PDA

View Full Version : Painting plastics, new canoe needs a paint job.

klausg
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I just picked up a Pelican canoe over the weekend, the literature says it's made of "Ram-X" plastic. From my observation it seems to be very similar to a Coleman canoe, just thicker with less flex. As this is to become a duckboat, it is in definite need of a paint job. I would like said paint job to last longer than a season. Do any of you have any experience with painting these or Coleman's? Any ideas on type/brand of paint? Any thoughts on prep work that will help? In short any and all suggestions would be welcome as duck season is just around the corner up here. Thanks in advance

-Klaus

Scrounger
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Amron paint

RayinNH
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Klaus, Krylon makes a spray paint specifically for plastics called Fusion...Ray

lastmanout
08-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I am sure not an plastics expert, but have seen and tried several attempts to paint plastics. Your canoe is probably a close relation to the material used in plastic buckets (PE,PP, PEP). You can clean the surface, rough it up with a scotchbright pad, and paint it. Trouble is, the paint coat will scratch easily, and probably peel over time. Lacquer, arylics, urethanes, all sit on top of the plastic, without much bond. I would try latex house paint. Cheap enough and you can brush it on. You won't feel bad when it is 'touch up' time. Oh yeah, "remove canoe from lake BEFORE painting". :drinks:

mike in co
08-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, "remove canoe from lake BEFORE painting". :drinks:

dont do that!

the empty canoe in the water will give you a low water line/natural point to stop.
once loaded the camo will go below the water....giving you a great job, but without ruining the easy paddling of the non painted bottom......

ok you dont have to paint it in the water, but leave the bottom un painted.