PDA

View Full Version : Making .375 Win Brass

StrikeEagle
08-06-2007, 02:04 AM
I've read that you can make .375 Win brass from 30-30 brass. For the light plinking loads I have in mind, this seems perfect.

But... I don't know how to do it! :D

How do I do this thing and what tools do I need?

Thank you. :)

45nut
08-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Hello,
Back when I needed to make then I used a 357mag expander die as an intermediate step, then proceeded to a 375Win FL die. Go easy,, If you have it Imperial size wax works great, use a little inside the case neck so it glides instead of grabs and collapses the neck, a lil dab will do ya inside and out. After the dies are conditioned I can usually get away with almost a wave past. If you use to much it will create a mess inside the dies.
I did a bunch in no time with my old Lyman AA turret press.
Let's hear about the success later OK?

omgb
08-06-2007, 03:53 AM
I used a light charge of Unique with TP stuffed down on top. I fired it up in the air and it worked well. I suffered a few lost cases at first until I got a hold of the idea of anealing the brass first. After that, no lost cases.

garandsrus
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
StrikeEagle,

I fireformed a bunch of 30-30 to .375 Win with 6gr Red Dot and a case full of corn meal up to the neck. I did use a small piece of "tissue" in the case neck to keep from spilling everything. As omgb said, load them one at a time and keep the muzzle pointed up when you shoot them. The cases come out perfect. They don't even need to be trimmed!

I may have been fortunate, but I didn't have any cases that split and I didn't anneal them first.

John

StrikeEagle
08-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Thank you very much! The fireform way sounds easy and like it's fun to try, so I'll do that first. I'll let you know how it comes out. :)