PDA

View Full Version : Tin Babbitt ratio question

jeepyj
02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Any opinions out there on the ratio of tin based Babbitt to newer COWW. I'm loading 38spl and 9mm mostly. I recently obtained a line on a couple hundred pounds of the Babbitt shown in the photo62528
Any help would be appreciated.

felix
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
2 pounds tin babbit per 100 pounds of WW. ... felix

runfiverun
02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
i run about half that amount,but my wife likes the 2lbs per hundred.

deltaenterprizes
02-27-2013, 01:28 PM
That Babbitt is over 90% tin, mix so you get about 2% tin.

Goatwhiskers
02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
And to think back in the day when I sure didn't know what I know now we would melt a 10lb pot almost full and add a 1lb chunk of babbit. This in .44Mag, GC. Sure nuff had some hard boolits, they would go thru cross-tie backstops like paper and not deform at all. The tin I wasted! I found my stash of babbit shims the other day, don't recall exactly how many pounds, but I know it's probably a lifetime supply properly used. We get too soon old and too late smart. GW

jeepyj
02-28-2013, 07:20 AM
So Goatwiskers...Or anyone else...If I'm reading your post correctly the amount if Babbitt (tin) will still flow even in very high ratios. So in other words for us that are not as scientific as others we could cook up like mama used to. like a pot of wheel weights , a splash of Babbitt for good measure, the right amount of heat and some love and we got shooters good enough to hit the black dot. Correct? Jeepyj

Goatwhiskers
02-28-2013, 09:05 AM
All I'm saying is me and my buddy didn't know sheep poop from boot polish. Crank the pot wide open, dump in unrefined WW, skim, and add a pound of babbit and stir well. Who knows what alloy we had, plus you Never smelt in your good lead pot. Ignorance is bliss. Now that I found the old stash and weighed the blocks I'll cut off proportional amounts to alloy with, should last a very long time. GW

jeepyj
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks, From the posts I can see that 2% seems quite agreeable. I'm quite sure that i can do the math close enough to hit that area. I just didn't want to do something stupid as I've never introduced Babbitt prior to very recently. With as many experienced casters that I'm sure have experimented before me I consider it to be smarter to ask first.
My dad always said "You don't have to be smart just surround yourself with smart people"
Jeepyj

Goatwhiskers
02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Your dad was a smart man. GW

jeepyj
02-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you, Yes he was - yj