PDA

View Full Version : match rifle

danski26
08-06-2007, 12:27 AM
I know it's not a cast boolit thrower but this is my first match rifle build and it turned out better than my expectations. Besides, I think you guys will appreciate it more than the "people" on the long range sights i belong too.

The particulars are; winchester pre-64 action, krieger 1-12 30cal barrel, sunny hill floor plate, stock trigger (worked by me with help from my mentor), tubb firing pin, spring and cocking piece, tubb 4-way butt plate, freeland rail and handstop, it is set up for a "mo's" match sight but is wearing a luepold 25x comp AO scope now for any-any matches. It has a maple, walnut laminate stock bedded with acraglass gel.

I wringed it out in my last range session and I was VERY happy. I only have 300 yards to work with localy but i tried eight loads and the largest 3 shot group was just over 3" but the smallest was .443 inches. I know three shot groups aren't a measure for a rifle like this but the results give me high hopes. I'm going out tomorrow with some 10 shot groups loaded and i will see how it holds up.

P.S.
I did all the work but the lathe stuff.

Dale53
08-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Danski26;
Congratulations on a job well done. I just LOVE match guns (have way too many).

It is VERY satisfying to have a successful DIY piece as classy as that.

Dale53

Buckshot
08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
.............That appears to be some very fine work. I would suspect that you're pretty enthused about it, ha! :-). Accomplishing such a project and having it turn out so well (looks, AND performance wise) sure makes a guy feel good.

...............Buckshot

HORNET
08-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Waddyamean it's not a cast boolit thrower??? Get a couple hundred of them heathen copper things through there to clean up the burrs and start running real boolits thru it after you clean all the orange stuff out. You might be very surprised at how well it'll do. Also lets you get lots of practice cheaply and looong barrel life.
That's too purty to burn up quick. As I recall, Knox and Carmichael both did lots of practice with cast for long range matches just for that reason.

redneckdan
08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
nice, I'm building up a mauser right now.

fiberoptik
08-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Ooh-rah!!!

Caliber??

danski26
08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
308 win........it shot the 185 grn berger vld's very well also.

dk17hmr
08-11-2007, 10:16 PM
.443 at 100 yards or 300? Either way that load is showing promise.

I shot against a guy, in a 500 target shoot at our rifle club, that sure was fond of the 185 Bergers in his Remington 700 308, he flapped his jaw for a while about those bullets, saying I need to try Bergers in my 25-06 and forget about those junk Serria MatchKings.

When the scores came in his 308 and those Berger bullets went into a group roughly twice the size of my 100gr Serria MatchKings. I went over and jokingly said if he had been shooting Serria Matchkings his groups would have been smaller.

Your rifle sure does look awful nice though, Krieger barrel are great barrels, my dad has one on and AR-15 that will shoot one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards almost ever time.