PDA

View Full Version : is it leagal

Lloyd Smale
08-06-2007, 06:02 AM
My buddy made a pretty slick handgun out of a inline muzzleloader and was wondering since it was a muzzle loader if it was actually leagal to cut one down into a pistol. Does anyone really KNOW the answer to this.

Single Shot
08-06-2007, 07:21 AM
When I bought a Super Comachie in 45 colt /410 I asked this question at the gun store. because it was not 18 inches long.

The answer given was ;
If it has a rifled barrel, the law on sawed off shot guns does not apply. (at the moment)
The ATF definition of a shot gun includes a smooth bore.

So it sounds like what he has is a single shot muzzle loading hand gun.

If you mean is it legal for deer season, you would have to check with your state.

I am not a attorney so I'll not attmept any further discussion concerning the legal aspects of it. However I felt obligated to mention it in my response for your information to use as you may.

:castmine:

Old Ironsights
08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
As long as it is a muzzleloader, BATFE regs do not apply. Otherwise THIS would be mondo illegal:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_4558.jpg

12ga double caplock/Howda. 7" barrels.

Your STATE regs may vary.

Blammer
08-06-2007, 11:14 AM
in the state of NC I believe it is not legal to hunt with a muzzleloader pistol.

45nut
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Muzzleloaders are "non-firearms" per the regs.

That is why you can still buy them mail order. His use of an inline matters not, I had considered such a conversion a few times myself.
What is legal to hunt with is a different can of worms however, every state has different rules of engagement and even that can vary from unit to unit .

Old Ironsights
08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
This inline muzzleloader pistol is legal for Deer in Indiana:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/buckhunterpro12_pistol_lg.jpg

In Indiana, the Rule is .50 or larger, single shot only (no revolvers), 12" barrel or larger.

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Its no problem to hunt with a muzzle loading pistol in MI blackpowder season. I was just wondering what the feds think of making one out of a ml rifle.

Old Ironsights
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
It's not regulated (yet), so they don't care (yet).

My Howda was made from a full length double shotgun barrel/action.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Old Ironsights..........Don't guess anyone needs tell you if that beauty went off when you squeeze one???? Lovely little thing.!!!
Nick:drinks:

Old Ironsights
08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Most I've ever done is 80gr 3F... and a 1oz (490gr) .690 Round Ball. Though those salvaged Lightfield Sabots sound really cool... sort of like a 42mm mortar going off

PLANK!

Unfortunately, the thing is accurate only to minute of Tiger at 10 feet... minute of Battleship at 25.

Makes for a really cool "Roman Candle" shooter with 15gr 3F under a wad of 0000 copper/brass/steel wool.

JeffinNZ
08-07-2007, 06:13 PM
I am tempted to say "everything is legal if you don't get caught" but that would be irresponsible wouldn't it..........[smilie=1:

Single Shot
08-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I am tempted to say "everything is legal if you don't get caught" but that would be irresponsible wouldn't it..........[smilie=1:

That also applies to if her in house finds out your mate introduced you to a new skirt.:twisted:

44man
08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey, Old Ironsights, looks like when you get all that powder in and that long sabot, the boolit nose will right close to the muzzle! [smilie=1:

Old Ironsights
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey, Old Ironsights, looks like when you get all that powder in and that long sabot, the boolit nose will right close to the muzzle! [smilie=1:

That silly little gun has a 25gr patent breech. It takes that much to safely seat a round ball...:twisted:

corvette8n
08-31-2007, 12:33 PM
In NY you can own a muzzleloading pistol as long as you don't have powder, caps and projectiles, If you plan on shooting it you need to get a pistol permit.
3 month or more wait and $100.00 or so cost. Some counties you need a lawyer to get a permit cause the judges are not gun friendly.
And when you get a statewide permit it is not valid in NYC, they have their own extra laws.