjoy mine. I have five frames and barrels hidinng most every where I think my wife wont find them, hehehe

Rick

wiljen
08-07-2007, 04:07 PM
The illness only gets worse too - pretty soon you have 357 Maximum and 35 Remington barrels and .222 and .223, and other ballistic twins, and you justify having both.

No_1
08-07-2007, 05:06 PM
They are not the same. The 357 max is no where near the .222 anymore than the 35 rem is close to the .223, balistically speaking. So I believe I need all 4 of them.

Robert

The illness only gets worse too - pretty soon you have 357 Maximum and 35 Remington barrels and .222 and .223, and other ballistic twins, and you justify having both.

C A Plater
08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
As a confirmed addict and enabler I can tell you some of the stages you will go through. In the early stages the hapless victim starts with one frame and a barrel. Soon another barrel is acquired only raising the tolerance of spouse because it's only a part, not a whole gun. Other barrels come and go and then a second and third frame because you need it and besides, this barrel does better with a particular frame and it would be a shame to break them up. The disease progresses to the custom barrel makers and the one frame per barrel mode. Contender carbines and Encore rifles soon out number everything as the intrepid shooter experiments with endless permutation. Some have gone cold turkey at this point only to fall prey again when they encounter one at the range and start the cycle all over again so I don't recommend any one to try it. It's better to just stick with it and have fun infecting the kids, nieces, nephews, grand kids and spouses with the syndrome.:grin:

No_1
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
WOW! I did not know there were that many addicts here. I am glad I have a support group. I think if I am caught selling my kids college fund to buy barrels and recievers I will plead insanity and point at ---------> Ken (45nut).

As a confirmed addict and enabler I can tell you some of the stages you will go through. In the early stages the hapless victim starts with one frame and a barrel. Soon another barrel is acquired only raising the tolerance of spouse because it's only a part, not a whole gun. Other barrels come and go and then a second and third frame because you need it and besides, this barrel does better with a particular frame and it would be a shame to break them up. The disease progresses to the custom barrel makers and the one frame per barrel mode. Contender carbines and Encore rifles soon out number everything as the intrepid shooter experiments with endless permutation. Some have gone cold turkey at this point only to fall prey again when they encounter one at the range and start the cycle all over again so I don't recommend any one to try it. It's better to just stick with it and have fun infecting the kids, nieces, nephews, grand kids and spouses with the syndrome.:grin:

lathesmith
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Be careful, this Contender disease has the potential to metastasize into full-blown single-shot addiction. "My name is Lathesmith, and I am addicted to single shots..." (sniff) There, I said it...wow, do I feel better now! First, it's one barrel, then two, and before you know it, three...then more frames, SS, other brands, scoped, open sights,pistol, carbine, rifle length, on and on....and, without realizing it, you have become a victim! But I can quit any time I want, of course. And no_1, geez man, I figured you would be buying barrels and frames AS AN INVESTMENT for your kid's college fund! What are you thinking?What better reason to add to the family "investment portfolio" than the kids' future education!!
Lathesmith

hivoltfl
08-07-2007, 10:08 PM
one more item not mentioned about this sickness is a side affect of needing to buy more boolit molds, sizer dies, top punches, full sets of reloading dies, neck sizer dies... Oh I am sick....so sick....anybody got 25-35 ackley improved super 14 for sale???????

Rick

No_1
08-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the input. To have it as an investment for their college fund I have to sell them when the time comes. What if all of them shoot as well as the one I shot at the dum dum match? Which one would I pick to sell? I do not think I would sell any of them. So much for their college funds. Boy the wife is going to be pissed.

And no_1, geez man, I figured you would be buying barrels and frames AS AN INVESTMENT for your kid's college fund! What are you thinking?What better reason to add to the family "investment portfolio" than the kids' future education!!
Lathesmith

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2007, 06:33 AM
like we discussed bob i to have been recently hit with the bug. Ive allways had at least one tc in a handgun a 730 hunter that has taken quite a few deer including my first handgun deer. Ive had a few other barrels and they just never got me excited. recently tough ive been hit by the contender carbine bug. Ive first bought a 3030 16 inch barrel and a 22 inch 4570 barrel that has been shortened to 17 inch. Picked up a rynite stock and scoped both barrels and got to the range twice with them before my dad saw the set up and fell in love. He ended up taking it home with him. So i picked up another frame and rynite stock and a 16 inch .223 barrel. Today will probably be the first day at the range with it. I cant think of a better little truck gun then one of them in a .223 or 3030 or about any caliber. Thats where this little 223 will spend the rest of its life. Im searching right now for a 44 mag 16 inch barrel as id love to have one in my favorite caliber. If i can find a 44 barrel for it and put an apature sight on it i figure then id have the altimate truck gun. They will never replace my sixguns and i couldnt see selling one to buy contender stuff but couldnt dream up a handier little rifle for a working gun.

No_1
08-08-2007, 07:30 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I have done research and found companies on the net which offer the barrels I want. I have also spoke with those that indicate I should not pass up the factory barrels as most of those are shooters from the get go. I will buy barrels for all the calibers I shoot now, factory ones if offered and aftermarket for the others. Looks like I will be getting lot's of scopes too....

Like many here I have collected guns for years and years. My collection consist of true shooters, investments, parts guns for future builds and keepers. There are a couple that I would never get rid of but there are some that collect dust in the safe and others that I bought for the investment. The dust collectors / investors will be the ones to go since they have appreciated as much as they will for the time I have owned them. I will talk to dad and see if he wants any of them then get some pictures to post them for sale here before they go to the auction sites.

R.

like we discussed bob i to have been recently hit with the bug. Ive allways had at least one tc in a handgun a 730 hunter that has taken quite a few deer including my first handgun deer. Ive had a few other barrels and they just never got me excited. recently tough ive been hit by the contender carbine bug. Ive first bought a 3030 16 inch barrel and a 22 inch 4570 barrel that has been shortened to 17 inch. Picked up a rynite stock and scoped both barrels and got to the range twice with them before my dad saw the set up and fell in love. He ended up taking it home with him. So i picked up another frame and rynite stock and a 16 inch .223 barrel. Today will probably be the first day at the range with it. I cant think of a better little truck gun then one of them in a .223 or 3030 or about any caliber. Thats where this little 223 will spend the rest of its life. Im searching right now for a 44 mag 16 inch barrel as id love to have one in my favorite caliber. If i can find a 44 barrel for it and put an apature sight on it i figure then id have the altimate truck gun. They will never replace my sixguns and i couldnt see selling one to buy contender stuff but couldnt dream up a handier little rifle for a working gun.

Scrounger
08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
LLoyd, finding a .44 Magnum Carbine barrel is going to be a long search for you, it's just about the hardest one to find. And when you do.... I don't remember where I read it but I did read somewhere that the TC carbine barrels in .44 Mag were way oversize, worse than Marlin, maybe as much as 10 thousandths over. Could be some truth to that; I have had only one .44 carbine barrel in my possession and I could not make it shoot. And that's the only TC barrel I can say that about. Add in the fact that you will pay a premium price for it, probably over $200, I think I'd look to buying a Custom Shop barrel from Midway for about $250. Same price would get you the barrel in .445 SuperMagnum and you could shoot .44 Mags in it aka .22 Shorts. Some of the guys with HandiRifles in .445SM are claiming to get almost 2000 FPS with 300 grain bullets.

WBH
08-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I have taken to only shooting calibers in my Contender that headspace on the rim except for my .223 Super 14. The 7mmTCU can be difficult to get to shoot well for some. As I am sure you are aware, there are a number of barrel makers out there for your Contender. I have had pleasant dealings with Fox Ridge and Bullberry, though there are others. I will say......there is nothing like a custom barrel that has been cut and lapped. My 6mm Bullberry Improved with a match chamber shot 3/8 x 3/8 at 100 yards from the first 10 rounds off the bench. My 22K Hornet will do the same. Invest the extra $100 for a custom barrel and you will be delighted.

lathesmith
08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I've had several barrels come and go in my collection over the years, but I never ran into one that wouldn't shoot. I agree with Lloyd, I think the 7x30 is probably one of the best, if not THE best caliber of all-time for the Contender. Carbine, rifle, or pistol, this caliber always seems to deliver the goods for people. I currently have a 7x30 in a 24 inch SS configuration, I think it is about my favorite barrel. Then again, I love the 22lr, my 24inch SS 375,...you get the picture. It is hard to choose a favorite here! I take your point no_1, once you have found a good shooting barrel it is hard to let it go! On the other hand, it is fun to try different ones, and sometimes you get a barrel just to try it. If you buy right, you can always easily get your money out of it, to try a different one.
Like WBH, I prefer rimmed cartridges for Single Shots. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of rimmed cartridges that work fine in them. But, for various reasons I like to have that rim--to me it just looks and feels "right". I also like pistol caliber carbines and rifles, as these make for cheap, quiet plinking and they are a lot of fun. My latest acquisition is a 20 inch SS 460 mag barrel for my Encore. Just as I suspected, it shoots 45 Colts quietly and accurately, so it is very economical to feed. And, with the right loads, it has more than enough punch to put down anything I would ever hunt with it. I had considered the 44 mag, but those are custom barrels and can be expensive and hard to find. And, I see according to some here, hard to feed.
Yes, there are lots and lots of choices for both the Contender and the Encore. I am a big fan of both!

ktw
08-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I have been using a Contender carbine in 30-30 lately. With a 23" barrel it is only a hair longer than a win94 trapper.

I am developing an interest in the Bullberry 30-30 based series of cartridges.

I need another frame...

-ktw

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2007, 04:50 PM
thanks for the advice. You probably saved me some money. That 445 idea is a good one.
LLoyd, finding a .44 Magnum Carbine barrel is going to be a long search for you, it's just about the hardest one to find. And when you do.... I don't remember where I read it but I did read somewhere that the TC carbine barrels in .44 Mag were way oversize, worse than Marlin, maybe as much as 10 thousandths over. Could be some truth to that; I have had only one .44 carbine barrel in my possession and I could not make it shoot. And that's the only TC barrel I can say that about. Add in the fact that you will pay a premium price for it, probably over $200, I think I'd look to buying a Custom Shop barrel from Midway for about $250. Same price would get you the barrel in .445 SuperMagnum and you could shoot .44 Mags in it aka .22 Shorts. Some of the guys with HandiRifles in .445SM are claiming to get almost 2000 FPS with 300 grain bullets.

Handgunr
08-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Custom barrels are another "sub-sickness" when it comes to the Contender's and the Encores.

I had Mike at OTT make me a .22 SuperJet in a 20" A&B barrel blank that I had laying around. He did a beautiful job on the fluting and matte black finish.

It's a wildcat based on the .22 Rem. Jet designed by Dan Cotterman (aka the Cotterman Jet) back from the mid 60's. I use .357 Mag cases and neck them down.
Although the .221 Fireball is slightly larger in case capacity (8%), the SuperJet outdoes it by quite a wide margin when using Hodgdon's Li'l Gun.

The round will push 40gr. VMax's out at max velocities of 3640fps. in the 20" barrel (15.5grs. of Li'l Gun), and my favorite accuracy load runs 3395fps at 14.3grs.
Figuring that it's a 20" barrel, in direct relation to a .24 or 26" barrel, it's closer to .223 velocities on almost half the power.

I chose this round on a hunch, and man does it perform ! It makes a mess out of chucks and does a nice job on fox & coyotes as well.

My next project is either a .357 Maximum in a 22" barrel, or the .17 SuperJet.

See what I told you.........sickness !

PS- Hey Lloyd........nice to see you over here !

Take care,
Bob

45nut
08-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Welcome to :cbpour: Bob,
Aren't those OTT's amazing? I have...22lr & 22mag bbls from Ruger 10-22 takeoffs, a Shilen 17hmr, a 6Br from a Pac nor, a 7-08x444,30-40 Krag, 414SM, 460S&W, 458Win Mag and 50Ak OTT's right off the top of my head and they are all amazing. I am a believer in the EDM process he uses and proud to own every one with his touch.
I know Rob is in for some eye opening fun with TC's. All we can do now is sit back and watch the transformation. :p

No_1
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I am already in deep for the TC's. I have 1 barrel here and at least 2 more on the way. As soon at the 4 Ruger #3's sell, I will have a bunch of OTT's on the way. The real eye opener will be me winning match's (yeah right!).

R.

Welcome to :cbpour: Bob,
Aren't those OTT's amazing? I have...22lr & 22mag bbls from Ruger 10-22 takeoffs, a Shilen 17hmr, a 6Br from a Pac nor, a 7-08x444,30-40 Krag, 414SM, 460S&W, 458Win Mag and 50Ak OTT's right off the top of my head and they are all amazing. I am a believer in the EDM process he uses and proud to own every one with his touch.
I know Rob is in for some eye opening fun with TC's. All we can do now is sit back and watch the transformation. :p

Turboman
08-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Dang Looks like we created a Monster :mrgreen:

No_1
08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
At first you said Ken put you up to it now you say WE created a monster. The truth comes out. That's it, the gloves are off. I am bringing the Garand out to the next shoot and turning your Dad onto it :) . I will pump him up to the point you will GIVE me the 17 if I promise not to do that again.....

R.

Dang Looks like we created a Monster :mrgreen:

lovedogs
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
I have to confess... I, too, am addicted to Contenders. It's a bonafide illness for which there's no known cure. I've got all kinds of guns but am always out shooting some other kind of critter with a Contender. I love prairie doggin' and sneaking around the Whitetail Woods with 'em.

Turboman
08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Kennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KENNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Help me buddy,Look what Roberts gonna do to me,And for what?Just helping him along on his quest for TC,S :mrgreen:

No_1
08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Come on buddy, you know it is all in jest. You have a sweet 17 and I DO like it. I am still gonna bring the Garand so your dad can handle it, do a time warp and maybe send a couple of rounds down range if he wants BUT like I said before, even tho the gun is for sale/trade, it will not be for sale when he handles it.....

Robert

Kennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KENNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Help me buddy,Look what Roberts gonna do to me,And for what?Just helping him along on his quest for TC,S :mrgreen:

con10der
08-16-2007, 06:32 AM
My T/C illness is terminal,as i'm sure they will be the death of me ie if i don;t stop buying them my wife will kill me!I have several frames for both the Encore and Contender,as far as barrels i have

14" contender 45-70, 35 rem, 7-30 waters, 223 rem
10" contender 309 jdj, 30-30 win, 222 rem
7" custom coyote 6.8 spc
12" 45-70 GOVT ,

Encore barrels
15" 454 casull, 7mm08, 308, 450 marlin

recently aquired a 26" ss 375H&H that i am having cut down to 16"?,recrowned and an OTT shark gill brake installed.
I have hunted with strictly T/C pistols for several years and i have been very succesful,these guns will rival most production rifles in accuracy,especially if you handload.I had the opportunity to borrow and shoot one of Ken's (45NUT) custom barrels last year ,and although I can't blame him for my sickness,i can say he contributed to my addiction (lol)
JIM

hivoltfl
08-16-2007, 05:40 PM
you guys all have the SICKNESS!!!!

me too
Rick

bearcove
08-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi, I'm new here but I too have the T/C bug. My recent barrel purchases are:

30-30 Ackley Imp 16.25" MGM Contender
356 WIN 13" W/removable brake MGM Encore
Those are on order and should be here last week. Warning! Ordering custom barrels is a true test of patience.

I used to have a lot of fun buying barrels on "EVILBAY" but they stopped that! I quess it was a good thing, because my wife asked me how many barrels I had and I had to tell her I didn't know. I went to count and decided to stop when I got to 14. Ran out of room on the bed.

Oh, Don't sell any of your other guns! They are the best excuse for a new T/C barrel. I think I have a "companion" barrel for most of my revolvers and lever guns. 44 mag, 454 Casull, 45-70, 356win on the way,

Nueces
08-25-2007, 03:49 PM
"Hi, my name's bearcove, and I'm a T/C-holic." :mrgreen:

Welcome, Sir, you are among understanding friends.

Mark

lathesmith
08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I too, must confess to being saddened by the passing of barrel buying and selling on eb%&@##!. I am not sure what will replace this, maybe one of the other gun auction sites. We can only hope...
Lathesmith

Turboman
09-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Rob
Ive been away for awhile with pc problems and all,So tell me whats new on your quest for the tc,s?Soon as i get this pc stuff figured out ill see ya in chat again,Im sorry to say as of now,The pc is winning I STILL CANT GET IN THE CHAT,Soooooooooo enlighten me old buddy,:-D Im told the competion is gona be tough nex sunday,Not from me mind u,Ill be happy to hit just one of those ol pins.

crabo
09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Anybody shooting the .357 mag in a carbine? I thought about buying a lever gun, but I have had both knees replaced and have a bad back. I hate to pick up brass. Do the Thompson factory barrels work in .357 mag?

Thanks,

Crabo

Boomer Mikey
09-03-2007, 12:44 AM
I've been using TC Contenders since 1982. At one time I had 7 frames and over a dozen barrels. The TC can be an outstanding, super accurate product but it requires careful attention to detail in setup and maintenance to obtain and maintain its potential.

Barrels must always be fitted to the frame you are going to use it on and hand-loads must fit the chamber correctly.

The inner workings of the Contender are complicated with an interlocking safety system that requires the action to close with the same sound as when the gun is empty. Your dies should be adjusted to set the shoulder of a fired case back 0.001" - 0.002" and head-space on the shoulder of all bottleneck cases. Straight wall cartridges should be loaded with the bullet at least touching the rifling to keep the case against the breech face and if you engrave rifling heavily you should re-open the action slightly and close again listening for that "thunk" sound of an empty gun closing.

I know of only two gunsmiths (there may be more) I would let work on my TC's and the factory service center isn't one of them.

Mike Bellm: Bellm TC's Inc., Grants Pass, Oregon: http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=1
James D. Henry: James D. Henry Gunsmithing, Barstow, California

I currently own only two TC frames; a Contender and an Encore

My Contender barrels:

10" and 14" 35-55 (My wildcat version of the 35-30)
10" 22 Hornet with Ken Light full length sight rib, Bo-Mar rear, globe front, and mid-rise scope mount.
10" 357 Magnum with Ken Light full length sight rib, Bo-Mar rear and globe front sights.

My Stainless Encore barrels:

15" Stainless 308
10" 7MMBR

I plan to add a 375 Winchester barrel to the Contender list and a 15" 7MM-08 barrel to the Encore list.

Boomer :Fire:

No_1
09-03-2007, 05:56 AM
I am still working on getting a frame and of course on the search for more barrels.

The pin shoot will be tough. I had hoped to have a TC ready for that but it seems that I will have to bring out the old stand-by s&w. I am going out this morning to make sure it is sighted in. I will chat with you soon for sure.

Robert

Rob
Ive been away for awhile with pc problems and all,So tell me whats new on your quest for the tc,s?Soon as i get this pc stuff figured out ill see ya in chat again,Im sorry to say as of now,The pc is winning I STILL CANT GET IN THE CHAT,Soooooooooo enlighten me old buddy,:-D Im told the competion is gona be tough nex sunday,Not from me mind u,Ill be happy to hit just one of those ol pins.

C A Plater
09-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Anybody shooting the .357 mag in a carbine? I thought about buying a lever gun, but I have had both knees replaced and have a bad back. I hate to pick up brass. Do the Thompson factory barrels work in .357 mag?

Thanks,

Crabo

They will work just fine but I have not seen any carbine length .357s except for one at a gun show in .357 Maximum. I have 2 pistol barrels in it, 10 and 14 inch, and either is a very fun shoot. Never have to chase brass either bu you will probably need to order one for the T/C Custom Shop or another custom maker to scratch that itch.

GrizzLeeBear
09-03-2007, 05:33 PM
No 1, since you are just getting started buying frames and barrels make sure you get a PISTOL frame if you intend to set it up as pistols. Especially if you have to register handguns where you are. Technically you can not legally buy a Contender rifle or carbine and put a pistol grip and barrel on it. But if you buy it (and register it if required where you are)as a pistol, you can legally switch it back and forth from a rifle to a pistol. Also, if you have to register it (like we do here) make sure it is listed as "multi-caliber" on the registration, not just the caliber of barrel that you happen to have on it when you take it in. You may have to explain to the clerk that the gun can be switched from one caliber to another.

Anyway, I shot a IHMSA silhouette match the other day with mine. Shot my second 39 out of 40 (that one damned turkey!) in Unlimited smallbore class with my 14" .22 with Bomar sights. Got 2 more matches to go to in the next couple weeks, hoping to get my 1st 40 this year! I also shoot a 10" .22 and a 14" 357 Herrett. You will have fun with the TC's!

No_1
09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Good job on the shooting!

Thanks for the tip on the frames. I wil keep that in mind.

Robert

No 1, since you are just getting started buying frames and barrels make sure you get a PISTOL frame if you intend to set it up as pistols. Especially if you have to register handguns where you are. Technically you can not legally buy a Contender rifle or carbine and put a pistol grip and barrel on it. But if you buy it (and register it if required where you are)as a pistol, you can legally switch it back and forth from a rifle to a pistol. Also, if you have to register it (like we do here) make sure it is listed as "multi-caliber" on the registration, not just the caliber of barrel that you happen to have on it when you take it in. You may have to explain to the clerk that the gun can be switched from one caliber to another.

Anyway, I shot a IHMSA silhouette match the other day with mine. Shot my second 39 out of 40 (that one damned turkey!) in Unlimited smallbore class with my 14" .22 with Bomar sights. Got 2 more matches to go to in the next couple weeks, hoping to get my 1st 40 this year! I also shoot a 10" .22 and a 14" 357 Herrett. You will have fun with the TC's!

lathesmith
09-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't want to pretend to be a know-it-all here, but the Supreme Court of the United States has weighed in on this issue:
http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

Read this, and draw your own conclusions. As a long-time Contender owner, I have always tried to keep things legal, and I believe going straight to the source is the best way to do this.
Lathesmith

GrizzLeeBear
09-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the link lathesmith. But I think the courts ruling is summed up well in the first paragraph.

"On June 8, 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Contender pistol and carbine kit are not a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. §5845(a)(3). This means that a consumer may possess the pistol with its 10" barrel and may use the kit parts to make a rifle with the 21" barrel, as long as the shoulder stock is not assembled onto the receiver at the same time as the 10" barrel."

As usual the Supreme Court rules very narrowly. They are only ruling that the carbine kits do not constitutute a short barrel rifle, which is illegal. You can not put the 10" barrel on the frame while the shoulder stock is attached because that would be a short barreled rifle. You can buy a pistol (per your local laws, of course) and use the carbine parts (stock and barrel) to make a rifle. In most states you have to get a permit, or have a ccw which acts as a permit to purchase a handgun. If you buy a rifle or a frame without a permit (and registration where required), and then put a pistol grip and barrel on it, you have curcumvented the law.
Here in MI for example, you have to get pistol permit (if you don't have a ccw) then take it in the local police to be registered. If I bought a rifle or frame and put a pistol grip and barrel on it I would have an un-registered handgun. If I were to be stopped by police with this setup it would come up as such when they ran the serial number.
Better off just to follow your local laws and buy a pistol frame accordingly, and then put the rifle parts on it.

lathesmith
09-03-2007, 11:28 PM
After a bit more searching, I came up with this from Mike Bellm:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

He has some interesting stuff here, definitely worth a read if you are a Contender/ Encore fan. Apparently, T/C states that switching from pistol to rifle and rifle to pistol is the same, but it appears that the BATF takes another view of this. However,I haven't found one documented instance of a prosecution of an individual for switching rifle to pistol and/or pistol to rifle with T/C barrels/frames. Local laws are entirely another matter though. I have generally followed Mr. Bellm's advice of having one (or more) frames as a rifle, and one (or more) as a handgun. What better excuse to have an extra frame or two hanging around?
Lathesmith

nighthunter
09-07-2007, 06:49 PM
The barrel that " I once had " that I miss the most was a .218 Bee. It was a shooter that made me look good at times. I still have 22 RF, 22 Hornet, 35 Remington and a 44 Mag with choke. This is probably the most versitle handgun in the world. One of these days I'm going to get a 30/30 barrel.
Nighthunter

45r
09-09-2007, 10:49 AM
A barrel that has really impressed me is the 40-44JDJ woodswalker.I get 2000 fps with 200 grain XTP's out of a 10 inch barrel and one hole groups at 50 yards.I also really like my 11 and a half inch barrels in 22-Khornet and 7mm-TCU.They will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.SSK put a muzzle brake on the 40-44 and that made it more fun to shoot.Recoil was real snappy when it was a rechambered 10MM with the tapered barrel.Now it has the same balance and feel as the 11 and a half inch barrels.These have been so accurate and effective that I haven't felt the need for anything else yet.Sometimes I get the urge for a 444Marlin encore barrel.Been smitten by the levergun thing lately though.A barrel would be cheaper for my encore muzzleloader though.I wonder if my 280 grainGC 44 boolit would shoot good in a T/C encore barrel.My 40-44JDJ contender didn't like Oregon Trail cast boolits even though they are hardcast.Maybe it needs a Hard to find a GC boolit in 40 cal.The thing I like about them is they are so easy to keep clean and they are very accurate.

Handgunr
09-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Guys,

I only have a couple of frames in each the Contender, and the Encore. All four frames are registered on my pistol permit. I also convert them over to rifles when I feel like using them as such.
There's is physically no discernible difference in one Encore frame from another, or Contender to Contender (other than the old Contender to the G2 obviously).

I was a Deputy Sheriff for almost 20yrs. prior to retirement, and a firearms instructor for about 15 yrs. of that. I worked with BATF many times over the years, and the Buffalo ATF office used our range on a regular basis. I had many opportunities to pick the brains of the agents when they came out to qualify at our place. And, although you never seem to get the straight poop on anything you ask of them, the general consensus was that as long as the frame is registered on your pistol permit, with the intent to carry it as such when the desire arises, then carrying it as a rifle is no big deal.

I know that registering it as one or the other is the pivotal factor in the argument either way, but the pistol issue is the large focus. Like it was mentioned, there has been no legal/court issue to date involving a prosecution of such. Just legal battles between ATF & Thompson Center themselves.

After spending many, many years in court and around the legal realm, a prosecution regarding such an issue would fall flat on it's face when the mechanical differences of the frame in both cases would set a precedence, or case law in favor of doing it.

One reason why it hasn't been dragged through a court issue regarding prosecution of doing it. Once a case has been put through it all, and won on those merits, it'd be considered "case law", and anything that came after that would more than likely follow the same, or follow the same precedent.

I live in NY btw......one of the toughest states regarding handguns & CC permits.

Sorry....back to topic......lol.

Take care,
Bob

Ammohouse
09-18-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm also a TC nut!
Y'all should check out the Specialty Pistols website...http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x
I only have 2 frames and barrels: 223 and 7-30 Waters...both duracoated by me, SS and OD.
Here's my 223 at work:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/2Knives/Picture082.jpg

Here's my 7-30, carnage pics will come when 'Lope season opens.
It now has a bipod on it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/2Knives/7-30outside.jpg

Handgunr
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Ammo,

Nice coating jobs..........Duracoat huh ?....gotta look into that. I've read some other threads regarding that stuff. How durable is it ?

I've been over at Specialty Pistols for sometime. Nice place when you have a "handle" like mine.

Are those "Georgia Jim's" stocks by the way.....very nice laminates.

Due to the state laws in which I live, I've chose the single shots and bolt handguns as my weapons of choice when hunting. Mostly during deer season mind you, but I take them about 50/50 during my other field hunting.

They work perfectly during the months where during deer season, the only rifle allowed out in the field is a rimfire. "Any" handgun (under the law) is legal during that period, and they are far more suitable in the right hands than a rimfire rifle.

I've come to like my singles and bolt handguns to have bipods as well :)

Take care,
Bob

Ammohouse
09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Duracoat is plenty tough, prep work is everything!
I paint everything, I'll have to get pictures of my XP I just finished.
Yep, Georgia Jims is the only way to go...for me. I honestly feel they help with the recoil.
Yep, everything has bipods. I practice off-hand but I RARELY shoot at game off-hand.

Powderpacker
09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Ammohouse -
Nice pics. Good lookin' guns.
Need help with the "IYAAYAS" - can't find it on AcronymsOnLine.com .
Ted

6pt-sika
09-18-2007, 06:36 PM
By no means would I call myself a "Thompson Expert" .

However I have owned 3 or 4 Contenders . Mostly 7-30 Waters , but also 7mm TCU , 22 LR and a couple more I don't remmember . As a matter of fact I've had three seperate 7-30 Waters over the years .

They just never did catch me the way say Sharps or a CPA does .

At the moment I have a Encore Pro Hunter with a 12 gauge slug barrel and a 50 cal ML barrel . This thing is set up purely for hunting the marshes of MD and VA for Sika Deer . I do however have intentions of purchasing a 338 Federal barrel and perhaps a 204 Ruger barrel .

All of the Contenders I had were of the handgun variety , and all the Encore's I've had have been of the shoulder gun variety .

Now don't get me wrong , I think TC makes a fine product . It just hasn't "grown" on me as it has on others . Matter of fact I NEVR liked the way the Encore butt stocks felt until I tried a Pro Hunter [smilie=1:

So as to my own intrest in these guns , only time will tell .

Ammohouse
09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
IYAAYAS= If You Ain't Ammo, You Ain't ****!
AMMO is what I do in the Air Force, I get to play with explosives all day!
Of course, there's always gotta be an acronym :)

Scrounger
09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
That Duracoat looks good. How many tries did it take to get them to come out so good? I got a shotgun I'd like to do but I'm afraid the learning curve might be too steep.

Ammohouse
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I practiced on my 45ACP. I did ZERO prep work to see how well it'll hold up, it has done fine.
The SS TC is starting to chip in places that see ALOT of wear, like the pivot point and the muzzle. I should've roughed up the muzzle area a little better, I was a little worried at first.
Now, after doing a couple, I have no worries. Its not that hard to do, I've done quite a few guns and I'm getting better with each one. I really need to work on my camo patterns though.
I'll look around, I have a DVD that explains the process that I can let you borrow...if I can find it.

DAL357
09-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm glad to see there are other T/C pistol owners here.

About three years back, I couldn't understand what the hullaballoo was about the Contender/G2, especially coming from the self-defense/IDPA side of shooting. Of course, after I tried one I found out. Plus, I think age has something to do with it. I'm 47 now and I really don't need the adrenalin rush from that type of shooting anymore, not that there is anything wrong with it.

In 2005, I came to the G2 via IHMSA which, through pure happenstance, I got into. While at the range one Saturday, the local IHMSA chapter was holding its monthly shoot. They asked me if I wanted to try, I tried, and I was hooked.

The next month I used my S&W 617 10-shot .22 revolver and hit a grand total of one animal. I decided I needed a better-suited gun for the game and bought a new G2 with 14" .22 LR barrel, stuck a used Leupold EER 4x scope on it, had a trigger job done, and managed to shoot a high of 37/40 my first season. (Come to think of it, that' the highest I've ever shot in small bore.)

That first season, I also got a 7mm T/CU barrel, 10", for big bore, and I really love that caliber--it's accurate, relatively powerful, and easy on the shooter, especially in the 14" barrel I traded the 10" for. Last week, I shot 39/40 with the barrel (that darn second ram!), a new high for me. (I think all of the dry firing I did in my basement in the weeks prior to the match at tiny pellet gun silhouettes helped, as well as a new shooting position.) Someday, I may do a carbine set up in 7 T/CU.

Once my financial situation improves (I'm optimistic), I'd like to get an MGM 10"
.357 Mag. (but I'll probably shoot .38 Spls. mostly) to use for field pistol. I'm not sure yet if I'll scope it or use some aftermarket iron sight set up.

Field pistol (shooting standing) is one HARD shooting discipline, at least for me, to become proficient in. We have a guy that shoots FP in our IHMSA matched named Lon Pennington who is truly awe-inspiring. I think he's nationally ranked, if there is such a thing in IHMSA. He makes it look easy, but anyone who's ever tried holding a pistol steady while standing and trying to hit targets out to 100 yards (200 meters in big bore), either with a scope or iron sights (he uses iron sights) knows it's probably the most difficult form of shooting. This is especially true when done in accordance with IHMSA rules which say you can't support the gun with anything more than your two hands and your arms/hands cannot contact any other part of your body.

But don't let that scare any of you from the pure fun that is silhouette shooting, especially if you own a Contender/G2/Encore. You'll have a blast and you will become a better pistol shot. Here endeth the recruiting drive for IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association).

BTW, I also have a .22 K-Hornet barrel for my G2 for which I found an excellent load for this year using 2400 and a 40 gr. Sierra bullet.

WOW! This went on longer than I intended. If you've read this far, thanks.
DAL357

Jon K
09-28-2007, 01:26 AM
DAL357,

Easy to get hooked, huh?

Lon Pennington, National Champion times over, watch, ask questions and learn technique. Not only is he an outstanding shooter, but easy to talk to, helpful-Good Guy.

Jon

DAL357
09-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Easy to get hooked, huh?

That it is, Jon K, that it is.

In fact, although I really have no need for it, unless I get around to varmint hunting*, which I keep saying I'll do someday (I actually need to go knock on doors out east of town to find a rancher who'll give me a shot, so to speak), I have been thinking of a 6mm T/CU after the .357 Mag. barrel. We'll see.
DAL357

*In reality, I don't need the 6 T/CU at all, as my ol' .30-06 will take care of things in this area, I'm sure, quite well. But I like the 7 T/CU so much I think it deserves a little brother barrel.

Handgunr
10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Ammo,

My younger brother retired USAF doing the same thing. He's hauled and messed with some pretty insteresting stuff over the years.

He put in his 20 and couldn't wait to get out. Says it ain't the old AF anymore and things are getting too policital nowadays.

He always says, "I've hauled everything from bombs, to BB's"............LOL

He blew up a lot of rocket motors and stuff out in the desert I remember.

Bob

Rafe Covington
12-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I have been shooting TC'S for a little better than 30 years, I can tell you that there aint no cure. I hope I never find a cure would ruin my whole day.:drinks:

txpete
12-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Ammo,

My younger brother retired USAF doing the same thing. He's hauled and messed with some pretty insteresting stuff over the years.

He put in his 20 and couldn't wait to get out. Says it ain't the old AF anymore and things are getting too policital nowadays.

He always says, "I've hauled everything from bombs, to BB's"............LOL

He blew up a lot of rocket motors and stuff out in the desert I remember.

Bob

:drinks:
old cobra armament guy here.loved every minute of it:-D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/Scan10055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/Scan10105.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/hydra_70_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/ah1s-004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/frg.jpg

I am also a t/c nut:-D

Ammohouse
12-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree with your brother...it ain't the old AF anymore!!!
I hate to say that I'm getting tired of it and am about ready to get out also.
I love the Ammo pics!
This was on one of my deployments:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/2Knives/trailer1.jpg

This is this year T/C kill:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/2Knives/Lope1.jpg

jeff223
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
nice looking prong horn ammohouse
here's mine from this last Sept,i killed this buck near Casper Wy
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cc39b3127cceb27533d66f7e00000026101AZtWzlu4csU
i like your grip and forend.that forest green laminate is awsome.i just got a forend just like that one from a guy on another site and now its time to get ahold of Old Georga Jim for a grip to match
we shot a few of these guys too while we were there
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf02b3127cceb03ce59b0edc00000036101AZtWzlu4csU
and here's Bob.i hunted with him
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cf02b3127cceb03ce50e8f7900000036101AZtWzlu4csU
and seeings how this is a cast boolit site,here's my first kill with a cast boolit,35 Caliber Ranch Dog boolit
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cc39b3127cceb275559eee3500000026101AZtWzlu4csU
got to love those TC Contenders and Encores :drinks:

txpete
12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
a family pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/2007_1216familytc0001.jpg

encore
45/70
375 win
7.5x55 swiss
7-08

contender 44 mag & 30/30

it worse than the milsurp bug:-D

Ammohouse
12-18-2007, 10:45 PM
I love Georgia Jim grips and stocks.
All the metal on that pistol is Duracoated OD green, it really sets off the forest camo laminate...thats my 7x30 Waters.
Nice pics by the way!!!!!

jeff223
12-20-2007, 09:26 PM
here's another TC kill and with a cast boolit too
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7cc01b3127cceb26a7aa113c200000026101AZtWzlu4csU

oldfart
12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
they nothing but FUN !

Underclocked
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/49Enc-G2-med.jpg (http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/49Enc-G2.jpg) click to see larger image

Top - TC Encore 209x45

Bottom - TC G2 Contender 209x45

I've had three Encores but have parted with all of them including the one pictured. The G2 is another story - I'm keeping that little jewel.

By they way, :mrgreen: ... moderator over at Graybeard got a chance to sight in a Knight KP1 in .270 Win for someone. 3/4" groups with Federal factory ammo. Just thought I would mention it. ;)

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/49G2Millett1.jpg

G2 wearing a little Millett variable (great small scope). If I could push the scope farther forward, I probably would. :shock:

C A Plater
12-22-2007, 04:14 PM
G2 wearing a little Millett variable (great small scope). If I could push the scope farther forward, I probably would. :shock:

Try turning the base around. You can get more eye relief that way.

Underclocked
12-22-2007, 07:36 PM
That is a B-Square base - and that's how it goes on. If I turned it around the base would poke me in the eye. ;) Have no idea why B-Square quit making that base - works great!

No_1
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I started this thread some time back when I shot my first TC. I finally got a contender and started another thread on it here:http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?t=22851. I am moving back to this thread since it is growing with lots of good info.

I finally bought a Contender pistol with a .223 barrel. Before I even had a chance to shoot it I ordered 2 more barrels from Ed's Tc's (www.edstc.com). A 14" 17 Remington barrel and a 14" .17 Mach II. I had him take the factory sights off and replace them with Leupold base / rings. He sent them priority mail and when I opened the package for inspection I noticed he even installed plug screws in the holes where the front sight was.

I mounted my scopes then headed out to the range this past Sunday. I got the .223 on paper then switched to the 17 Remington. I brought factory ammo for both the 223 and 17 Rem which would allow me to get some baseline readings from the chrony. When I started shooting the 17 Rem I could not get it on the paper until I ran out of scope adjustment. I will remove the rings, measure them and maybe switch them front for back to see if it will help. I will also cut some business cards for shimming in the rings till I figure out what is up with that one when I go out again. The 17 Mark II was a different story all together. I have 3 different lots of Eley ammo that I was going to try. The first lot: 1st fired, 3 would pinged the rim but not fire and 1 was knocked completely past the ejector. 2nd lot: same as the first, 1 fired, 3 pings and 1 past the extractor. I was dumbfounded to say the least. We took it apart and dropped a shell in the chamber. It looks like it sits mighty deep in there.

I called Ed today and explained my problem. He said "no problem", send the barrel back and he will get me another one right out. When ask about the scope base / rings he said "leave 'em on, I switch them out". I could not ask for better customer service.

R.

buckweet
03-13-2010, 04:28 AM
i like the 7mmTCU, i've never fired a t/c 7tcu that wouldn't shoot good.

goofyoldfart
05-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Ok guys: anyone can feel free to answer or give me h3ll. For 2010, Indiana has a rifle law that is on the books that allows for using RIFLES in Pistol calibers as long as the caliber is .357 or above (38's and under need not apply :) ). Years (30-35) ago I had a Contender 10" in 30-30. Great little gun but I was young and Dumb--wanted more firepower than a single shot. Went to a .44 maggie--Happy. now years later with more sober wisdom and old age (read the OLD in goofyoldfart) I would like to go hunting with a rifle but in pistol caliber so as to be gentle on my shoulder and still in the Blessing's of my state laws. My question is should I get a pistol frame and convert to rifle or just stick with a rifle frame. 2nd part of same question-- is the Encore a stronger and therefore BETTER frame to use or is the Contender BETTER. I would probably go with a 454 casull due to the interchangeability between the 45Long Colt and the Casull. GrizzLeeBear and a few others had good points about the interchangeability legal issues.

I really don't see the issue of this "Contagious sickness" that you guys are talking of--I can just change the barrel on my handi-rifle from 30-30 to 454 :bigsmyl2: Thanks for any help.

ETA: IT MUST BE IN A PISTOL CALIBER TO USE IN A RIFLE DURING "GUN" SEASON! Go figure on our laws????

MOE MOE
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
You just as well come join the rest of us at the tca .is not a sickness it a passion and there is allways room for one more barrel .try match grade machine tca member nra life member mike

Moonie
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I really need another T/C of some sort. The first firearm I ever purchased was a T/C Contender pistol in 7-30 Waters. Wanted all kinds of barrels, ended up getting a 357max then let it go due to having too many children...You know at least the boys would have understood had I sold them instead...

Artful
08-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Funny I just put a down payment on a 357 max barrel for my Contender. I starting to get the bug again - got a 223 barrel not that long ago, and I hadn't bought a barrel in 20 years.

Ohio Rusty
08-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll get to shooting eventually .... about 2 weeks ago I bought an older 1st generation contender, Ser. # 7745 ..... 8 inch octagon .44 magnum, hot shot attachment. The barrel opens and closes easily. Barrel has the solid, one piece locking lug. Screwed off the attachment and fired a couple of factory 240 lead grainers ... OUCH !! ... they were pretty stout. I knew I needed a different barrel to tame that beast a little. I found a good deal on a T/C 14 inch bull barrel .44 magnum barrel and it's ported.

The barrel came in a few days ago. Took off the little .44, and mounted the new long .44 barrel. It clicked in and fit into the receiver perfectly ...... Oh oh ..... The barrel refuses to open ...period. I squeeze so hard on the release that it even pushes the hammer back a little, and still the barrel won't open ..... sigh ....

So tonight after I get home from work, I'll take off the grips and take out the trigger assembly to see if I can push in the locking lug/bolt far enough in to release the barrel and let it swing up. I'm getting an education really fast on all the ins and outs of the contender. Looks like this .44 bull barrel may require a split lug bolt. Not sure yet. In addition, I have a 14 inch barrel in .357 with the split locking bolt, and I'll try that to see if that barrel open and closes or just locks up. Like I said ....I'll get to shooting eventually .....

As a side note .... we have the same laws here in Ohio as Indiana. We can hunt with a centerfire pistol cartridge, but the case must be a straight wall case, no shoulders. I'm focused on the .357 mag. for my wife and the .44 mag for me. (His and Hers contenders ..... MUCH better than his and hers bath towels ...) We can also use the .444 marlin, .45-70, etc but those big cartridges may be a bit too much for me. I think .44 mag is about my max. I would like to get a .223 in a 14 inch and a 45/410 some day.
Ohio Rusty ><>

frankenfab
08-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Wow, neat thread.

I have 3 Encore frames, 2 blued and a SS Pro Hunter.

15" barrels in 30-06 and .224 Weatherby. They both have the same mount, rings, and scopes. Burris 1 piece with Signature rings with the plastic inserts, and Burris 3 X 12 with ballisti-plex. GREAT rigs. I can do 1.5" for 3 shots at 100 off my Uncle Bud's Bull's bag repeatedly, with factory Remington ammo, as fast as I can load and shoot. I don't even feel the slightest bit nervous about being asked to prove it in person! I have so much confidence gained from these pistols.........just love them.

The scopes are not the best at higher power because it is so hard to fing your sight picture, and they get a little blurry at the edges, but you get used to it. But the rigdity of the mounting system seems to be without question.

Working on getting a pistol barrel for the Pro Hunter

I don't care for the Encore in a rifle, though. Never had a Contender.

There are some great pictures in this therad, thanks for sharing, I'm subscribing to it.

David2011
08-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Just wondering- what sort of accuracy should I expect form a 14" .44 Mag Contender? First trip to the range, at the end of the shooting session, yielded a 5 shot group at 50 yards of about 2-1/4". I didn't measure it and didn't keep it; was just satisfiied that it seemed like a good starting point for my first trip to the range with the Contender. Is an inch to 1-1/4" realistic for a .44 shooting cast? It has a 2X scope which seemed adequate.

Got the AC on in the shop, need to cast some more tonight.

David

leadman
08-24-2010, 08:14 PM
You should be able to get that level of accuracy at 100 yards once you have a good load. Probably will take some fiddling to do that though. Cast boolits around 250grs with a gas check seem to shoot pretty good in the T/C. The Lyman 225gr. Thompson Gas Checked boolit is a good one too.
296 or 110 are good powders for velocity and accuracy. Blue dot isn't bad but can build pressure fast so be careful.

My 30-30 carbine with 311041 shoots about 1" at 100 yards with 28grs. of H4895.

onesonek
08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
You just can beat or have too much TC versatility!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/onesonek/100_3922.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/onesonek/100_3924.jpg

Dave

Artful
08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Just wondering- what sort of accuracy should I expect form a 14" .44 Mag Contender? First trip to the range, at the end of the shooting session, yielded a 5 shot group at 50 yards of about 2-1/4". I didn't measure it and didn't keep it; was just satisfiied that it seemed like a good starting point for my first trip to the range with the Contender. Is an inch to 1-1/4" realistic for a .44 shooting cast? It has a 2X scope which seemed adequate.

Got the AC on in the shop, need to cast some more tonight.

David

Dave try 2400 powder - I used the RCBS GC SWC and was able to hit metal Silhouette turkeys in the head on demand from 150 yards with 44 mag.

Four Fingers of Death
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I almost bought a new Thompson Centre in 223, which was something I always fancied. When I was checking out the prices, etc, I decided that the Encore would be a more flexible unit.

While I was busy trying to resist, I saw an Encore on our version of used guns which was a 308 with a Virgin Valley Stainless 22"Bull barrel with a laminated forend in 17 Ackerly Hornet. It also included 150 formed cases, form dies, a FLS die kit, bullets, etc.

I bought it and the 308's performance is pretty good so far, but with rimless cases, throw out all you have learned and start again it seems.

The rimmed case seem like a much better deal. I'd liek to send my 308 Barrel over to Mike Belm and get it converted to the 444/308 wildcat with his special chamber. Too much trouble though.

I really liek the concept, but at times I think, I can get a bolt gun to run rings around this fussy slow reloading piece of work in a jiff, but then I like how it packs down :(

Fixxah
09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Recently, my late friend's widow gave me one his Contenders along with .223, .44 Mag, 30-30, and 45-70 Bullberry's. All are scoped.I am hooked on 45-70.and have fired over 200 rounds in 2 range trips. The rest of his collection is being auctioned later this month. RIP my friend.

donald duck
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I have two favorite barrels with my two T/C, the .32 H & R and the 7 MM TCU. With the TCU I load 5.2 grains of Unique behind a cast 120 grain gas checked bullet. Fun, light recoil, accuratwe, and best of all cheap to shoot.

45-70 Chevroner
09-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I have been collecting and trading and selling and buying and yes it is a sickness. I have owned almost all the of the standard T//C calibers available. I'm 69 years old and my health is not what it used to be. I have taken the cure or maybe it's just that I can't remember where I put the check book. I am down to just 5 barrels and two actions, 1 second model and 1 third model. My remaining calibers are 223 14", 223 21", 30-30 Win 14", 44 mag. 14", and 1 custom 7.62X39 10". I personally think the 223, 30-30, and the 44 mag. are the most versital of all the calibers. If I had to have only one gun it would be the Thompson Contender and the 3 most versital calibers I just mentioned.

Chiefs50
12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
I pretty much agree with 45-70 Chevroner - the .223, .30-30, and 44 mag. are great choices in 14" Contenders. Add a .22lr and maybe a .45/.410 and you have just about everything covered.