PDA

View Full Version : 03 Springfield Stock Question

kywoodwrkr
08-06-2007, 11:21 AM
One of the members here has an 03 his grandfather owned.
It had been modified as far as the stock is concerned.
In trying to return this rifle to its proper condition, which stock should one be looking for?
In addition the rifle was apparently re-arsenaled as it sports a 1944 barrel.
Was there a particular stock used when this happened?
I have three stocks from which to select and would like to get one as close as possible to correct.
Will endeavor to get pictures of my stocks posted later.
I reaize this isn't much to go on but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Shiloh
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
It could have been several varieties.

Type "C" stocks were started in the late 20's These had the grip on it rather that the "English Type" which was straight like on the Krags. It could also have been the "Scant" stock that had a smaller grip.

I am not an authority or expert on the '03 other than that I enjoy the hell out of shooting mine.

Look at the enclosed link and go from there. http://m1903.com/

You will have to look up which arsenal it was made at, Springfield Arsenal or Rock Island Arsenal, and figure out the date of manufacture. Keep in mind that a lot of RIA receivers were turned into completed rifles at Springfield in the late 20's.

There are folks who know a lot more on this and other forums, such Culver Shooting Pages Jouster Forum http://jouster.com/cgi-bin/03/03config.pl

Shiloh :castmine:

kywoodwrkr
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Shiloh,
Thanks for the answer.
I had forgotten about the CSP website.
Too focused on the lead I guess! :roll:
Here are the two types I have:
Two of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/Kywoodwrkr/03%20stocks/1933Full.jpg

and one of these

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/Kywoodwrkr/03%20stocks/ScantFull.jpg

The last one is the scant?
See no inspection marks on any of these.
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Hip's Ax
08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
The top stock is an S type straight stock. The lower stock is a Scant which was made by putting an S blank in the C stock cutting machine. My high number Rock Island came from the CMP with a Scant stock. My 03A3 I bought from Sarco years ago came in an S stock, I never could afford anything in a C stock. I keep dreaming about an 03A4 but I'd have to sell the car and get a second job. :)

Jouster is the place to go to find out the real scoop. If it weren't for that board I'd actually have to read my copy of Brophy's book. [smilie=1:

Shiloh
08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
The top stock is an S type straight stock. The lower stock is a Scant which was made by putting an S blank in the C stock cutting machine. My high number Rock Island came from the CMP with a Scant stock. My 03A3 I bought from Sarco years ago came in an S stock, I never could afford anything in a C stock. I keep dreaming about an 03A4 but I'd have to sell the car and get a second job. :)

Jouster is the place to go to find out the real scoop. If it weren't for that board I'd actually have to read my copy of Brophy's book. [smilie=1:

Ditto Hip Ax post.

My late RIA has a C stock and is a Greek return. Both your stocks look like they would probably clean up pretty good with out refinishing. Thats just from looking at your pics.

As far as having no inspection marks, Thats not a real uncommon phenomena for the '03. from the afficionado folks I speak with. Maybe they were refinished or just didn't get put on in the first place. You may see '03's from any production era with any type stock. :???:

There's a fellow that has an '03 that was sporterized in the early 50's. It's a good job and I admire it whenever he brings it out. I'd like to acquire it as a bench gun target rifle.

Shiloh :castmine:

Bob S
08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
The correct stock for as-built condition would be the straight-grip with "finger grooves", more properly called "grasping grooves" on the fore-end. The Type C (Modified) stock was adopted in 1929, but Springfield was told to use up the remaining stocks of the straight-grip Type S before using the new Type C. As a result, very, very few (if any) service rifles were built with the Type C stock, as very few service rifles were made after the mid 20's. All National Match rifles made or over hauled in 1929 and after had the Type C stock, and it was an option for DCM sales rifles.

At the start of WW II, there were still thousands of the original Type S stocks hanging around, and even more unfinished blanks (some say up to 5 million). The scant stocks were initially made from those blanks at Springfield in early 1942 ... these stocks were for overhaul, only, not new construction. The Springfield scants can be ID'd by a letter "S" in the cut-off clearance, and the absence of the cut for the 03A3 barrel guard ring (the 03A3 had not been approved at the time these stocks were ordered. Later scants made by contractors were cut for both the 03A3 and the 03 so they were suitable for repair or overhaul of either type weapon.

WWII production at Remington was initially with the original style Type S with grasping grooves. The grasping grooves were eliminated very early in production. A straight stock with no grapsing grooves, and no cuts for the 03A3 (barrel guard ring, and enlarged mortice for the squared off recoil lug) is still properly called a Type S; but a straight stock with the cuts for the 03A3 and the 03 is properly called an "03A3" stock, not a Type S. They were called "03A3" in all official documents and on the drawings. The top stock in the pix above appears to be one of these.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

hydraulic
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Do you guys have trouble with Jouster being slow? Maybe it's just my computer, but I get so tired waiting to return to the index I usually back out and go to another forum. Jouster is the only one I have trouble with. I mean, with which I have trouble. Didn't mean to end a sentence with a preposition.

Hip's Ax
08-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes. Their software and server is old and is probably under "information request overload" attack by folks that hate guns like Gunboards was. Gunboards just upgraded their software to stop this, doubt Gloria and the Major can do that. I just wait, the information on Jouster is worth the wait.

cobbmtmac
08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
kywoodwrkr:

I totally agree with Bob S. post.

There is so much to know when the thought may occur, I would like to restore this 03 or 03A3 Springfield back to its original configuration. A great book that was very helpful to me when I made that decission is: The Collectable '03 by J. C. HARRISON. I think it was about 20 bucks about 5 years ago. I have restored a couple of 03's and sportorized several. I presently have 3, 03's and a Spfd. Model 1922, M2 .22 Cal training rifle. My Sons and Grandsons enjoy O3's that have passed through my hands.

I have Lt. Col. William S. Brophy's book "The 1903 Springfield Rifles". However, the Harrison book is better written for the purpose of trying to make your rifle near original. On the subject of Springfield Stocks you will find that the Harrison Book will show you 16 different Stocks and vertually every other part that was changed 5-10 times and more.

Original manufatureing was done by Springfield and Rock Island, then Remington and also Smith Corona. There were a very large number of Armory(s) where these rifles were rebuilt, repaired, reworked etc.

I am not suggesting that you go futher than putting on the correct Stock. I just wanted you to know that there is good information out there if you were to decide to go futher with your project. :castmine:

omgb
08-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Heres a before and after shot of an A3 I brought back to life after a really bad Bubba job

Bob S
08-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Don't trust Harrison's book; it's full of B.S. Brophy's is the Gold Standard, but if you want something that is more "readable", I can highly recommend Clark Campbells' "The '03 Springfield Rifles' Era". Campbell's latest edition has probably the best chapters on 03A3's ever, also. I also wouldn't waste my money on anything that Poyer "wrote" on any subject. From what I can tell, he doesn't do his homework first and doesn't proofread.

Resp'y,
Bob S.