PDA

View Full Version : annealer ??

02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I see some annealers stop in the flames ( 2 torches ) and some pass by one flame then go to a 2nd flame never stopping. I would think it would be harder to get the right temp. when the case is not right at the first flame so it has to go to a 2nd flame. I think having it stop , reach the right temp. then move on would be best. That is like hand annealing.
What i am not sure on is if the case needs to be turned while it sits in between two flames at 180 deg. to each other.
The passing by two flames would be like hand annealing and pass the case through the flame once then do it again. Why wounting you leave it in the flame untill it reached the right temp. ?
I would like to know about turning the case while annealing.
So far i have been hand annealing with the case in a deep socket in a drill. I am working on making an annealer to make it more mecantial and better timming in the flame. Any help?

220swiftfn
02-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Turning the case while annealing just keeps the temperature ring even (given your statement of two torches 180, the worst it would get would be a rise, dip, rise, dip around the case) might be visually unappealing, but perfectly functional.

BTW, the reason that the sweep annealers have two torches in succession is because the case doesn't reach the right temp before it's out of the first flame (think of it as a pre-heat followed by a final heat), and remember that if you figured out how much time the sweep kept the case heating, it would be very close to the dwell time of the other.....

Dan

cbrick
02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Here the torches are side by side and the cases rotate as they go around the wheel. This shell plate is for 357m brass but there are several others of course. The center of the shell plate is filled with water that keeps it from getting too hot but the brass stays dry.

Rick

o6Patient
02-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Cool looking gizmo cbrick, I feel the case neck should turn within the flame for uniformity
and not just be hit on one side. ( for what it's worth.

cbrick
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Cool looking gizmo cbrick, I feel the case neck should turn within the flame for uniformity

Yep, your right. Re-read the post, the cases rotate.

and not just be hit on one side. ( for what it's worth.

True, and they aren't hit only on one side . . . Did I mention the cases rotate? :mrgreen:

Rick