PDA

View Full Version : Mods Needed For LEE CLASSIC CAST Press to Swaging

shredmandan
02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Have done lots of reloading and casting - now I'd like to do some bullet swaging. I bought a Lee Classic Cast press just for that reason. Been sitting in the box for several years so now since it's hard to get most bullets I figured I'd do some swagging. If I remember correctly some mods need to be done to the press to use it for that purpose. Can anyone guide me to some posts that may help me to accomplish that? And I would guess the dies swagging are probably also in short supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

BT Sniper
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Modifiying the Lee Classic certainly isn't necessary but if done correctly it is a very good improvment to the press and it's capibilities to be used as a swage press.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?178276-Increased-leverage-mod-to-the-Lee-Classic-Cast-Press

Check out the links in the above thread.

BT

shredmandan
02-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks BT that was just the info I was looking for - also sent you a couple PM's.

Thanks much!

Jailer
02-28-2013, 10:47 PM
I just added a longer stronger handle to my press. Keep the pivot points well lubed and you shouldn't have any trouble.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2013, 12:07 AM
I would strongly consider replacing the upper Ram piece with the threaded one BT_Sniper offers...that is the only Mod I did to mine...I think that is all that's needed.
Jon

DukeInFlorida
03-02-2013, 06:35 AM
I bought a Lee 50 BMG Classic Press KIT a while ago. The purpose is for reloading 50 BMG ammo. That press is plenty strong enough to handle the 50 BMG brass.

That's about the biggest I could imagine running through that press.

I don't need to use the classic cast for swaging, since I am already set up with my RockChucker swage press.

But, I would feel OK using the Lee Classic Cast if that's all that I had.