PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a composite stock

7br
08-06-2007, 04:49 PM
This weekend, I helped with a biathalon. The rifles were composite stocked Savage .22 bolt guns with williams peeps, hooded fronts and composite stocks. We had about 4 kids that had a hard time handling the rifles because they are full length. The organization with the rifles have four stocks that were replaced because the would not let the rear sights adjust correctly. They had a relief ground into them before they were replaced.

Any ideas about shortening a Composite stock? My thoughts are to cut it with a bandsaw, fill it up the bottom 2 inches with bondo, and grind down a buttpad to fit. I might do this with a T/C composite stock for my so. Any thoughts?

fourarmed
08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Mark, I have shortened synthetic stocks. These were CF stocks with recoil pads. I sawed them off right ahead of the pad, sawed off the amount I wanted to shorten (allowing for two saw kerfs) and epoxied the pad back on. If the butt is hollow, I would first try shooting some expanding urethane foam into it. Much lighter than Bondo, though you might want to cover the foam with something a little harder.

7br
08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a plan. Shorten the stock, squirt in the expanding foam, the cover the last 1/2" or so with bondo, glue recoil pad back on. I might consider a slip on recoil pad so the length of pull would be adjustable.

Johnch
08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I shortened a syn stock a few months back

I simply cuy it off
I then roughed up the inter surface and glassed in a wood block
I predrilled the block to allow the stock bolt to be reached

Screw on a pad and sand ot down

I have also seen guys just glue a pad on the stock
No filler

John

08-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I've done a couple. Sako, T/C Black Diamond and a few others. Hollow plastic stocks. I set them up on my compound miter to account for dimentional issues with the curve of the stock, angle of the butt face, drop on the comb, etc. and just dropped the spinning blade for a very clean cut. (Use a sharp blade!) Then I braced the stock in a free standing vise (any contraption that would hold the stock vertical would work) and filled it up with Acru-Glas. Once hardened, I predrilled the recoil pad holes and set the recoil pad. Holding up very well with the .375 H&H recoil.