PDA

View Full Version : Armsport Sharps info needed

DeadWoodDan
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
There is a 45/70 Sharps made by Armsport locally for sale. I 've always admired and wanted one. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge they can share. I've read lots of threads on the searches and am really on the line with this one. Price is $700obo.

Currently the worst thing i found is ONE thread that stated the barrell was all over the place. I think it was found to have various measurements or oversize, wish i would have saved the link for you to read. Hate to ask seller if i can slug it?? before purchase. Don't know how i would feel if someone asked me that. Seller says he's not familiar with it at all and bought it from a friend who inherreted and had no interest in guns.

thanks
DWD

fouronesix
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Don't know about them specifically. A friend has an Armisport Sharps. All I can say it is ok and the bore seems ok. The double set trigger had to be worked on- not real woopy. I would think that at least the seller, if he's really wanting to sell it, would let you run a tight, oiled, jagged patch through it. The worst he gets is a cleaned and oiled bore! Many times you can "feel" variations in the bore that way. Running a slug one end to the other will only show the smallest diameter.

Don McDowell
02-27-2013, 01:01 AM
The one I have, the chamber is to long so to keep from leading the bore 45-90 cases need to be trimmed down .1. When it's not leaded up it shoots real well, whenever one or other of the lock parts isn't busted. Of course after you wait 2 weeks for the lock part and then get to spend a couple of hours carefully filing and stoning it down so the lock will work, then you have to wonder if the trigger springs go soft all of a sudden again, and when you pull the trigger nothing happens or when you cock the hammer you best have your sight picture cause the thing is going off. And once in awhile you set the triggers , pull the front and pull the front and finally when you give it your last gasp of strength it'll drop the hammer...
But other than that she's cherry.:roll:
Oh did I mention the firing pin that came in the gun was locked up into the breechblock and while you could open and close the block it scarred the case heads real good. Nice thing about that was it was easy to tell the cases from that rifle...
C Sharps firing pin and spring helped stop that problem.... oh and speaking of csa,(or shiloh) if you really want a sharps keep saving your pennies and get one of the Montana built guns, unless you just can't stand the thought of buying American, then get a Pedersoli, and save yourself a heck of a lot of headache.
(Good rifles don't get sold by their original owners very often, and especially not at half price)

John Boy
02-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Check the price on this Armsport ...
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1131826/chicago-illinois-rifles-for-sale-trade--armsport-45-70-sharps-rifle

Here's another ...
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/3959042/armsport-sharps-replica-45-70-rifle

Armsport firearms are made by Industria Armi Bresciane, S.p.A. (IAB) ... Those that have bought their firearms say the IAB stands for 'It's Always Broke'. Then again, spend your money and take your chances

BCRider
03-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Armi Sport is associated with Chiappa. I know three folks that have had serious issues with Chiappa guns. The Armi Sport flinter I bought looks great. But it has a VERY poorly designed and produced lockwork. I tried to fix it but before I could fix the second important and basic issue it broke the tang off the mainspring. I'll probably sell it as a wall decoration.

On top of this a local gunsmith shudders each time a Chiappa or Armi Sport gun comes in the door because he knows he's going to have lots of bad news for the owner. It's at the point where he's simply refusing to work on some of their guns and cringes at working on the rest.

Their guns are all eye candy. Look nice on the outside but when you look deeper it's like a bad fever nightmare on the insides. I know I won't be buying any until I learn that they have smartened up.