PDA

View Full Version : Mosby Montana? Is any body on here from there?

frkelly74
02-27-2013, 11:04 PM
I have a chance to go to Mosby this summer and want to know a little about the area before I get there. I will be helping to remodel a Church building there for the WELS Church there. Any conversation will be welcome regarding Mosby Montana.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 12:04 AM
It isn't the most lively place in the state. But it is nice and the view is good depending on your vantage point. Not quite the picture perfect place that the western and southern parts of the state are. Still a nice place AND WINDY.

Oh and the Powder capital of the US is just west in Lewiston. Not sure if Western powders will sell to the public or if the have anything to see. But that is where they are.

429421Cowboy
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Yep, it is pretty small, but i personally do like eastern Montana and feel that it doesn't get the appreciation it deserves from alot of folks.
The people out there are wonderful though, if you avoid the oilboom towns that are kinda like the wild west all over again.

hithard
02-28-2013, 12:20 AM
And when you think your bored, drive to Zortman and spend a few day's there.

starmac
02-28-2013, 12:28 AM
What is wrong with the wild west all over again. lol

429421Cowboy
02-28-2013, 12:36 AM
What is wrong with the wild west all over again. lol

Crime, stabbings, teachers getting abducted while jogging in broad daylight on the street, roughnecks high on Speed, $12 for a hamburger, LEO's no longer doing any outreach programs, too backed up with 911 calls, $600 a month for an RV hookup, $100 a night for "Roach Motel" rooms. I have alot of friends that ranch out there on the border in Mt, WY and the Dakota's, my last girlfriend was from Sidney, Mt, i have spent plenty of time out there and would rather the oil boom goes away quietly instead of pricing retired folks out of town, dumping poison water into the local rivers and ruining the game populations.
I liked the border towns when they were like the REAL wild west, quiet and very nice western culture, the way they are now might as well be Chicago for how safe they are to raise a family.

Rant OFF. Sorry to the OP, Mosby is a long ways from the bad stuff.

waksupi
02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Mosby was originally Half Breed Crossing. I think it got that name after the Riel War in Canada, when the Metis refugees headed south into the state. It's just a wide spot in the road, miles from anything. You are right on the edge of the Missouri Breaks country. If you go there to work be sure to take all the supplies you may need for the duration, going to town is a long trip. I recall a post office there, but not much else. I hear there is a bit of oil activity in the area, but nothing big. I personally like the area.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 01:01 AM
The people out there are wonderful though
If you avoid the foreigners, everywhere is Montana has great people. The farther you are from the likes of bozeman, billings, and missoula the happier and nicer the people are.

Note:"Foreigners" does not refer to nationality. It refers to those that move here but do not assume the role of a Montanan. They want to change and mold Montana into something that resembles whatever state they left.

frkelly74
02-28-2013, 02:59 PM
What a horribly prejudiced comment about the "foreigners". We have 3 beautiful children born in China and I really hate your comment.

Junior1942
02-28-2013, 03:10 PM
What a horribly prejudiced comment about the "foreigners". We have 3 beautiful children born in China and I really hate your comment.I doubt he's talking about foreign like China. He's probably talking about foreign like from Seattle and Chicago.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Sorry you took it the wrong way. I meant resident people from certain locations that like to bring the ideals of their home state here and try to change Montana to a copy of their home state. Not meant that way at all. I look at it simply. If you move here great, But don't try to change the state to a carbon copy of where you left.

What a horribly prejudiced comment about the "foreigners". We have 3 beautiful children born in China and I really hate your comment.

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Correct, but even more complicated than that. When I moved to Montana I never said with pride where I was from. I NEVER wanted a single thing about Montana changed, NOT ONE THING. Its the poeple that move here because it is beutiful and the land is cheaper than say California. Then say "What, you dont have stop signs at every intersection. That needs to change" I used to like driving 100 miles and never seeing a single traffic light or stop sign. ANd that is the least irritating thing they changed/want to change. Sorry, I am a bit bitter about the changes that have happened over the last 12 years or so.

I doubt he's talking about foreign like China. He's probably talking about foreign like from Seattle and Chicago.

gandydancer
02-28-2013, 03:54 PM

I would think that phoenix did not have your children in mind when he wrote that post. with that said I dislike every out of country "FOREIGNER" Who moves to the USA and try"s to change it to suit their life style and piss on our flag. & take & take and nothing is done about it. GD

Junior1942
02-28-2013, 04:37 PM
I'd be curious to know if Mosby, Montana, is named after the "Gray Ghost," Colonel John S. Mosby. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Mosby

Phoenix
02-28-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd be curious to know if Mosby, Montana, is named after the "Gray Ghost," Colonel John S. Mosby. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Mosby

It was named for William Henry Mosby, who settled here in 1891 after coming over the Rocky Mountains by team and wagon from Cottage Grove, Oregon. The community was formerly known as Baldwin, but the Mosby family—and the post office—moved down the river with the post office set up in the Mosby home. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company)

The town was initially developed as homesteaders came to claim their 160 acres of free land. However, it was a harsh existence and many homesteaders moved on. Oil wells have been developed in the Cat Creek area.

The post office closed in 1983

It was also called Half-Breed crossing altho that was never its official name. Even thou technically it is still a non-incorporated community.

Junior1942
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
:-( I'd rather live in a town named after John S. Mosby......

tinsnips
02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Phoenix I know what you are saying I live 50 feet from the MT -ND border. They don't call Missoula San Francisco of Montana for nothing ! I live in south end of the Bakken oil field this place have changed for the worst, cost have went threw the roof an so has the crime. For the record I was born in MT.