PDA

View Full Version : accuracy tips for lee slugs

mike_kaleigh
02-28-2013, 10:28 PM
i was wondering about what you guys have tried to help achieving better accuracy with 7/8 oz lee slugs. i am using aa hulls, aa pink wads, and 18 grains of red dot for 1250 fps. recoil is about the same as an average target load. i am using two card board disk under the slug and trimming the peddles about 3/16 under the front of the slug. i am getting 6 inches at 50 yards. so should i be happy with what i have, or is it possible to do better. i dont use the round for hunting, just for shooting stuff. i have been reading way back into the archives but only found a few mentions of putting wax in the hollow part of the slug but i am open for any suggestions.

the reason i switched to shotguns recently is the fact i can get power and primers for them, where i cant get anything for my center fire, and what i do have i dont want to use until know i can replace it. i went shootin last weekend and only shot 20 rounds of .223. that is sad.:( the ammo scare is getting old.

longbow
02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
I am assuming you are shooting a smoothbore?

If so then 6" may be about what you get. I recently started shooting Lee slugs because I tried about everything else and Lee moulds are inexpensive.

My groups are running about 6" at 50 yards as well from cylinder bore smoothbore with rifle sights.

My round ball groups run 3" to 4" at 50 yards so better than what I am getting with the Lee slug though the balls start to wander not too far after 50 yards where the Lee slug accuracy may hold up better at longer range.

Best advice I can give is to check posts by VdoMemories (Ajay) on slug/wad fit to barrel and follow his advice. Having said that, generally I find best accuracy with my loads when I have a barely snug slip fit ~ easy push through the barrel.

Nitro card wads under the slug are a good thing as is trimming petals so you are on the right track.

You might try casting both hard and soft slugs to see if it makes a difference which it may well do.

Filling the hollow base may help though with such a short fat slug any weight addition to the skirt may upset stability but try anyway. I use hot melt glue rather than wax. On that note, I have also made a form up to allow me to extend the slug skirt with hot melt glue making it more like a Brenneke and groups so far are somewhat smaller than with the unaltered slug. It is cheap and easy to do but you need good clean edges so a machined form is a must. i used CPVC plastic pipe couplings bored out and wheelbearing grease as a release agent so the glue doesn't stick.

A good load should at least match round ball loads so I think groups could be shrunk to 4" or less but it will take some playing about with fit, alloy, wads, etc. Not sure if a smoothbore with Lee slugs will do much better but someone may have a good load and recommendations.

Longbow

vogironface
03-01-2013, 01:53 AM
This thread is a good one to look at.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?185494-Lee-Slug-Load-that-doesn-t-suck&highlight=lee+slug+fit