PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 neck die and group analyses

44man
08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I loaded a few today for my BFR with my new Lyman neck die and shot them at 50 yd's. I had good neck tension on four of them and one a little looser when seating. I marked that one and shot it last.
I thought you would be interested in what happens with the wrong sandbag under the butt. I blew my good bag wide open last month from muzzle blast and didn't make a new one yet. The one I have left is hard to get even tension on.
If you look at the vertical dispersion you can see what happens when the butt sinks the bag different for each shot.
Torque also comes into effect when the gun rises different which makes the string lean a little. The right hole is from the looser neck tension.
If I get a good bag made and get the butt under control, measure the seating pressure, I think I can get closer to one hole.
Yes, I have tried resting the frame, only the barrel and wrists and all the other ways listed but nothing shoots as good as the end of the barrel and the butt on bags. Creedmore does as good but it is harder to hold steady.
I used my 317 gr gas checked boolit and Felix lube. Velocity is 1633 fps.
I have more work to do.

9.3X62AL
08-06-2007, 01:11 PM
More work to do? That isn't a bad group at all, sir. Deer, watch out!

I've started using that same die for my rifle, and although overall grouping isn't tightened up a lot--the flyers went away.

44man
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
I have to confess to being a retired cheapskate. I shot this brass for years in my BPCR and as I buy new brass for the rifle, I use the old stuff in my revolver. I am afraid to buy more new brass with the prices as they are.
Even some of my .44 brass has been shot 40 times.
I wish they paid overtime when retired!
I just work around problems, never sweat the small stuff, have fun and try to pass along anything that works for me.
I tried the small stuff in BPCR like indexing boolits and cases and a million other things. Never made me a better shot and none of it meant anything, I still can't hit any better or worse. most exasperating game I ever got into. Revolvers are SOOOO easy in comparison.
I can't shoot fast, can't do any fancy shooting, can't quick draw. All I can do is hold a gun still and get a trigger break without moving. Hunting is more important to me but I am a nut for revolver accuracy because it is fun. I don't get good groups all the time because I screw up a lot, but I see and feel what I did wrong. Funny how I keep making the same mistakes over and over some days! I never blame my gun because they all shoot better then me.
Thats why I posted this picture to show how reading a group will point to what I did wrong and why you should pay more attention to the shape of a group and match each hole to what you felt when the gun went off.
If it helps anyone at all, I am happy.