PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a youth model rifle adequate for elk?

Sixgun Symphony
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
I am seeking a .54 caliber rifle for patched ball, suitable for use by a child of about 9yrs to hunt elk. Is there a manufacturer that produces a youth model muzzle loading rifle for elk?

Hanshi
02-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Mike Lange at >mikelange.homstead.com<. He specializes in youth rifles (rugrat is what he names them). They're so good I had to get one for myself. They're engineered from the ground up and not just shrunk down from adult guns. He doesn't do engraving or carving; just excellent guns using nice wood.

smoked turkey
02-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Something like a Remington Model 7 or a Ruger Compact in 308 Win would do the job nicely.

starmac
02-28-2013, 01:57 AM
It may be a little tough for a 9 year old to stuff a 54 round ball down the muzzle of a 308 though. lol I couldn't help it.

johnson1942
02-28-2013, 10:16 PM
if you can do a little shop work your self, buy a over the counter lyman greatplains hunter in .54 cal. shorten the barrel to 28 inches. cut the curved butt plate off and put on a straight shot gun type. this shortens the stock and the barrel is shortened also, thus a gun for a young man or smaller man. they shoot great, last long with care, and would knock down a elk. i shortened the stock slightly on mine and put a shot gun butt plate on it and then covered the butt with a nice all leather lace up butt pad from buffalo arms, easier to hold and no pain to shoot. im going to denver this week end and give it to my son as a gift. he wants to hunt elk in co. next fall. if you want me to walk you through a project like this i can at no cost just for fun. contact me at my private meesage and we can talk. it isnt a hard project at all.

docone31
02-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Dovetailing is not that difficult. Much simpler than I thought. Cutting down the barrel is no biggee either. Chamfering the muzzle is easy if the muzzle is square. You can tin solder the underrib to the barrel. Once it is cut down, you will need to cut it also. You can also order an underrib and blind rivet it to the barrel, pinning the ferruls in place. I might not use a recoil pad on the .54, there is no real recoil. My wife double charged hers, in .54, and on touching it off, kinda stood there and asked what happened. Didn't hurt her, or even make itself felt. It sounded different. No real advantage to stuffing the bore with powder. Just use an heavy coat untill the flinch is done with.
Cutting down the buttstock is no biggee, you can make a nice toe plate while doing this. It will all come together. 60gns of ffg, or pyrodex RS should be no biggee, especially as he will probably fire off the bench at first.
That will be a lifetime rifle. LOP will be from his curved trigger finger to the elbow crotch. Add some for growth. If you have giants for family, go with 14 3/4, my wife at 5'5" uses 14 3/4" I am partial to 15 3/4".
If you do it with him, he will learn a lot. Muzzies have their quirks.
I made one for my son years ago. He lost it. Hopefully you guys will work out better for sure. He fired six rounds.
Good luck.

Hanshi
03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Not trying to be contrary but buying a rifle then buying parts and working to make it suitable will cost you considerably more than one of Mike's kid-ready rifles.

mainiac
03-01-2013, 08:19 PM
I second the mike lange recommendation,,,i have a bunch of his guns,including a mini .45 fullstock he made my youngest son..Very reasonable price,,,value cant be beat!

starmac
03-01-2013, 11:34 PM
My 54 cal TC Scout just has a 20 in barrel, iirc. It would be pretty easy to make a youth gun out of it. Just something else to check into.

Rattus58
03-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Something like a Remington Model 7 or a Ruger Compact in 308 Win would do the job nicely.Hahahahahaha,,,,, :D

Rattus58
03-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I am seeking a .54 caliber rifle for patched ball, suitable for use by a child of about 9yrs to hunt elk. Is there a manufacturer that produces a youth model muzzle loading rifle for elk?I'd be looking for any one of the carbines that are out there, whether civil war or types like invest arms etc. An old Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine maybe or a stock of any muzzleloader on ebay or somewhere and build one yourself. You can cut a stock and shape it.. and regardless of how it winds up looking (had to mish mash a found limbsaver pad once), if it is effective in solving recoil (and again I'm impressed with limbsaver even in an upside down fit on a built from scrap.. ). There are folks here who have cut their barrels and "crowned" them at home and as long as you can locate the sight safely yer good to go.. or should be...

Good luck with this project, I'm all for it!!!:drinks: