PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal ball Paper cartridges for hunting?

cloakndagger
02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Dad and I were discussing muzzleloading rifles today and the topic of spare ammunition in the field came up, naturaly he carries a horn, and a possibles bag, but even in muzzleloader terms thats not a quick reload. He produced two green plastic tubes with pop off caps on each end that were loaded with a prepatched ball and measured powder charge. This got me thinking on civil war era paper cartridges. I assume one can load a ball in a paper cartridge, but would this be feasable ammunition for hunting with a 50cal hawken? How is such ammunition made? Can the paper serve as a patch or do you still need ticking?
Dad uses crisco to lube his hunting projectiles, but would i be able to use say liquid alox to keep the process cleaner? With so many questions rattling around in my head I figured Id drop em here and see what y'all come up with.

Stonecrusher
02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I do the paper cartridge thing when I hunt in modern clothing. It came naturally from someone who used to do a lot of living history/re-enacting. If using round ball I put a few blank paper cartridges in my bag or pocket and use a loading block that holds three patched balls. Leave the horn at home. If using a conical you can make cartridges just like were used in the Civil War. Of course you'll need a capper or priming horn and maybe a short starter. Try it, you'll probably like it. As for the Alox, I would stay far away. A good blackpowder lube like crisco and beeswax or olive oil and beeswax would be much better.

shane438
02-27-2013, 10:19 PM
I do the paper cartridge thing when I hunt in modern clothing. It came naturally from someone who used to do a lot of living history/re-enacting. If using round ball I put a few blank paper cartridges in my bag or pocket and use a loading block that holds three patched balls. Leave the horn at home. If using a conical you can make cartridges just like were used in the Civil War. Of course you'll need a capper or priming horn and maybe a short starter. Try it, you'll probably like it. As for the Alox, I would stay far away. A good blackpowder lube like crisco and beeswax or olive oil and beeswax would be much better.

I do this as well

bruce drake
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
http://www.cartridgetubes.com/uploads/authenticcartridges.pdf

Enjoy the reading and second the use of authentic lubes versus ALOX. I've been told that Alox doesn't react well to blackpowder or pyrodex.