PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Bullet Co. alloy

Spud
02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm a boolit caster for 30+ years and lead scrounger par excellence, but have none left and am desperate. Have exhausted the possibilities in my area and no wheel weights/alloy, etc. to be found. I know this is considered heresy, but I'm considering getting some alloy from Missouri. Anyone used their stuff? They seem to be cheaper than Rotometals, and like I said I'm desperate. I realize I could simply buy their boolits for not much more than the price of the alloy, but then I can't get the exact boolits I want and besides, I'm a glutton for punishment (just kidding.) Any input? Thanks.

Love Life
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I have used their hardball alloy. It is very clean and casts very nice boolits. Well worth the money.

Spud
02-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Love Life, then that's what I'll probably do.

kbstenberg
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Spud wouldn't it be cheaper to buy off of one of the members here?

Spud
02-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Spud wouldn't it be cheaper to buy off of one of the members here?

I don't know, tell me more.

bstone5
02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
I purchase lead from Lead Products here in Houston Texas.

The alloy is 92%-Lead 6%-Antimony 2%-Tin

The lead cost here lately is between $1.58 and $1.78 per pound depending on the rate for lead at the time.

This alloy cast very nice bullets in the Magna Caster.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Do you have a pacific steel and recycling nearby? Do you ever goto missoula? if the answer is yes to either they take and sell lead. Most out that way are $1 a pound. There is a Range miner in Kalispell that mines 100s of thousands of pounds per year. Always has some.

I'm a boolit caster for 30+ years and lead scrounger par excellence, but have none left and am desperate. Have exhausted the possibilities in my area and no wheel weights/alloy, etc. to be found. I know this is considered heresy, but I'm considering getting some alloy from Missouri. Anyone used their stuff? They seem to be cheaper than Rotometals, and like I said I'm desperate. I realize I could simply buy their boolits for not much more than the price of the alloy, but then I can't get the exact boolits I want and besides, I'm a glutton for punishment (just kidding.) Any input? Thanks.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 07:23 PM
If you are desparate I can pick some up locally and send it to you. Cost + Cost of shipping. PM me

Also if you are patient there are some serious deals on ebay. Someone I have bought a ton of LINO off of has some right now.

Here are locations for pacific steel and recycling.

Spud
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
If you are desparate I can pick some up locally and send it to you. Cost + Cost of shipping. PM me

Also if you are patient there are some serious deals on ebay. Someone I have bought a ton of LINO off of has some right now.

Here are locations for pacific steel and recycling.

Thanks a lot for the help, I called the place in Lewiston and they're out. 80 cents a lb. Could be anything from wheelweights to sheet, etc. Said to call back. Seems high for basically scrap, but what can ya do? We're in the Grangeville area, @ 150 miles from Missoula, go there every coupla years or so. Bought a #1 from SW there some years back. Mebbee a road trip to Kalispel is in order. Thanks again.

edit: Phoenix look for PM

canyon-ghost
02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Spud,
In Swappin' & Sellin' section (classifieds) there are some vendors that sell lead. I have some Missouri bullet alloy but, haven't poured any yet. It seems to be fairly hard.

Good Luck,
Ron

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
.80 isn't bad. Isn't great either. Considering you can get Hard, soft, babbit, MFG ingots, all for that price. I have gotten alot of the four connected round ingots with a handle from the bins for .70 a pound. The fact is lead right now is about $1 per pound on the commodities market. The lead pipe in my area is all 12 hardness which isn't bad at all and it casts just fine the way it is.

Spud
02-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Can't get used to actually "paying" for lead. That's my problem! : ) Never did it before.

edit: Phoenix, where abouts in Egypt are you?

angus6
03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
MBC alloy is great stuff , I get it from the same place as Brad and sold a bit over 9 tons of it a few years back and still get a e-m or p-m every now and then looking for some of it