PDA

View Full Version : Man, I've learned a lot in the last few months

randy_68
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
about casting bullets. 6 months ago I wanted to get a .45 1911. A couple months later I had one. Then I realized how much this thing was going to cost to shoot IF I bought loaded ammo all the time. I figured I probably wouldn't be able to shoot as much as I would like to so I looked into casting bullets and I found this forum. Sure glad I did.
After a couple of calls I found a source of lead weights which I hope will continue for a while. Then a couple of trips to flea markets and swap shops and I had what I needed to melt my lead into ignots. Placed an order with Midsouth for reloading supplies and a mold for the .45 and I was ready to go. I had been reading a bunch before purchasing any thing to make sure I got what I wanted and needed and thanks to this forum it has worked out very well. I have casted up about 600 Lee 200 swc tl bullets and loaded around 400 so far. Already shot up 200 of them and they have worked great in my American Classic Commander. Still have enough lead for a few thousand bullets yet. I am loading them over 4.0 gr of Red Dot, 1.190" oal, .470 taper crimp and every one has fed perfect, plus they are accurate. Red Dot was what I picked up at a lgs only because they didn't have any Bullseye or Unique, but it works great and I have enough to load over 3000 rounds (2 lbs).

Anyway I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the info on this forum and helping me get started in casting.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/randy_68/photobucket-37918-1361928325638_zps5f2994f7.jpg

Cherokee
02-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Good for you Randy. Those 1911's can go thru a lot of boolits real quick. The SWC is usually an accurate boolit. Get all the wheel weights you can while they are available.

Jeff R
02-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Nice Work! That's a really nice looking 1911 you have there.
JR

45nut
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
your success is our reward. thanks for the reminder of that.

Hickory
02-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I cast boolits for over 30 years before I came here, and I've learned a lot in the past 4 years.

MtGun44
02-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Glad hear you are having good results. Not rocket science, but there are a lot of
ways to avoid problems. Lots of folks here are happy to help the new guy
find the smoothest and shortest path to success.

Bill

Tbird
02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I have got a lot of good ideas from the folks on here..thanks

detox
02-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I also love my Colt 45, but it throws brass every where at the range (hard to find). So now i am casting for my more range friendly S&W 686 in 357. I love those Commandors BTW

Doc Highwall
02-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Lay a plastic tarp on the ground where the cases fall, it should help a lot.

HangFireW8
02-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I also love my Colt 45, but it throws brass every where at the range (hard to find). So now i am casting for my more range friendly S&W 686 in 357. I love those Commandors BTW

Detox,

Check your extractor tension. It should hold a case with firm tension against the opposite side of the slide. If loose, you can remove it and bend it some. Check for burrs and polish it a bit while its out, especially where it slips over the rim.

Once tight, you should get a lot more consistent ejection. It even increases reliability, as a random brass thrower will occasionally land one inside the still-open slide.

HF

PS Paul
02-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I cast boolits for over 30 years before I came here, and I've learned a lot in the past 4 years.

Exactly the same for me, Hickory: cast and loaded for a long time. 25+ years, then lurked here for over a year until I finally joined up. This site brings me a LOT of pleasure and reward and I'm happy to log on nearly EVERY day. Home and at work!

Nice work there, Randy 68!!

detox
02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Detox,

Check your extractor tension. It should hold a case with firm tension against the opposite side of the slide. If loose, you can remove it and bend it some. Check for burrs and polish it a bit while its out, especially where it slips over the rim.

Once tight, you should get a lot more consistent ejection. It even increases reliability, as a random brass thrower will occasionally land one inside the still-open slide.

HF

Like randy said "I learned alot". Thanks HF

44man
03-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I love the 1911's but do not own one, can't afford another gun.
Friends come to shoot them and I try to catch and find brass for them instead of watching them shoot. The stupid brass always seems to go in the grass open side up!
One friend has a little net that goes on his hand, it works pretty good.
I see you are new so welcome. You have seen why we love the silver stream.

1Shirt
03-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I kind of go along with 44Man, love 1911's but don't own one, kind of for the same reasons. As for learning, I figure any day that I don't learn something new is a day wasted. I try to open this forum every day, and seldom do I not learn something that I did not know the day before. Sometimes political, sometimes humorous, but mostly casting, reloading, shooting related.
1Shirt!

44man
03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
I kind of go along with 44Man, love 1911's but don't own one, kind of for the same reasons. As for learning, I figure any day that I don't learn something new is a day wasted. I try to open this forum every day, and seldom do I not learn something that I did not know the day before. Sometimes political, sometimes humorous, but mostly casting, reloading, shooting related.
1Shirt!
Many of us are old goats under SS. I am a hunter first and fun guns are left behind no matter how much fun. I have been in love with the 1911 since a kid, even made one out of wood as a youngster. But I now need to sell guns to get another, the limit has been reached. No more will ever be sold.
If I still owned all the guns I sold I would be worth millions today. We never knew.
If I still had all the comic books, trains and other toys I would own the world today.