PDA

View Full Version : CH4D swaging and priming die

Fishman
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Has anyone used this tool? It looks like a good alternative to the RCBS version and also offers the benefit of being able to prime cases. For $31 and change, I'm thinking of trying it out.

http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=419000

salpal48
02-27-2013, 12:43 AM
I have had this tool for years and I like it very much . I found you can;t go wrong with any CH product. That's my opinion. Great people You can Talk to the owner Dave or Brian in order .I don;t use it for priming but swaging it;s very good. The only problem and it's not the tool ,it's the shell holder your using. This tool is very sensitive and you should use the same shel holder all the time . I generally use it only for large primer Not small. also different brass will swage differently and the tool will have to be adjusted. But that's true even with the Dillon.

Rolling Stone
02-28-2013, 01:06 AM
I have an earlier version of this without the primer parts. I have a few observations. 1< How are you going to get the primer into the tool? one at a time out of a tray? 2< I tried mine on .223 with crimped primers. When I put enough pressure on the case to remove the crimp, I damaged a lot of ejector grooves. It seems to work well on large primer pockets. It could be I was putting more pressure on the primer swage than necessary. I was unhappy.
I have been using a RCBS PPocket swager on 223's and it works very well for me. I like that it has a stem inside the case for the swager to press against. I also like that it has a case remover collar that seperates the case and swage pin. The stem is also a drawback as if you run different mfg cases the head is a different thickness and that will cause the stem to bend unless you are very careful. Think this thing thru before you buy anything. Sometimes price isn't everything.

dragon813gt
02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
It works like a charm and is worth well more than it sells for. I've processed a couple thousand of both sizes. If you follow the instructions and set it up correctly it works. Most people think they have to crank on it. It requires very little pressure to work. I also process as batches of mixed headstamps and haven't had to adjust it. Follow the instructions and it works as advertised.

Roundnoser
02-28-2013, 06:43 PM
I have one for swaging. Works fine for such and inexpensive tool.

Rolling Stone
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
And none of you, who have had success with this tool, have had any problems with the small primer swage and .223 brass? That makes me feel like a fool/idiot. I have missed something for sure. Are you just running the punch into the hole and not trying to make the chamfer to start the primer or what? Inquiring minds want to know.
Rolling Stone

Fishman
02-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Yes please keep the information coming!

FWest
03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
I use the CH4D primer pocket swage die. When I set it up I have a hand primer tool ready to go. Place and hold brass against the back of the shell holder, pull handle, remove, try seating primer ect. Once the primer seats tighten the lock nut and have at it.

Nice simple tool, definitively does not take much force to push back the crimp in 223. Also I use a RCBS shell holder.